You decide 1:18 AH-1W SuperCobra paintjob.

What to do?

• Total voters

Starfighter

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
Wow. I didn't know they were doing desert schemes on Cobras.

*must use my google fu to investigate*

They are not. It looked like it in a pick that I had seen. I did track this particular helo down. It is now part of Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 264 (HMM-264) and flies Special Operations Capable (SOC). That squadron is called the "Black Knights" and here is the current paint scheme (it is pretty beat up looking) The BuNo is no longer "162542" but is now "26211":

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
I did see a couple pics where they had done some desert camo after Desert Storm, c. 1993 or so. I don't think it went widespread though. I think around that time they went universally from the green/grey camo to just grey.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
That was the one with the dark brown and tan, correct T-Dan? I had a model kit that had those colors on the box art. It looked ok, but I always preferred the greens over the grey.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
That was the one with the dark brown and tan, correct T-Dan? I had a model kit that had those colors on the box art. It looked ok, but I always preferred the greens over the grey.

Yup, I found it on a model builders site. He had pics of the original and then his model.

I built a green/grey Whiskey Cobra back in the day, 1:72 if I remember correctly. Also built a green/grey Harrier II in 1:48, a 1:48 'Hog in green/dark green, and a 1:48 MiG-29 in tan/green/brown, all obsolete paint schemes now, but they looked great then! Good times (before girls :D)!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Yeah, Whiskey didn't survive the moves. The others are at different levels of okay after moving 5 times.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
THEY…. meaning the Army. They don't have twin engine Cobras. Or Cobras at all anymore, to my knowledge. Unless there's some bum-fuck-nowhere Natty Guard unit somewhere that has them.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
45th still uses the cobra AND the apache as well as UH-1s UH-2s UH-60s and kiowas

45th What? ANG/NG/SDF/Army Reserves?

And I don't believe you. There's no unit that has attack aircraft and a UH-2 ASW/SW helo in the same wing. Let alone UH-1/Apaches.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
THEY…. meaning the Army. They don't have twin engine Cobras. Or Cobras at all anymore, to my knowledge. Unless there's some bum-fuck-nowhere Natty Guard unit somewhere that has them.

The only Cobras you're likely to see on Army bases are static displays. Long retired from the active inventories. There's a couple of active long body Hueys on Hood, though.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
The 45th out of Oklahoma is an Infantry Brigade Combat team. They don't have air assets organically assigned to them. Especially not the UH-2 Seasprite helo.

And for the record, the ANG (Air National Guard) has never operated Cobra.

Last edited:

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
The 45th out of Oklahoma is an Infantry Brigade Combat team. They don't have air assets organically assigned to them. Especially not the UH-2 Seasprite helo.

And for the record, the ANG has never operated Cobra.

thecorporation

Task Force 27
Jun 9, 2011
Redacted
I occasionally see these bastards flying when work takes me down pendleton way. They look scary as f%@$ when you see them flying toward you. All the ones I've seen were grey. Last time I was down that way I saw a cobra on one side of the road and a convoy of humvees and mraps on the other.

loadedtomcat

Magnificent Bastard
Mar 18, 2011
DO NOT PAINT. If you did, I'd actually be pretty pissed about it. You know what people are paying for these? its not you can find these on shelves anymore. It'd be a total waste; minus well sell it to someone who wants it as is

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I occasionally see these bastards flying when work takes me down pendleton way. They look scary as f%@$ when you see them flying toward you. All the ones I've seen were grey. Last time I was down that way I saw a cobra on one side of the road and a convoy of humvees and mraps on the other.

Yeah, all Super Cobras have been grey since the mid-'90s.

Wait till you see the Zulus. Didn't think you could make Cobras look more aggressive, but they managed it.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Yeah, all Super Cobras have been grey since the mid-'90s.

Wait till you see the Zulus. Didn't think you could make Cobras look more aggressive, but they managed it.

Hell yeah the did. That thing is freakin' scary. I actually have something to look forward to seeing next time I get sent to Mojave Viper!

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Are the Zulus going to happen (beyond the prototype stage)? Last I knew the upgrade had been shelved for a few years.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
DoN has appreoved full rate production, between new airframes and retrofits.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think the only thing an Apache has over the Viper is range and the Longbow radar suite. I don't know if the Block III upgrade is gonna do anything for the Apache other than allow it to not to be a complete slug in Afghanistan.

Oh, it will let you control a UAV from the gunner seat, too.