Completely Modular foam board building...(WIP)

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Do all structures made with foam board warp at some point?

I'm in the planning stages for a fairly big building and I was going to use foam board mostly because it was cheap and to cut down on weight. If I tried building it out of insulation foam I'd have to make it even bigger to compensate for the thickness of the walls, which in turn would make it heavier AND it would make storing it a nightmare.

My plan is for a two floor, multi-room building. The footprint for each floor will be as big as a standard sheet of foam board.

Suggestions?

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
Do all structures made with foam board warp at some point?

I'm in the planning stages for a fairly big building and I was going to use foam board mostly because it was cheap and to cut down on weight. If I tried building it out of insulation foam I'd have to make it even bigger to compensate for the thickness of the walls, which in turn would make it heavier AND it would make storing it a nightmare.

My plan is for a two floor, multi-room building. The footprint for each floor will be as big as a standard sheet of foam board.

Suggestions?

I would suggest attaching it to a sturdier surface in order to avoid the chance of warping. Thin panel of basswood perhaps.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
So I might be able to build this big a structure out of foam board and it will be fine?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, I don't think I'd waste my time building a diorama out of poster board...unless it was for a school project.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I was thinking I'd make the base out of the think blue or pink insulation foam, then build the structure out of foam board. I seem to recall seeing a really thick version of the stuff at Hobby Lobby, like 1/4" thick. But even that is too thick for me to use for the walls.