1/18 scale custom rocket pack

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Hey guys. Posted this over on the Hisstank a few weeks back.
Took about three hours to make in total, based on this image here. I'll post the entire progression here for anyone who missed it on the tank.
Enjoy!

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
very impressive

Thanks. I was inspired by the image i linked to in the first post. I can picture teams of guys coing down with those packs!
I knew it was a simple enough design so i made one.
I have sent a couple to a friend of mine in Portugal, and he is making one into a little UCAV design.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Thanks a lot for your comments guys!
I appreciate you taking the time to post.

The jetpack looks amazing and I really really like the helmet.

The head and helmet are from a Ma.K figure pilot.
It's an "Indirect Vision" helmet. The helmet is solid, but contains a 3d projection of the exterior of the suit he wears.
I suppose it's like that helmet the F-35 pilots wear.
Here are some better pics(I popped the head on a ROC figure obviously):

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Fantastic work here.

Thanks.
My original idea(Made in about an hour out of styrene), was a jet pack for 1/18 figures that would look like the wings on the Seeker Transformers from the 80s cartoon.
It was only when someone posted a link to the image of the one man jet pack that i put the other one on the shelf and made the other one.
Here's the original idea i had:

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
those are great! Since you cast the one - are you gonna sell copies of it? :D

I love the WIP pics - great insight as to what it takes to create something like this!

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
those are great! Since you cast the one - are you gonna sell copies of it? :D

Of course. Anyone that wants one can have one. Or as many as they need. That's what the mould was made for.

I love the WIP pics - great insight as to what it takes to create something like this!

Thanks. I find that if you struggle to envision what is involved in doing something like this, a simple set of WIP images always elightens.
I try and take pics of every stage of a build for that very reason. I have a WIP of a set of door guns i made for a guy in the US a couple of weeks back, and i did a really detailed series of pics for him. I will PM them to you.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Awesome on being able to get copies...both my boys love this site and saw this and asked if I could make them one too. I told them someday maybe...

Thanks for the WIP pics...those are fantastic...I really want to try my hand at this scratch build stuff...I will have to find something small and build it for one of my WIP vehicles.

Casting is something further down the line. :D

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
Awesome on being able to get copies...both my boys love this site and saw this and asked if I could make them one too. I told them someday maybe...

No problem. If you want one, or more than one, just shoot me a PM. I am more interested in trading for items i can't get here than just doing it for cash anyway.

Thanks for the WIP pics...those are fantastic...I really want to try my hand at this scratch build stuff...I will have to find something small and build it for one of my WIP vehicles.

The guns i made were for a custom a guy is making over on the Hisstank. He needed some doorguns, saw the ones i made for my kestrel and asked if i'd make a set for him. It's quite a good recipe if anyone wants to make their own. It's only evergreen styrene stock just to make the guns look busy.
The little trick i use is that when you get above 6mm wide, Evergreen tends to make square tubing, round tubing and rectangular tubing, but nothing that is solid. So i tend to block off one end and fill it with resin. That way i have Styrene on the outside, and it's solid resin inside. The gun ammo units were made like that, along with the round parts on the back end. Just styrene tubing filled with resin.

Casting is something further down the line. :D

It's likely not as hard as you think. As long as you can solve problems on the fly, you can do casting.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
holy crap dude!...thats killer!...very accurate looking...

so you can just pop one of the mold any time you need?...very impressive...

side question, where'd you get the hazard tape you put on the back of it?...is it dry rub or a sticker?

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
holy crap dude!...thats killer!...very accurate looking...

Thanks. I only had that one picture to use as reference. I didn't add the moving control surfaces on the wingtips, but they can be scribed off and articulated. A friend of mine has turned one into a nice looking little UCAV drone.
so you can just pop one of the mold any time you need?...very impressive...

For sure. The mould is sitting at work. I can make them at a rate of about one every twenty minutes if need be(It's how long the resin takes to harden).

side question, where'd you get the hazard tape you put on the back of it?...is it dry rub or a sticker?

I made it myself. I take a strip of refelctive yellow 3M adhesive backed Vinyl, and add black insulating tape cut to 1mm widths at a 30 degree angle. Then i chop it into whatever widths i need. It's a simple trick.
If you have a local vinyl signmakers shop near you, pop your head in the door and ask for off cuts of reflective yellow vinyl. Red, Black, and white are good too. It's also a cheap trick to use to make rasied panelling on models. Cut out the shape, remove the backing and apply the tape. Works every time.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
i think i like the stands even more than the jet pack :D

really great real world looking weathering on them

Same. No use for the pack but the stand would get forced into some use.

Lol. I have been hearing that from a lot of folks.
The stands will be in rubber too before long. The Comanche will be taking up my free time for the next few weeks till it's done.
Then i will be able to focus on other projects again.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It's not due to any flaw with the pack, my 1:18 universe just doesn't swing that way.

Hence the two totally useless J.U.M.P. packs I have.

bar

Enlisted
Jun 10, 2011
Glenrothes, Scotland
It's not due to any flaw with the pack, my 1:18 universe just doesn't swing that way.

Hence the two totally useless J.U.M.P. packs I have.

It's cool. I don't take any offense in negative comments(As in, people wo don't want one).
Some products speck to you, and some don't. It's not a big deal, lol.