WIP Afghan village

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
I need to take pictures of my joes an Afghan village. I have used my memories of when i was there and some view from "The beast" movie. I am gone make a 12 houses village with some walls.

To make it i've found a place at 45 min from my house. it's a quiet place lost in the mountains far from any tourist way.

To made it really realistic i am using carton boxes (As it deforms with the water because that house never've got straight walls) on witch i put white glue and newspaper. When it's nearly dry i put sand mixted with later color. Again when it's nearly dry i put some local earth on it to have the look alike effect. To glue the earth i am using hair spray like that i can paint it and drybrush it without problems.

For the moment i am working on 2 houses. 1 destroy and an other one. For the second one i still have to put the woods on the windows and out of the walls to hold the roof. When i ve done it tomorrow i can paint it ans weather it befor to put it in the place. I am wainting that it s "in situ" to make the stairs.

For the making of the walls i use white polystyrene foam with plaster on different place. The advantage of the polystyrene foam its easy to etch the bullets or roquets impacts.

You can also see the sive with a figure in front of it.

Attachments

• SDC14793.jpg
    SDC14793.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 54
  • SDC14753.jpg
    SDC14753.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 60
  • SDC14751.jpg
    SDC14751.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 49
  • SDC14752.jpg
    SDC14752.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 43
  • SDC14754.jpg
    SDC14754.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 42
  • SDC14756.jpg
    SDC14756.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Looks good! If I ever get around to enjoying this hobby again, I may try making some.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
Truth.

I need like.. a million dollars and a big backyard.

And lots and lots of time.

Looks great though!!

I hear you on that!

My Grandparents have a huge yard that goes down in to some woods. It's only 20 min. away! Never any time... sad panda.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Al right that's it. Just passed a Home Depot and turning around to get some foam. No new figures or vehicles until I build something.

Great job! Home made is the best.

I was just at hobby bunker trying to find 1/35 scale pieces that could be used as 1/18. I leave every time after looking at the price of these things. That house of yours would be 25 to 30 bucks alone off scale.

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
Hi Rick, it's very easy to make bunkers with some foam, a cutter, sand and some grey latex paint. To do mines in 1/35 or 1/18 i am looking for some foam that can look right with bunker design. With the cutter i am making the hole(s) for MG, gun or radar. You can also very quickly cut of some piece of foam for the bullets or gun impatcs. When it's done i put on the grain paint some sand and pass it on all the bunker. With the sand you've got the perfect effect. Depending of the look you want on it you can make some paint juice with dark grey or black paint. For non desert bunker i am putting some green juice to weathering more. After that, a drey brush with the same grey in with i am adding some white colors. If it can interest somebody i can make a tutorial about it.

Tracker

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
can't wait to see what you do with these what you got so far would make some great photos

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
Here are the pictures of my first barn as part of my Afghan village:

The main farm:

The barn:

The destroyed house (on the site i am gone place some walls arts and burn wood in it):

Now the walls:

Note the bullets impacts:

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
This morning, I have put the barn in place aswell as some walls. I still have to "clean" the area as they are too many rocks and drawing the road.

On one of the acces road, i have placed a bunker:

It don't interfer with the rest of the dio as the full area have 3/4 Ha.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
TC this is going to be DIOMITE!!

That scrub is perfectly scaled for trees and the hill in the background is awesome.

Fact that you will have some Russian armor is going to really set it off.

How are you making the roads? I've found that a flat head shovel is perfect width. Flip it around and pull it like a rake and it will define it nicely with low burms on the sides, then hopefully the dirt is a bit soft to make some rutting from rolling a vehicle on it.

Looks like your having a blast out there!

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
How are you making the roads? I've found that a flat head shovel is perfect width. Flip it around and pull it like a rake and it will define it nicely with low burms on the sides, then hopefully the dirt is a bit soft to make some rutting from rolling a vehicle on it.

Looks like your having a blast out there!

Would it help to wet the ground before doing that Rick.

Your close to Spain TC?

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wetting would help in general, but unless that's his backyard I doubt there's a spicket close

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
I have ad one more house and a destroyed one also some more walls around the barn. Tommorrow i am putting the water point and more houses.

As you can see i have finish to "clean" the area from all the unneed stones and drawing the "road":

Tenerifecrimson

Enlisted
Jul 23, 2011
Tenerife island
Wetting would help in general, but unless that's his backyard I doubt there's a spicket close

That's right, this yard is 1/2 h walk far in the mountains. Somewhere in the middle on nowhere LOL

To make my roads i am using a scrubbing brush. It work well with this earth and after with a hard brush i am making the road border less perfect

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
This is so awesome, an area where you can set up, and leave, your own small town!

Can you imagine the look on the peoples faces who would accidentaly found your 1:18th village? I know you say it's in a secluded area, but it's still funny to imagine.

Do you plan on adding any animals like chickens, goats, pack horses?

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
This is way to cool!

Everything about it works to scale. Hope it doesn't rain anytime soon