1:18 - Kickstarter Action Figure lines

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
They already made and sent out Pale and Kah Lee. You had to paint them yourselves too. And like KT mentioned they were pretty static. I wouldn't consider them a 4" action figure line myself. They didn't even have them in decent poses.

Last edited:

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Last day for the Skeleton Warriors - Grimskull kickstarter. They still have about 20k to go for successful funding. I don't think they are going to make it.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
That fucker was launched dead in the water, imho. It's a pretty lame presentation with no stretch goals shown, the best pledge levels sold out in one day, and no pic showing poseability. When it fails I hope this Gaspar guy realizes it's because of his lack of effort and not the figure itself.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They (the Gaspars) do a show on YT called Toy Break, and talked about this on the last episode. Shriek would have gotten my money because of nostalgia, but otherwise it was a boutique line for a short-lived and forgettable early '90s property.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
They (the Gaspars) do a show on YT called Toy Break, and talked about this on the last episode. Shriek would have gotten my money because of nostalgia, but otherwise it was a boutique line for a short-lived and forgettable early '90s property.

Imho, most 90s toy properties are forgettable because the toys themselves were forgettable. SkelWar survives because of the cartoon, not the figures, from what I can see. Gaspar is basically assuming the remnant SW fanbase is enough to get the KS over the top, which obviously ain't gonna happen.

But this KS is entirely about the figures so the presentation should've focused on its toy aspects. Gaspar really needs to sell this line as a bitchin' line of cool action figures to get people that have never heard of SW to *need* these things. Baron Dark succeeded because of this factor as many contributors to his KS needed a freaky-ass skeleton monster in their collection. That it's the last day of the KS and there's still no confirmation of Grimmy having ball hips is flabbergastingly incompetent, imho.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't recall the cartoon being hot shit either. 13 episodes being it seems to confirm that the rest of the kids back then felt/feel the same.

If I decide I want Skeleton Warriors I'll make them out of the clearly superior HACKS skeleton.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
That's a beautiful sculpt, and cheap enough to cut up for bashing' to full artic. I do wish he'd given it the neck he shows in the drawings, tho.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
And the Sharkhunter is already funded. Now it's just a matter of seeing what he's got planned for stretch goals.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
From the creator

they are in 4 inch scale but he's slightly taller with Pale at 4 inches and the 4 army builders at 4 inches. They'll be very similar to moder GI Joe and Marvel Legends as far as movement goes

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Oh, no; now I care about them. I'd kill to have some 18th Apes like NECA did for the Dawn/Rise of the Planet of the Apes, but these might could be satisfying until then.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Those are some sassy monkeys. Kah Lee is sporting that Orc general helmet, but aside from him and that tetsubo I don't think there's much for me there.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I'm thinking Kah Lee, the black armor Mandrill, and a trio of black armor chimps at a minimum for me, but I could easily see me getting at least one of all of them. Hell, I'm wondering if they could be good swap-ins for the Red Ghost's SuperApes, too.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
That graph has me feeling like it's gonna fail. Can't say I'll be surprised if it does. I threw the link up as I was excited for it, but thinking over it since I'm soured on wanting all of them just to have them. Unless they tweak some things and answer some questions - which I posted on their FB - I may or may not go in for Capt Evil. He looks the spiffiest, imho. The Knight of Darkness would have been an easy buy, though.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I asked them this stuff on their FB page:
Questions: When can we expect delivery of the figures? I don't see that anywhere on the KS page. Are there plans to do civilian figures homaging the original Adventure People line? I'd think a male&female pair of 'Newscasters' in jumpsuits would be very useful in Joe and MU displays, and provide plenty of repaint/reuse potential. Why isn't there a discount for the All-In premium? Once the basic Capt Action figure is funded the other three are just repaints and a smattering of additional molds, but their prices don't reflect their lower expenses. What am I missing?

And got this in response:
The expected delivery date is November of this year, it's listed under each pledge reward. This is an all new Adventure People line, it's not a modern relaunch of the vintage Fisher Price line. There might be a few characters thrown in from the original line but nothing is currently planned. You get 4 free weapons with the All In reward pledge. These weapons are not included with the single figure reward pledges. The factory requires a minimum amount of figures be produced for each character. Our funding goal reflects these expenses.

When I look back at the HACKS KS, I just can't see these numbers making sense. The initial HACKS KS funding amount was $75K, and we got two entirely different figure molds with a plethora of individual accessories and heads and very different decos for the extra figures, plus included shipping.

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
Bummer about not having any real plan to relaunch fp adventure people. I would've actually been interested in that concept.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
GoNativeToys posted this on their website a bit back

The best for last! We are getting very close to launching a new Kickstarter crowdfunding campaign! It will be live in late January 2016. It's time for the Blanx line to expand! We need your help to make some new and unique things. There will be additions to the Blanx family, and some other surprises as well! Stay tuned here, more info will come as available!

And the Beta showed up for pre-order at BBTS

Beta 3.75" Customizable Buck Action Figure - Blanx Figures

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I probably sound like a grumpy old man, but did they miss Boss Fight's blanks for $13? You know the ones that look professional, proportional, factory made, and not actually 3.75". I don't see the kickstarter getting funded unless they are changing their blanks completely. There isn't a need for more human blanks imo. I see the Guru Planet/Annika Spy Lounge repaints kickstarter all over again. We all know how well that turned out.

Thanks for the updates though. Your work is greatly appreciated even if it's sounds like I hate everything you post, lol. I've just been spoiled by MTF and Hacks and that bar is set pretty high. There has to be good news to be found out there somewhere.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I probably sound like a grumpy old man, but did they miss Boss Fight's blanks for $13? You know the ones that look professional, proportional, factory made, and not actually 3.75". I don't see the kickstarter getting funded unless they are changing their blanks completely. There isn't a need for more human blanks imo. I see the Guru Planet/Annika Spy Lounge repaints kickstarter all over again. We all know how well that turned out.

Thanks for the updates though. Your work is greatly appreciated even if it's sounds like I hate everything you post, lol. I've just been spoiled by MTF and Hacks and that bar is set pretty high. There has to be good news to be found out there somewhere.

Well to be fair these were designed way before the VHACKS Blanks came out. I did get one of the Alphas and wasn't very impressed. They are very tiny figures and they have an O-ring for some godforsaken reason. If they did actually try to do a Kickstarter I could almost guarantee their failure would be as bad as that terrible Guru Planet one... Even with all the stuff I buy I couldn't get one of those even for the novelty of it...

As for hating everything I post, I don't really mind. I don't really like some of it either but in case someone was interested at least they have the info now. This one Blanx one definitely falls into that category. I also find the whole Kickstarter phenomenon kind of interesting.

Instead of doing their blanx they should have taken some of their better figure kits and articulated them up a bit. I would probably get some of those.

Discussion of those can be found in this thread. I guess we will see what their whole plan is if they actually start a Kickstarter.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Yeah, the Blanx were never very impressive, and now that the HACKS are out there setting the standard before anyone even owns any; their KS is just going to be embarrasing.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
I knew I wouldn't be impressed, lol. The scale and proportions are all over the place (those hands!!!). Kickstarters only work if your idea that you want to get made is something that everybody else will want too. Who is really going to want these? Not collectors, these are not finished figures. Not customizers, there's much better fodder for your money available. The figures won't blend in with any action figure line on the market. What gets me is that the guy has some actual sculpting skill (check his portfolio) but these designs are amateurish at best. You've got to adapt and change with the times or get left behind.

It may get funded but that only gets a slightly updated alpha figure that did some weight cutting. The heads might be cool. But then again, based on the blanx scale, how compatible with other lines do you really expect them to be?

So what's the next action figure kickstarter? I know IAmElemental is gearing up for series 2. Plus Eagle Force is returning. Oh and the Kingdom too. Guaranteed to bring pleasure to that one guy who enjoys ape rape dios.

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
I've been waiting for the Eagle Force Kickstarter for a while. I only hope that it doesn't disappoint.

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
I think IamElemental will be doing a straight pre-order for series 2.

Captain Action doesn't look like they will fund this time around but that sculpt may be seen again in the Eagle Force campaign.

Blanx might fund but the figures aren't that good and for the price i'd rather have a pink VHACK

There is another line being promoted called Hell Screamerz that is like a sci-fi GI Joe. They have some proptoypes they have been showing on their FB page and they will debut the prototypes at a Far Side Subscription Service convention in New York soonish (I don't recall the dates at the moment) I think those figures look pretty great. Here are some prototype images I have

I've been pretty busy a work lately so I haven't had much time to work on the Archive but I'll be updating it soon with the designs from the Kingdom line and Hell Scremerz.

I also started a static page that is similar to the first post in this thread.

1:18 Kickstarter Projects | 1:18 Action Figure Archives

Last edited:

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Huh, I actually like quite a bit of what I see on that Blanx KS, but the way he's got the Unlocks irdered means it's a non-issue for me and likely everyone else. Simply nobody really cares about the dudes because of all the MU Cmdr Rogers/Jim Lee Cyke/Adam Warlock bucks we've likely got. If he'd put the big bruiser and the dwarf up front as well as the head sets this might succeed, but front-loading with the dude is just putting a wall up for everything else good, imho.

Also, I am dead-fucking-sick and tired of the stupid 'hands bent inwards' look. It looks good for a statue frozen in a single moment, but it's wholly worthless for an action figure meant to represent a character through-out his entire day. STOP THAT STUPID SHIT.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
I like it, although I hope the colors come out a bit darker. For all of Zica's protestations about lacking money for changes, I can't imagine how a whole new head, paintscheme, and chest tampo is cheaper than simply changing the gray CA's skin to blue.

AdrienVeidt

Enlisted
Apr 11, 2015
Sweet!

If the funding goal reaches $30,000 our next army builder figure will be unlocked, the Strike Force Trooper! We'll be offering it as a single figure for $20.00 (plus S&H), and in an army builder set of 7 figures for $100.00 (plus S&H). Assuming the stretch goal is met, the figure will be available for purchase via the Backerkit surveys that will be sent out after the Kickstarter ends.