Which weapons are more true to scale? Marauder or Unimax/bbi?

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
I appologize if this isn't the section where this question belongs, but I couldn't find any other forum where it seemed appropriate.

Anyway, the weapons from Unimax and bbi seem smaller, for the most part, next to Marauder's weapons. For example, the new M240B from Marauders is larger than the one from Unimax. The M249 SAW from Marauders is larger than the Unimax SAW. But, there are a couple of different bbi M249 SAWs that are much larger than the SAWs from Unimax, and some bbi M249s are smaller and appear more in-scale.

Please don't misunderstand me, I really like Marauders' weapons, and I have spent lots of money over the past few years on them because of how well-detailed they are and reasonably priced, and I will continue to buy from Marauder John.

So which brand of weapons is more true to scale, though: Marauders or Unimax/bbi?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
None of them are 100% all the time. Unimax generally is too small, especially their support MGs. MGR try to keep the scale right, but it doesn't always happen. Some of them are quite large, and then some are quite small.

It's a confluence of figure's not being proportioned 100% correctly with guns scaled different ways. I say take it on a case-by-case basis and use the one that looks best.

It helps to look at multiple photos of the actual gun being carried and remember they look different on different people.

An M16 looks big in the hands of a petite woman, but will look small in the hands of Andre the Giant.

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
Yep, that's what I've done, looked at pictures of military personnel carrying various weapons, comparing them to my Joe and Cobra figures and trying to figure out which brand of weapons look more in-scale with what figures. I do use a mix of MGR, bbi and Unimax. As far as Hasbro, I mainly only use them for their handguns, since I think the other 3 brands' heavier weapons look more authentic compared to Hasbros'. But that's just me.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hasbro occasionally has the best (Winter Soldier SVD) or only (VSS, USAS 12) option. I won't touch a Joe pistol that isn't the ME 1911A1. I don't appreciate my guns not having trigger guards. They did do possibly the best Luger P08 in the scale, though.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Well, if you go with the standard 4in = 1:18, based on a 6ft person -

Some Unimax and BBI stuff is about as close as you're going to get. The M4 as an example -

Top down

Marauder
Hasbro
BBI
Unimax

Unimax and BBI are the better scaled, while the latter is better detailed. Hasbro's isn't that bad really, but it's not as accurate. Marauders is too big, but has decent detail. Except for the fact that the barrel is lower than the chamber/bolt.

So there it is from me at least. Take it for what you will.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think the Hasbro one is disqualified for mirroring both sides.

The uni one is 46+mm which is almost perfect. I just wish it had a better stock

Last edited:

Wry1

Enlisted
Jun 7, 2011
Well, if you go with the standard 4in = 1:18, based on a 6ft person -

Some Unimax and BBI stuff is about as close as you're going to get. The M4 as an example -

Top down

Marauder
Hasbro
BBI
Unimax

Unimax and BBI are the better scaled, while the latter is better detailed. Hasbro's isn't that bad really, but it's not as accurate. Marauders is too big, but has decent detail. Except for the fact that the barrel is lower than the chamber/bolt.

So there it is from me at least. Take it for what you will.

that BBI one is by far my favorite M4 thus far.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
I've casted a few, gonna cast a few more for this next batch of customs I'm working on. lmk if you need a couple man.

Hell yeah! Lmk when you have a couple ready, and to be fair, lmk what I can give you for them. Thank you, Sir.