Zundapp sidecar project - July 2nd

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
I have several of the Indiana Jones German Motorcycles, which are pretty cool, more toy the replica, but still very cool.

I scoured the internet looking for a 1:18 version with the sidecar and MG. No luck.

I noticed on the Indiana Jones German motorcycle, there was a hole near the rear wheel, right where the sidecar would attach... hmmm... apparently they designed it for one but never put it into production! Maybe I can take advantage of this...

So I decided, since I have a 3D printer, maybe I could make my own! My printer is entry level and I am new to this, but what the hell... I have 3D modeling skills, though I had to remember them, and learn new ones...

So I found a model I could start with, and began tinkering with it... lot's of failures, but little by little the successes are outnumbering the failures.

First I started with the suspension, which I had to alter significantly, now I have it just right, it even has spring to it!

So I began working on the sidecar cab, which still needs some tweaking, but is very close.

Then I started on the wheels, which I got to print nicely... but wait! I tested some PLU (A rubber like material) on another project and thought, hey... I could make rubber tires to match the ones on the cycle! Well, I kept the more relistic looking ones from the model, but I split the model and printed the tire in PLU rubber, and designed my own hub from scratch. I still need to add a hint of spokes, but it is already close to what I want.

The machine gun mount was next. I created this from scratch, and it works well!

Lot's more tweaking and extras to add, like the front cases, actual lights on the fenders, not just bumps, lol.

This has been a great learning experience, and when I am finished, I will have a sweet sidecar to add to my GermanZundapp_Sidecar_Prototype_05_01a.jpgZundapp_Sidecar_Prototype_05_01b.jpgZundapp_Sidecar_Prototype_05_01.jpgZundapp_Sidecar_Prototype_05_02.jpgZundapp_Sidecar_Prototype_05_03.jpg motorcycles!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Looks good !
I made and kitted one years ago but the molds are shot now.
I have had quite a few guys want one but this damn Hind project is holding me back.

Here is a quicky full build that I did .
No weathering
brake handles on backwards ( the Indy's are anyway)
No fender stifiners.

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
The legendary Picklehaube!!! You showed up to to make me look like the noob I am! LOL, just kidding! You sir are the reason I came here... I followed a thread about the Jagdpanther you made.... you sir are the master! I am truly in awe of your work!!

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
I love how you adapted to the scale thing... one thing I am learning, you can not have true scale for some things at 1:18th scale. I understand now, how toy makers have to walk that fine line between staying true to the real thing, yet exaggerating certain proportions in order to maintain strength. In this fantastic example or yours, I see you have mastered that exaggeration, this looks perfect! Why don't you do work for a major company and get your stuff mass produced?

OddBall64

Jun 29, 2020
Midwest
Oh, and thank you for your posts!!! I learn a lot from looking at the photos!! For instance, I have yet to put insignia's on the tanks I painted, because I want to stencil them, but couldn't figure out how to make them so they don't bleed. Then I saw your brilliant stencils!! Now I am inspired to try your method!

Sgt301

Oct 20, 2018
Wow, those sidecars are great looking. I would definitely buy one for my Indy German MC if either of you gents ever starts making the kits.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I love how you adapted to the scale thing... one thing I am learning, you can not have true scale for some things at 1:18th scale. I understand now, how toy makers have to walk that fine line between staying true to the real thing, yet exaggerating certain proportions in order to maintain strength. In this fantastic example or yours, I see you have mastered that exaggeration, this looks perfect! Why don't you do work for a major company and get your stuff mass produced?

Scale is a bitch because the figures aren't 1:18 exactly and don't behave and fit in things like real humans do. 1:18 cars look great next to figures but getting them inside is usually a real challenge.

More than anything it's best to make it 'close enough' I think.

Reactions: OddBall64

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
You guys are right , there is a lot of give and take when dealing with scale items.
The Indy bike is actually closer to 1/16 scale but my side car is 1/18th.
Making them work together was a challenge.
Another challenge is making something that will be copied .
You have to build something knowing that you have to tear the parts down to cast them.
That alone almost triples the work that has to be done over a "one of ".
I usually get a scale model ( 1/35 -1/32 scale) to measure as a guide for pieced.
I have gotten carried away making a part for a custom then checking that part against the 1/18 item and finding out that the part I have just made does not fit.
It is either to small or too big !!!
Then the part has to be remade .

• Wow
Reactions: OddBall64