Rex's WIPs

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Holy crap! I didn't even realize that SR sculpt was actually the Zartan disguised head, until I read Eddie's post. Good call on that one, MR.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Haha, thanks guys. Tollbooth is almost done. I haven't had much time in the last few weeks to do much work except some details here and there, and then let them dry. At least they're getting a LOT of drying time in between coats! :rolleyes:

I added a PTE sledgehammer to Tollbooth, but it looks silly how small it is. I think I'll just use a Shock Trooper 'hammer?

Yeah, the head is a repainted "disguised" Zartan head from the desert TRU set. The same as I used on my kitbash Repeater, except now I'm repainting that TRU Repeater/Footloose and adding the SDS head, to make a more proper one. I had thought about dry rub, but don't know if I can find letters small enough to fit the tiny hat. I want to keep the yellow front panel, though. It says "trucker hat", which Steam-Roller definitely is. It just needs something on it. Also, I'm not sure if I'll add that silly heart tattoo.

I bought 2 of those Captain Americas off Amazon for $10 a pop, because I had $300 of Amazon cash to use, and I hadn't found him in stores. I had considered using the other for Monkeywrench (this was due to unclassified pointing me to that figure in the first place, so thanks uc) but the Cap itself is total garbage. The head and hands are maybe the only useful things that are sculpted well and don't waste articulation, except they can't really be used for much besides Cap in the first place. :(

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Dry rub letters can get REALLY small...trust me, they have a size that would work for you...what color and font you looking for, I might have something that'll work

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Awesome paintwork, man. Would SDS still have those heads?

Which ones? The Tollbooth head was only up for about 2-3 weeks as it was a new head, then they pulled it for some reason. The only way I got one was because Fogger snagged one for me from SlayerCon this year.

The Metal-Head may still be available. It had been up since around July or earlier. The one with the ballcap is a Hasbro Rise of Cobra head, from the desert TRU 5-pack with Repeater/Footloose/etc. It's the alternate "Zartan disguise" head.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
So thanks to Eddie it sounds like I'm going to get some dry rub lettering!

I'll post pics in a bit, but all that is left on Steam-Roller is his arm tat, hat lettering, revolver holster, and some minor details and touchups.

Tollbooth is finished, although I didn't paint the black insignia on his right arm, because I can't tell what it is. Anyone know?

Also, I cut down the arms on SR, but I still need to shave down the arm diameter at the wrist so it fits the glove diameter. I already fixed the right arm, I just need to sand it with sandpaper to make it cleaner and maybe add a little super glue to snug up the fit of the wrist peg in the arm. By cutting off a little of the wrist, I was able to make his arms look less gorilla-like.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Here's the pics:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I have to fix the arms (you can see where the arm ends need to be sanded flat, I did the cutting last night at 2am before turning in) but you can get an idea of what it'll look like.

I have an Indy holster with a molded-in revolver to go on SR, buckle-mounted like the original figure. Any thoughts on doing something different? I thought about the one that came with Tunnel Rat, but I don't really give a damn if the pistol's removable or not, to be honest. I also didn't repaint the eyes on SR, I just painted around them. I'm thinking about repainting them completely, to be honest.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
that TB head sculpt is so freaking great!...it really has that steriotypical look down...

and i had no interest in making a SR, but yours looks so good, that i actually want to now...wonder if he could be made almost paintless

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Not sure... You can get those legs in brown from SMB2 Dialtone, but he'll cost you a pretty penny. The torso would need at least the pants portion painted (like I did) and you still need a black vest to glue the grenades to.

You know me. Lately, I prefer to make them as paintless as possible, but these both required some amount of paint to get the legs to match properly to the figure.

I used TF Duke legs for TB, so the base color was already a similar brown, minus the camo. So that helped.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'm still trying to figure out parts formulas for Wild Card, Armadillo, Colonel Courage, Stretcher, Salvo, and Muskrat, but those are the next ARAH figures in my queue. I've gotta wrap up the "spare parts" figures but they're on hold as they may be donors for some of my other customs...

I'm also contemplating making a hybrid version of Charbroil based off the ROC version and the ARAH one, but that's just TBD. Nothing final on that guy.

After that, I guess I've got some heads to paint for some ZVs, although I need to buy at least 2 more ZVs to have a body to put the heads on. And then several more customs once my SDS order arrives. (Whenever that is... *waits impatiently*)

Here's Steam-Roller wrapped up (finished his hat thanks to Eddie) and the RnR V2 head on my hybrid RnR (I gotta send this out to Fogger soon) and my Metal-Head with the final touches (knife, thanks to Cloud) and my Rock Vipers with their new SDS heads.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
can't wait to see what you use for muskrat, i have one i made long time ago just never painted it. the vest was a problem, so i used the roc ripcord desert frigure or whatever it was, i bought a shit load of them because the gear was so bad ass.

anyway, for the figure, i used beach heads head from the comic pack because mr is a ginger head, and mindbender arms and torso, i cant remember whose legs though.

i want a muskrat so bad.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
All of them look, MR! The dry-rub transfer for Steam Roller's "DOG" look perfect. I'll have to see if Eddie can help me out when I get around to making Steam Roller. I never bought any of the Rock Vipers for some reason, but the Slayer sculpts look great painted up and are way better than the reused sculpt they gave him. I can't wait to get the sculpt for MH, and your choice for the base figure for MH works great, as well as the web gear. I'm jealous, man. Fogger should be very pleased with that V2 RnR head sculpt. It looks great. I need to finish painting the ones I'm doing for him. I haven't worked on anything for the past 2 weeks b/c I haven't had the time. I need to clean my work area too.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
can't wait to see what you use for muskrat, i have one i made long time ago just never painted it. the vest was a problem, so i used the roc ripcord desert frigure or whatever it was, i bought a shit load of them because the gear was so bad ass.

anyway, for the figure, i used beach heads head from the comic pack because mr is a ginger head, and mindbender arms and torso, i cant remember whose legs though.

i want a muskrat so bad.

I'm not sure on whether or not Stone's arms match the skin tone, but I bought an extra set of those TRU figs when I found them at Ross for $10. Unfortunately, I've already parted out both of those Footleese or I'd let you snag one.

As for Muskrat, I'm probably doing the spare parts route like you... I currently have the Mindbender torso with that very same vest! Haha. He's not a critical figure to me, I just think he looks cool so a kitbash is all he's getting for now. I can see them releasing him in the future, to be honest.

All of them look, MR!
But look how?! :D

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
I'm not sure on whether or not Stone's arms match the skin tone, but I bought an extra set of those TRU figs when I found them at Ross for $10. Unfortunately, I've already parted out both of those Footleese or I'd let you snag one.

As for Muskrat, I'm probably doing the spare parts route like you... I currently have the Mindbender torso with that very same vest! Haha. He's not a critical figure to me, I just think he looks cool so a kitbash is all he's getting for now. I can see them releasing him in the future, to be honest.

But look how?! :D

this is what i did to my vest. it's a bit hard to see, all i have is a phone. but hop you get the picture.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think I'll take a pocket or 2 off... But something similar to that is my plan, anyways.

I actually may look at using the Cap vest I used for Steam-Roller... Whatever my options are, I won't be 100% happy with it.

Legs are my problem, right now. I don't have proper fodder for it, but I don't want to buy a guy just to steal his legs. I have waaay too many parts right now, and I'm trying to wrap up my customizing with the next 10-20 customs, and try to be done with them.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
use the tanks part thread. i can't even think of legs that would be close enough as the vintage figure. and for the vest i was thinking before, the secod 25th road blocks vest might work well.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They look great!...really dig yer Metal Head...

The "DOG" came out very nice...how much time did you spend on it *snicker*

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Use all you want...theyre back in my "POL", so basically they are yours now...never really expected to see them again...

Yet you have time to ship MB a dildo...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Just a little work I did on my DG Shipwrecks...

Painted detail work on Shipwreck and gave him the web gear from Tiger Force Duke. I got rid of most of the brown on his uniform except his boots and gloves to help differentiate him a little more from Deep Six.

Deep Six is just a head swap from the Comic Pack D6, except I repainted his head after shaving off the awful webbing from the mold that went from ear to ear, right below his jaw. And I gave him the life preserver from the comic pack Shippy, and painted the straps on him and gave him ROC Hawk's shoulder harness.

The head sits a tad high, so I may lower it down, but I also have plans for the Comic Pack D6 robot-suit, so I am holding off for now.

And the other dude is just a Jason Statham head on a kitbashed body that I threw together, basically just to test painting on. It was a bunch of spare parts that I had no plans for otherwise, and I liked how he turned out. Sorry for the blown out pics, it was with my iPhone. I'll post better pictures later.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
if i recall, in the few shots they show of him in civies, he is wearing some kind of boonie hat...thats actually what i meant when i said beanie