Vortious Custom Cast Accessories

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Not helping your case. :trollface:

Why not? It shows the size of the skull being the same as the He-man head.

ANYWAY......
This week's special will be Torso Tuesday Everyday. So for every $30 you spend you get a free torso, of course as always you guys can piggy back this onto the daily freebies to get even more bang for your buck.

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
I just ordered 4 sets of feet. I just made a custom from the body and posted it to my deviant art in a series of photos here:

DeviantArt: 403 Forbidden

Unfortunately. no matter how I try, I can never seem to keep the Right feet from falling off the figures. I accedently snapped a peg today trying to get the right foot back in place. Picked it outta the hole in the leg. Otherwise, the custom turned out fine. Here she is:

Attachments

• Flygirl Nude Custom.jpg
    Flygirl Nude Custom.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I just ordered 4 sets of feet. I just made a custom from the body and posted it to my deviant art in a series of photos here:

Unfortunately. no matter how I try, I can never seem to keep the left feet from falling off the figures. I accedently snapped a peg today trying to get the left foot back in place. Picked it outta the hole in the leg. Otherwise, the custom turned out fine. Here she is:

Well now I see why you needed the silver straps. Guess Cobra REALLY wanted to make sure she wasn't hiding any weapons. She looks great, sorry about the ankles snapping. Is the ankle loose, or is the ankle peg too long to go in all the way?

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
right Ankle peg is loose, and I always have trouble with attaching the left foot in particular. Dunno if you have a deviant art account, but I posted a series of shots on my account there. 4 cobra Apes borrow the nude woman for a football game.

Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Left Ankle peg is loose, and I always have trouble with attaching the left foot in particular.

If the hole is loose put a small drop of heat glue in it, wet the joint peg a little, and put the joint peg in, and move it a little, and then let it cool. The peg will stay nice, and tight, but your joint peg will be able to move with no problems.

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
Thanks for the advice. I came up with a temporary replacement foot for her that fits the hole well. It was from a prior custom I attempted a few years ago where Flygirl was a robot ("Robo-girl"). I also tried to Crazy Glue the busted peg back on the foot, but the robot-foot will have to do on Flygirl until the replacements I ordered arrive. Here she is with her Gorilla master Luka (holding her chain) and some of his friends, going out for another 4-on-one football match and rushing her owner, with her favourite plaything. and wearing her slavedress:

Attachments

• Ape Masters.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • Rushing Luka.jpg
    Rushing Luka.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    449.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Dress.jpg
    Dress.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I came up with a temporary replacement foot for her that fits the hole well. It was from a prior custom I attempted a few years ago where Flygirl was a robot ("Robo-girl"). I also tried to Crazy Glue the busted peg back on the foot, but the robot-foot will have to do on Flygirl until the replacements I ordered arrive. Here she is with her Gorilla master Luka (holding her chain) and some of his friends, going out for another 4-on-one football match and rushing her owner:

If you have some thin styrene coated wire there is a fix that I've use in the past. You can drill a hole in both the upper peg, and the part that is part of the foot, and use some glue to hold the styrene wire in on both ends. Don't usually have this problem with my newer mixture though.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014

Unfortunately. no matter how I try, I can never seem to keep the left feet from falling off the figures. I accedently snapped a peg today trying to get the left foot back in place. Picked it outta the hole in the leg. Otherwise, the custom turned out fine. Here she is:

^
I've seen some of your posts at HT,lol. The responses are priceless to say the least:lmao: keep up the good work man,very different that's for sure:D

oh,you should give her handlers some cattle prods for taming that beast:D maybe some whips from Indiana jones line if she really needs direction? just a suggestion tho,don't want to tant artistic expression.:D

if you do get a mask for the head with a zipper up the face for time out? I'll fucking die!

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7JgJ3p6YP94[/ame]

Last edited:

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
Another problem was the left hand. Wondered why it wouldn't stay. Wrist was cracked, so I just ordered some extra arms so I can replace the left forearm.

Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Another problem was the right hand. Wondered why it wouldn't stay. Wrist was cracked, so I just ordered some extra arms so I can replace the right forearm.

That crack might have been a small air bubble that I didn't notice. I know that I have had that happen a few times. The heat glue trick should work to tighten that up too though.

Also I found 2 left bare feet (yes literally 2 left feet LOL) in a cup last night, probably from runs where the right foot was messed up, so I'll throw those in too.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
That is pretty Sweet. Well done!

I have several more planned too. Right now I have plans for Beast Man, Ram Man, Faker (That one is TOO easy blue He-man w/ purple fur loin cloth, and boots, and a metallic orange Skeletor chest piece, and power sword.) I have the cats too, just need to get them apart, and copy them. I also have some ideas for Man at Arms, but in the modern version he had the full body armor, and in the classic version he was basically just a HE-man w/ a different head, and armor, so... Not sure which way to run with him. I DID have the MOTU CL arm armor shrunken by a friend of mine.

I'm having allot of fun w/ the metallic colors, so when you guys order, if you want something in a metallic color let me know.

Last edited:

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
I just started a thread for my customs here. Looks like I'm gonna need one of those pairs of feet cast in the same shade of green used for my Oola custom before. Just tried posing her, and the left foot peg broke in the leg. Am thinking about doing a series of Cobra "Slave Dancers" which will include Oola, Flygirl, Scarlett and Bombstrike (when the FSS sends her later this year). All will dress like this.

http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/diorama-display/8570-customs-stuff.html

Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
I just started a thread for my customs here. Looks like I'm gonna need one of those pairs of feet cast in the same shade of green used for my Oola custom before. Just tried posing her, and the left foot peg broke in the leg. Am thinking about doing a series of Cobra "Slave Dancers" which will include Oola, Flygirl, Scarlett and Bombstrike (when the FSS sends her later this year). All will dress like this.

http://www.fighting118th.com/forum/diorama-display/8570-customs-stuff.html

Yeah those feet used the old mixtures. I've changed my formulations so many times in the last 2 years it isn't even funny. You know I can't guarantee that it'll be exactly the same shade of green right? I'll print out the pic you posted a while back and try to get it close.

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
Yea, I know it might not be exactly the same, but as long as its' close enough to the shade, I should be satisfied. Might use one shade of green paint on the fig if the colours don't match. Thanks.

Here's a pic of the Oola fig:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
Yes, but Which shade to pick? I think I used two, trying for a "tiger striped" camo effect on her.

Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Yes, but Which shade to pick? I think I used two, trying for a "tiger striped" camo effect on her.

I'll do yellow green. Which will go with either.

VV everyone knows who He-man is, and most Star Wars fans know who Oola is. So it should be fine. LOL

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
Just ordered some more hands (4 pairs; two pairs green, two pairs flesh) for both Flygirl and Oola. I have trouble fitting those in. Alot of the times, even using the hot water method to attach them, the hand pegs proove too thick for the arm holes and eventually snap.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
When it comes to cast stuff, snug is too tight for a joint. For it to last for a long time, it has to fit all but perfectly or be slightly loose. I always drill out the holes some before using anything cast. I never drill the peg drown, don't want that any weaker.

If I drill it too loose, I add paint layers to the peg until it fits nice again. The paint will wear away before the peg snaps.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Very good advise Medd. I usually use hot glue in loose joints as it too wears down some over time, but it's rubbery enough that it will hold a little snug even as it wears down.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I haven't had a single issue with any of Vortious's casts or my own using his plastic...I dip them in boiling hot water I zapped in the microwave for 1:45 first,then insert the foot or hand..

CobraOfficer999

Junkion Astronomer
Jun 30, 2014
That must be it, Contraband: Maybe I don't make them hot enough. I'll give the nuking of the water a try next time. Have any parts ever melted when you've nuked em?

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
it should super hot,just hot tap water from the faucet isn't good enough. I have had glossy Hasbro parts finish wrinkle,like hands&feet from DG figures,and dye come out of casts bought elsewhere in the past.never melted anything or distorted it in any way.

I zap a mug with water for around 1:45 till its boiling,pull it out,put my part on a spoon,dip it for a few seconds,then pull it out&insert the peg. also if the part streches a little or feels loose after it cools,you can dip it again,let it cool,and it usually tightens back up for me.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
That must be it, Contraband: Maybe I don't make them hot enough. I'll give the nuking of the water a try next time. Have any parts ever melted when you've nuked em?

He doesn't nuke the parts, just the water. I have my hot water heater turned all the way up, so I just have to run the water hot, and it is literally steaming.

Also in case you guys were wondering about what Contraband meant by his own casts using my plastic, he is one of the 2 students that I'm teaching right now, and so far it seems to me that he will be just as good at this as I am. My other student is the owner of Angry Nomad Customs. He shrinks parts (mainly right now he has MOTU, and DCUC heads shrinks in his store), and I taught him how to do the coat molds the other day so he could shrink the Star Lord coat, and I'll be showing him how I do my full wrap armor molds where the armor doesn't need to be cut to be put on the figure. A BIG part of that trick is the material that I use for the coats, capes, and web gears.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Good luck Contraband.

^
thanks!! Don't know if I need luck tho,he's a really good teacher:D so far my casts have been pretty much flawless...I started with SWgeeks videos,copied his pressure tank,and mold box style,then Vortious filled in the blanks on limbs,torsos,and using the correct plastics for the parts I'm making. I've been reading up on shrink casting aswell,after I master an entire figure I'll be attempting a few parts..mostly heads from the walking dead line to make customs for the wife.

And I have already cast my female trooper torso:D

Last edited:

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Thanks brother! Bookmarked!

He has a Mitzelplik, so awesome. King Shark is a cool one too.

I'm going to be partnering up with him on some of the items like you get the armor from me, and the head from him. Man at Arms is the first one we're going to do like that. I'm modding the McDonalds one's armor, because it'll fit the Herc, and Colossus bucks depending on the one you want to make, but the McDonalds one's head is WAY too small, but he shrank the MOTU Classics one's head. Might be the start of a casting co-op.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
Great paint job on that Cyborg Superman!

Thanks. Eyes have always been my weak spot when doing customs, but I've read a few tutorials about how to do them, and they always say to use a 3/0 brush, so when I was at Walmart looking for X-acto Z-blades (in vain since they were STILL sold out 2 weeks now) I looked at the brush packs, and they had a pack that had a 3/0 brush in it, so I grabbed that, and after I put the last load in the other night I decided to try to paint these heads. It took about 3, or 4 tries for the Hank Henshaw head's right eye, and 2, or 3 for the Faker head's left eye. I think I finally have eyes figured out.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
^
thanks!! Don't know if I need luck tho,he's a really good teacher:D so far my casts have been pretty much flawless...I started with SWgeeks videos,copied his pressure tank,and mold box style,then Vortious filled in the blanks on limbs,torsos,and using the correct plastics for the parts I'm making. I've been reading up on shrink casting aswell,after I master an entire figure I'll be attempting a few parts..mostly heads from the walking dead line to make customs for the wife.

And I have already cast my female trooper torso:D

nice!

Your gonna need one of these soon.......

Sry bro, had to. :trollface: