1:18 armed pickup truck

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm jealous that you were able to find a 1:18th toyota pickup (unless that's a custom). I've been looking for one of those for years to make a technical out of.

But that one is odd, as it it seems to have an early 2000's front end, a mid-80's cab, and bed from the late 70's, all with low profile tires. That has to be a custom, right? I can't recall a franken-toyota quite like that. Still, it's way better than anything I've ever found at retail.

tflenno

Oct 16, 2020
I'm jealous that you were able to find a 1:18th toyota pickup (unless that's a custom). I've been looking for one of those for years to make a technical out of.

But that one is odd, as it it seems to have an early 2000's front end, a mid-80's cab, and bed from the late 70's, all with low profile tires. That has to be a custom, right? I can't recall a franken-toyota quite like that. Still, it's way better than anything I've ever found at retail.
I was looking for toyota pickup truck for a quite long time and finally I got two! They were RC toys and the cab doors could open. I did some modification so that I could put the 3.75” figures inside the cab.

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com

Same... amazing how there is so little available for one of the most popular vehicles worldwide.

Also, I suppose IF anywhere, a multi-year part bashed together technical would be fitting.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, a pieced together toyota would be more than ok in that setting. Tangos in some of those countries are just cobbling together anything they can find.

But having extensively driven an '80, '86, '91, and '08 toyota 4x4, I know those body styles well. The company didn't adopt the oval logo or 3rd brake light until '92 (my '91 still had the word "TOYOTA" on the front grille). It didn't get the Tacoma moniker until '95. I just grew up driving Toyota 4x4s. I thought giving them a name was stupid.

This cab is clearly from an 80's truck - you can tell by the door indentions and the little honeycomb thing behind the door handle. And the bed has the exterior hooks like the late 70's/early 80's trucks, but the tailgate looks even older than that. I'm not even sure the tailgate is from a toyota (at least not one sold in the states).

But I would absolutely jump on one if I saw it. I agree that it's odd how the Taco gets little love from the toy/model/RC/diecast community despite being one of the most popular trucks worldwide.

I found a 1/24 scale model of an '80 truck, and using old pics for reference, my son and I built it, painted it, and built a custom rack on the back to look just like my dad's old beater construction truck I learned to drive on. We gave it to him for his birthday last year. I think it's now one of his most prized possessions. Hell, just seeing the model in his office makes me smile.