Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
See if these work:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
That looks like a foul-weather cap. It should be a little longer in the back, to keep rain off the neck. A boonie cap would work, you just want to sculpt an extension in the rear if you want it to look authentic.

I know where at least part of this post is going to end up.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Haha. I have several of those blue camo boonies. I may have to use one of those. What color would be "correct", or close enough? A tan or gray color? I can't think of what color would look right with that bright blue shirt, gray pants and orange vest.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
From what I can remember, they come in a variety of colors, depending on where and when they were issued. I recall white, tan, blue and green for sure.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Gonna dust this ol' thread off...

I've been busy off and on, working on customs here and there, but I've been bad about documenting anything. Since I'm not working right now, and have some time off, I decided to get back to some customs as I have a lot of stuff I want to photograph, and it's easiest for me to shoot it all at once with my limited light and space.

Anyways, I'm redoing my O13. I got in an order from Tofujesse and still probably need about 5 more of those wonderful DG/Dusty helmets, but I've since outfitted half of the O13 with new helmets, and went back and revisited several of them. Zap got the new helmet, nothing big there. Grunt and Short-Fuze I just started from scratch, ditching the 25th figure altogether, using the DG Duke base instead. Mostly paint apps and parts swaps, nothing big there, either. But I'm really happy with how they turned out, regardless. Breaker and Clutch are a bit more extensive. I'm using Renegades TR torsos to give them the proper short sleeves, and this also gives them longer torsos. I'll post pics of all these guys in the next day or so, hopefully. Clutch, you'll see below. My biggest hold up is Steeler, of all things. Part of me wants to update him, while I partially want to try to get as close to his vintage look as possible. I was only "okay" with my previous Steeler:

The problem is, his neck is too short using the WB torso, and also the webgear doesn't actually clasp because the WB torso is thicker at the waist. I'm also considering ditching the giant visor, although of all the parts, I want to keep the visor/helmet/head and webgear combo. I guess what I want are those vintage elements, and the split-jacket/mechanic suit look of the classic shirt. What I don't want is to use the Snake Eyes torso that looks like a sweater. I think eventually, I'm going to have to either go with one, or the other, if I want to keep him as paint-rub-free as possible. New torso options include both the Steel Brigade Delta driver and the Retaliation Trooper, or even a ZV torso. Anyways, just some things I've been considering, and suggestions are much appreciated.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
On to the actual new stuff....

Crankcase!

With Crankcase, I was "okay" with the 25th version, but I always hated that goofy Breaker head, and I hated the beard much more. I realized the other day after reading the TPB of the Classic ARAH comic that the GIJCC Footloose looks exactly like Crankcase, so I got one of the cast ones from TofuJesse and painted it up with a slightly different deco, so hopefully he won't look too twinny with FL and Claymore. I also have one of the DG helmet casts painted up in a light gray for him too. (Not in the pic.)

Where I need some feedback, is do I stick with the current pictured webgear? Or go with 30th Stalker webgear, cutting off the diagonal chest strap and removing the silly knife sheath? Also, lower arms are still TBD, I'm considering using either 25th Flint arms with the wrist watch and 2 open hands, or using 30th Law lower arms/hands.

Legs are also TBD, they'll either be the ones pictured, or the Snake Eyes mold version of the legs. I'm not sure on that yet, either. I'm waiting on 2 figures from Cloud, whose SB-hoarding from BBTS really helped me out! Thanks CS! :D

Zombie Vipers!

I need one more ZV so I can actually keep the factory head on one, and have 4 unique ZVs. I went ahead and painted up the Bantha5 headcasts, which are amazing. They are also cast in almost the perfect color, too. With a slight wash of Tamiya Light Sea Gray, and some cyan veins/highlights and a little black here and there for pitted areas, they match up almost perfectly to the factory head sculpt, while having completely unique looks. I will post pics of the figures soon, because on the bodies, they look even more factory than side-by-side like in my line up here. That's a Tofujesse sculpt on the left, btw. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with that yet, since the color's not the same as the others, and will need me to match up the base blue if I want to match the factory head.

Perhaps cut it up and move the jaw so it looks like yet another ZV? Then I'd need TWO more ZVs! :) I'm also considering "zombifying" some spare part fodder, and just having some fun with it. I'm not trying to hop on the zombie bandwagon, but it's sort of fun.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
For Steeler, I used the the WB torso front the tiger rat and I can't remember which legs, but the color was almost spot on...then I lengthened the harness in back...think I did some kinda neck mod too...been a long time since I did that one...

I really like the legs you used on CC...MUCH better, and that head is perfect for him...they always drew him kinda old and crotchety...the one thing I hate about CC though is the trooper harness they gave him...but it's cast in brown so I'm hesitant to change it...any other harnesses come cast in brown?

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Steeler REALLY needs a CVC lid. I shouldn't have to tell you how ridiculous his helmet-mounted Virtual Boy headset looks. ;)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
For Steeler, I used the the WB torso front the tiger rat and I can't remember which legs, but the color was almost spot on...then I lengthened the harness in back...think I did some kinda neck mod too...been a long time since I did that one...

I really like the legs you used on CC...MUCH better, and that head is perfect for him...they always drew him kinda old and crotchety...the one thing I hate about CC though is the trooper harness they gave him...but it's cast in brown so I'm hesitant to change it...any other harnesses come cast in brown?

You know, I may actually just use those legs. I'm waiting on the other ones to see which I like though before I paint the boots brown and do something with the kneepads (likely just painting them khaki/brown versus black/green). Regardless, I'll be using the SE legs on Keel-Haul.

Yeah, the head is perfect for him. I like it for Claymore too, just not Footloose. I at least painted the hair a bit more red than the FL head, though. As for the webgear, I was thinking of doing something like this:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/176462-30th-crankcase.html

Basically, taking the 30th Stalker webgear like Eopie did, except cut off the knife sheath too. I think what he did looks great and updates him some. Like you, I hate the Trooper harness. I wish they'd created a new one for the 30th Trooper. That's that figure's only real flaw besides shitty distribution.

As for the ZV heads, you asked for the link yesterday, here it is:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-joe-customs-finished-projects/218164-custom-zombie-heads.html

Steeler REALLY needs a CVC lid. I shouldn't have to tell you how ridiculous his helmet-mounted Virtual Boy headset looks. ;)

In all likelihood, being the ARAH F.A.G. that I am, I'll probably do the vintage headset, but probably have an alternate one too that is more modern. I'll probably dig through Jesse's or Raginspoon's libraries to see what they've got...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Eopies CC is AWESOME!...that harness looks great on him...and WTH can I get that head?...did he cast it and sell it?...I think it looks even better than the FL head...

One thing I don't like is the cuff less sleeves...lazy...if yer gonna go that way, take the time to make some kind of edge...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Yeah, Eopie's is dope. It's what gave me the idea (obviously) for the harness alternate idea and the legs... although I was originally planning on using the SE legs, once I saw his, I liked the double pockets. Only thing is, I'd like for him to at least have a side arm. Once I get those other legs in, I can decide after testing them out.

I really like his head, too. Although after someone said it in that thread, all I can see is fucking Dale Earnhardt now. So that bugs me...

And yeah, the cuffless sleeves bug me. I also really dig his shirt being the ribbed sweater, but dislike the turtleneck look. I much prefer if he just had the open collar, which is why I opted to just stick with the Shipwreck torso of the original one, since I'm not looking at doing a ton of sculpting on this, or painting.

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I'm diggin' the updates, Rex!

The Footloose/Claymore head sculpt actually works really well for Crankcase. I think it looks better than the one EH used. I think the head EH used is a little goofy looking.

Sticking with the 25th Flint/Crankcase lower arms will eliminate the need to match skin tones. While I prefer the Law arms, I know you like to try and avoid painting when possible, so that the likelihood of paint rub is less likely to happen.

If you decide to go with the v1 Steel Brigade Trooper legs, just don't go the route that EH went and paint the entire knee joint black. The actual pad is in the middle with the inner ridge. The area outside of that is suppose to be the pants. Whoever sculpted the knee joint just did a bad job of making it look like fabric (no folds or wrinkles).

I recommend using the Delta Steel Brigade torso for Steeler. I'd use those arms as well.

Just my 2 cents worth. Looking good though, man!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, Eopie's is dope. It's what gave me the idea (obviously) for the harness alternate idea and the legs... although I was originally planning on using the SE legs, once I saw his, I liked the double pockets. Only thing is, I'd like for him to at least have a side arm. Once I get those other legs in, I can decide after testing them out.

I really like his head, too. Although after someone said it in that thread, all I can see is fucking Dale Earnhardt now. So that bugs me...

And yeah, the cuffless sleeves bug me. I also really dig his shirt being the ribbed sweater, but dislike the turtleneck look. I much prefer if he just had the open collar, which is why I opted to just stick with the Shipwreck torso of the original one, since I'm not looking at doing a ton of sculpting on this, or painting.

Cant you just use the side arm/holster you like on the legs you like?...mod on there somehow?...trim it down to fit the contours correctly then glue it in place?

And while I've heard of dale ernheart, I have zero clue what he looks like...

As for the ribbed sweater...I much prefer that more ARAH accurate torso too...but the collar piece isn't right...isn't there a more traditional button up shirt collar piece out there somewhere on a figure that could be modded to work?..maybe I'm imagining things...anyway, that would be really cool if you make the ribbed shirt work AND get the right collar...

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
You could add the collar to the Resolute Cobra Trooper torso like Badgumbo did:

Of course, this would require painting the entire torso. It looks like he sculpted the shirt below the harness as well.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
MULTI-POST REPLY, ACTIVATE!

I'm diggin' the updates, Rex!

The Footloose/Claymore head sculpt actually works really well for Crankcase. I think it looks better than the one EH used. I think the head EH used is a little goofy looking.

Sticking with the 25th Flint/Crankcase lower arms will eliminate the need to match skin tones. While I prefer the Law arms, I know you like to try and avoid painting when possible, so that the likelihood of paint rub is less likely to happen.

If you decide to go with the v1 Steel Brigade Trooper legs, just don't go the route that EH went and paint the entire knee joint black. The actual pad is in the middle with the inner ridge. The area outside of that is suppose to be the pants. Whoever sculpted the knee joint just did a bad job of making it look like fabric (no folds or wrinkles).

I recommend using the Delta Steel Brigade torso for Steeler. I'd use those arms as well.

Just my 2 cents worth. Looking good though, man!

Thanks man. It's been a while since I did much work, I needed to get something done.

Well, it's not that I mind painting large areas, it's painting main joints. Shoulders, mid-torso, elbow joint mostly. I ended up keeping the Crankcase lower arms, although I do miss the wristwatch. What I did, instead, was add 30th Stalker hands (with the new joint) and then cut off the pants leg cuff right above the foot on some Star Wars fodder I had laying around. Then Dremeled out the peg indention so that it would slip on over the wrists and not have odd hand-ball-peg showing. It worked like a charm, I'll post pics. So I'm saving the Law for now, ended up not needing it. I actually like the balled-up fist for dios/photos, but in general it's sort of a shitty figure feature.

I'm actually thinking the Steel Brigade trooper will be the best bet, as much as I hate chopping up that figure for a custom. He's a tad pricy on eBay, I'll see if I can scrounge a spare first. If the silly Retaliation trooper didn't have that damned silly neck/collar mod to the Shock torso (WHY!? WHY DID THEY DO THAT?!?) it'd be perfect, since I love those arms. Legs, not so much...

And yeah, I'm going to paint the knee pads. I wanna make sure I want to use the Shock legs over the SE mold, but I'm almost certain I want to keep the current legs now. At worst, one of my Shock-bodied SBs will have different pants. :)

Cant you just use the side arm/holster you like on the legs you like?...mod on there somehow?...trim it down to fit the contours correctly then glue it in place?

And while I've heard of dale ernheart, I have zero clue what he looks like...

As for the ribbed sweater...I much prefer that more ARAH accurate torso too...but the collar piece isn't right...isn't there a more traditional button up shirt collar piece out there somewhere on a figure that could be modded to work?..maybe I'm imagining things...anyway, that would be really cool if you make the ribbed shirt work AND get the right collar...

It'd have to be sculpted. If I had a spare Mutt torso, I'd do it on that, because I like those sleeves better anyways, and the color is actually closer to the vintage figure anyways, but that's a lot to sculpt for someone who hasn't done much sculpting to that level... Google Dale Earnhardt. He looks like that head EB used!

You could add the collar to the Resolute Cobra Trooper torso like Badgumbo did...

Of course, this would require painting the entire torso. It looks like he sculpted the shirt below the harness as well.

I actually thought about adding the collar on that one, but it was easier to just go the route I did. Less paint wear, too. (i.e. I'm lazy.)

Pretty cool little detail he added...then didn't paint match the skin tones...I miss his work...

I think he's still around at HT. I should invite him over!

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
So, good call Cloud. While I hate messing up that awesome SB Delta figure, the torso and arms are a perfect fit for the 25th Zap legs. I mean perfect match.

I'd use the entire SBD figure, but I want to retain the matching lower legs that the other guys have. My O13 will sport semi-matching gear, although no 2 members wind up with the same gear. (Well, except for Flash and Grand Slam, so far...) The only thing that bugs me is the greens don't match each other for the guys wearing OD green. Stalker's uniform got washed the most... Damn, they need to get color-safe bleach in the Pit's laundry facility!

For now, I'm just using my left over 30th Stalker torso to replace the missing SBDelta torso, and eventually I'll wind up painting the crotch to match the SB legs. If you don't look closely, the only big giveaway that the upper torso isn't the correct one is that it's now missing those large diamond pockets on the shoulders, which I never really dug in the first place. I just looked up a replacement SBD on eBay, and they want $25 for him. No thank you.

So Steeler's done, for the most part. I just need to figure out some minor things, but glue and paint are drying on a few items so I guess it's time to turn to the last 3... RnR (maybe), Flash, and Grand Slam. I actually can't stand Grand Slam being an exact clone of Flash, so I may mix things up with him. Not sure on that one yet. I also have the ROC Grand Slam, so I guess I could maybe tweak that one or something? Grand Slam is probably the worst O13 figure. I did give GS a spare Channing Tatum head, who with the visor down, doesn't look much like Tatum, nor an exact clone of Flash, but it's still close.

I really like what Cloud and ceraurus did with their Flash and Grand Slam, but I want mine to be closer to vintage... I guess the 25th Flash is fine, even with that dopey head.

And RnR I'm not sure on. Now that I've updated the others, I'm starting to dislike my previous RnR custom. Grrr.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I really want to update Flash/GS somehow...I'm so done with the torso they use, especially since Hasbro saw fit to use it on like what, 50 other figures since the 25th line began?...Almost considering ditching the padding idea all together...I don't know...I'll wait till I see some other good idea to steal :D

Personally, I REALLY like the sweater/turtleneck torso, so I may use it on ALL of the O13 (though keep SE and Stalker in their original colors...maybe make the turtlenecks red ala the comics?)...and use the classic style lower legs like you plan to do... and then give a little variety in the gear department...different harnesses/vests...

Are their any figures that use the sweater/turtleneck that have a green/dark green color?

Get busy MR so I can see what this looks like...

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Don't know if you have the resolute 7 pack, but I just noticed the BH and Stalker figures both have the turtleneck piece...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Don't know if you have the resolute 7 pack, but I just noticed the BH and Stalker figures both have the turtleneck piece...

Yeah unless someone casts those (I swore I thought someone had them at one point... Raginspoon?) I'm not buying Resolute figs to steal from. Although I could probably find use for either BH or Stalker for spare parts, so I may look into that for at least one...

Here's Breaker, Crankcase (more finished) and Steeler:

Only thing left to do to Steeler is to maybe adjust his harness so it sits on the side, versus in the center. Not sure why Hasbro did that. Crankcase, just waiting on legs to decide whether to paint these legs or the SE mold. That's a 15 minute fix, though, so I'm pretty happy with him as he's almost done.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

Could use the 25th BH toso and arms. He has a sweater. Really wish there would a good button-up shirt. I don't mind a couple of guys on the team sporting commando sweaters, but i wouldn't have all the team in them.

Pro Tip: Those weren't really meant for comabt duty. :D

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They look good mang...really have me considering ditching the original O13 legs entirely...the new ones look much better...the sculpting is so superior...

Could use the 25th BH toso and arms. He has a sweater. Really wish there would a good button-up shirt. I don't mind a couple of guys on the team sporting commando sweaters, but i wouldn't have all the team in them.

The original BH torso is just too skinny for my tastes...even the DH Shippy one is kinda on the too lean side, but it's at least better...I think I might keep my Steeler like MRs here, so him, Scarlett and (maybe) Flash/GH will stand out...plus different gear, short/long sleeves, brown/black...in my head it looks good :)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They look good mang...really have me considering ditching the original O13 legs entirely...the new ones look much better...the sculpting is so superior...

Wait, which ones? You like the 25th Zap ones, or the POC Snake Eyes legs?

The original BH torso is just too skinny for my tastes...even the DH Shippy one is kinda on the too lean side, but it's at least better...I think I might keep my Steeler like MRs here, so him, Scarlett and (maybe) Flash/GH will stand out...plus different gear, short/long sleeves, brown/black...in my head it looks good :)

I dislike that old BH torso now, too. The new SE/Shippy one is a tad skinny, but with web gear on, it bulks it up considerably. Even painting the belt on the bare torso makes it look bulkier.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wait, which ones? You like the 25th Zap ones, or the POC Snake Eyes legs?.

The PoC legs are better I think...the Zap uppers are so smooth and lacking in detail...I was thinking about updating all my 25th O13 with those legs and new harnesses...but obviously I'm considering a totally different direction now...

I would like to see the Zap lowers with the PoC uppers...that might be cool...wonder if any of the green existing O13 lowers would match the green uppers of the Dollar General Shippy...if they did, I think I'd leave the colors alone between the torso and pants....no painting...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Maybe... The figures that came with those legs in some shade of OD green were (I believe) Clutch, Steeler, Zap, and Short-Fuze. At worst, you'd have to paint the upper portion of the leg which isn't the end of the world. Although I'm not sure which knees you'd have to use. I do like those unique boots though, which is why I tried to use them on as many as possible.

I actually have one set left over from the 25th Steeler that I was going to use for Breaker (they're the exact same as on my updated Clutch), then decided to go with new style legs to help differentiate Breaker and Clutch apart since they share the same torso, arms, helmet and head. Even with different gear, they start to look a bit twinnish, although they always looked alike in the Sunbow series, plus I just like that Clutch/Breaker head.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Have you considered using the head from the adventure team guy I sent?...that's what I plan to do to make Clutch and Breaker different...plus I don't think I'm going to use the original 25th harnesses at all...actually, quite possibly, the only original parts I plan to use is heads, weapons/gear and maybe boots...

Though ALL that ^ goes out the window if I can't get a ton of green shippys...I'm just not going to do that much painting on torsos...sounds like a paint chipping mess...no thanks...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I kind of like keeping that dude carded. It's something to go with the carded Dr. Venom. Although that isn't a bad suggestion though for getting a different look.

Jesse also has the cast of Voltar that could be modded down.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I finished up Crankcase finally. I just went ahead and painted his legs because I've decided I like them the best. Cloud apparently takes twice as long as I do to ship! :D

I finally got my first order in from Darkwynter at TheAngelForge.com and I'm impressed with the work. It's as clean or cleaner than the casting that Dave did, and Krexx sculpts will continue to help flesh out my ranks. I just got a small order, since several of the items I wanted were out of stock, but I did get the Crimson Twin heads. I love them.

The worst part about painting the Twins was that I got Tomax (no scar) perfect the first time, but really did an awful job on Xamot. So I stripped the paint off Xamot's face and repainted it a second time, and now I think I like Xamot better than Tomax. I'm happy enough with both though, so I'm not going to redo Tomax for fear of doing a worse job next time. I also had to paint their necks to match, but they were originally pink (not matching the head or arms) straight from Hasbro, so that's something I needed to do regardless of my paint-matching. The only other thing I painted was a few touchups and their cod-piece. I'd never noticed that Hasbro omitted that red paint app altogether.

And I also painted up the boar from TofuJesse. Gnawgahyde gets his boar finally!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yep, I'm certain of it now, Xamot looks better :D...Tomax almost has a homo prissy look...

The boar looks great...that's not the OG sculpt is it?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I was actually going for prissy homo. Their lash lines are a bit heavier, and I gave them slightly pinker lips. Everyone always picks on the Dreadnoks as a bunch of leather homos, but the twins are bi-sexual at the very least. They're more than just metrosexuals ;)

The boar is not the vintage one. Not sure what it's a casting of, but it's in Jesse's store.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The twins almost seemed to be bi for each other...or just vainly gay...like every sexual expireince would be a devils 3-way with them and a chick (fag hag)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
They're definitely gay for each other. They've definitely swung with a few dudes. Even as a little kid, with them prancing around doing acrobatics and shit, I always thought they were a bit "fruity" and I didn't even know what gay was. Cirque du Cobra or something.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Their accents didn't help either...what in the heck was that anyway?

In the cartoon? Hell if I know. Destro was supposed to be Scottish and he sounded like a black pimp. Granted, I still hear the black voice actor's voice when I'm reading the comics instead of a proper Scot accent, but that's just me.

They were supposed to be "Corsican", which I'm not much familiar with. But from mild reading, it sounds like a mix of French and Italian. The voice actors probably just tried to make a snooty douchebag accent that sounded European, more than likely.

(The "Corsican" twins thing is a literary reference to twins who felt each other's pain.)

snakeling

not an actual member
Mar 15, 2011
Those heads are cool, I'd like to see a profile shot of them though (please) To me the thing about the original heads is the noses, they are fucking terrible. You did a good job painting them.