1/18th Scale Mi-24 Hind Will Become A Reality !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Sweet baby Jesus swaddled in golden fleece, that is looking good!

Thanks Fighter !!

I just heard from Jay and he finally finished plotting the landing gear.

So in a week or so I will have them in hand.

Then the gear will be shipped to my metal caster to make metal copies .

This beast will be heavy so I need something to hold her up without fail.

jlw515

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2014
Not to take away from your project which is amazing! That cockpit is second to none. I noticed that you've mentioned using the 1/35 Trumpeter model as a base. Do you (or anyone else) have pics of the 1/35 Trumpeter compared to 4" action figures? I know the scale will be off 1/35 compared to app. 1/18, but I'm curious as to how it looks.

From what I understand 1/35 is more like 2" figures and 1/18 is app. 4" but I'm thinking that Trumpeter model has got to be closer to scale than that Elite Force Hind toy helicopter.

Are you using the Trumpeter model as source material to enlarge to a closer 1/18th scale? Thanks.

Jason

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Not to take away from your project which is amazing! That cockpit is second to none. I noticed that you've mentioned using the 1/35 Trumpeter model as a base. Do you (or anyone else) have pics of the 1/35 Trumpeter compared to 4" action figures? I know the scale will be off 1/35 compared to app. 1/18, but I'm curious as to how it looks.

From what I understand 1/35 is more like 2" figures and 1/18 is app. 4" but I'm thinking that Trumpeter model has got to be closer to scale than that Elite Force Hind toy helicopter.

Are you using the Trumpeter model as source material to enlarge to a closer 1/18th scale? Thanks.

Jason

Well the Trumpeter 1/35 kit is true to its scale. In order to scale up to 1/18th scale you need to multiply everything by 1.944 in order to get piece sizes .

And that is what we have done .

Sometimes we are able to cheat . If we have a piece that is flat and has multiple shaped outline and cut outs we can take that piece down to Kinkos and put it on the glass dial in 194 % close the top and it will print the enlarged size . Then we can take that and use it as a template to cut the plastic .

Otherwise we take each part for what it is worth measure it on all axesses and start cutting plastic to those sizes .

Now my buddy Jay has done just that and rather than cut plastic he plots that into his computer and gets a 3-D layout and sends that to Shapeways so they can 3-d print the parts.

My Hind has about 1/3 3-D printed parts and the other 2/3rds will be / is scratch built.

How I created the fuselage I took a Trumpeter fuselage sliced it like a salami at certain critical spots . Then I took those slices traced them took those to Kinkos and enlarged them to 1/18th scale . Then I took those templates traced them on plastic and formed my fuselage .

Of course I did ruin a $100 kit by doing this but as the saying goes you need to crack some eggs to make an omelette .

jlw515

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2014
So, once you have the Hind completed do you plan on making molds and resin casts of the parts? The cockpit is just incredible! And the canopy is ingenious. Not sure I could commit price wise to the kit. I'm more interested in a larger scale Hind than the Bbi toy. If someone made a larger toy or if I could customize the Trumpeter model to hold two 4" action figures in the cockpit I would be satisfied.

Jason

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
So, once you have the Hind completed do you plan on making molds and resin casts of the parts? The cockpit is just incredible! And the canopy is ingenious. Not sure I could commit price wise to the kit. I'm more interested in a larger scale Hind than the Bbi toy. If someone made a larger toy or if I could customize the Trumpeter model to hold two 4" action figures in the cockpit I would be satisfied.

Jason

You won't be able to fit 2 4" figures in the 1/35 scale Trumpeter model. It's about half the size of Pickel's Hind. You can see how the figures fit in his a couple pages back. And I highly doubt any company will ever release a Hind larger than the BBI version. That's why Pickel is producing his own 1:18 scale Hind to be molded and cast. Based on current prices for 1:18 scale aircraft, I'd say $300 is a steal for a Hind kit.

jlw515

Enlisted
Mar 6, 2014
You won't be able to fit 2 4" figures in the 1/35 scale Trumpeter model. It's about half the size of Pickel's Hind. You can see how the figures fit in his a couple pages back. And I highly doubt any company will ever release a Hind larger than the BBI version. That's why Pickel is producing his own 1:18 scale Hind to be molded and cast. Based on current prices for 1:18 scale aircraft, I'd say $300 is a steal for a Hind kit.

Yeah, I've seen the post with his costs so far, and $300 compared to over $1000 thus far is a good price for a 1/18 kit.

Jason

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Well I got the landing gear in and it is about 20 pieces !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need to sort it out to see what I want made out of metal vs resin.

I will try and post some pics later on today .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Are these the metal gear pieces?

The gear I got from Shapeways is the frosted detailed . It is some kind of clear plastic that is not that all strong. I snapped on of the main rotor hub arms while working with it .

I will send ( when I sorted it out ) the Shapeway landing gears to my metal caster.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Pickle, out of curiosity, is it still possible to get in on the Hind?

Also, when are you going to make the mother of all kits: A 1:18 B24 Liberator!!

Getting one of those is my dream.

Yes of course on he Hind .

I am accepting pre production payment of $300 ( plus shipping )

I am not sure of the B-24 maybe the cockpit nose section .

Rather than do the whole ship I could do the nose section. IF THERE IS INTEREST .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I still have not had the time to look at the landing gear but I have been working on some other stuff.

I have SEVERAL KITS TO POUR so I decided to tackle the gun pods.

Jay made them exactly like the Trumpeter's gun pods but the problem is that you can see through the tube holes in front .

So I have placed brass tubes in the holes thicked the inside and I am in the process of making molds of what I have done .

That way I can cast a new nose cone and take those casts and remold the cones so that you can not see through them.

A lot of work that will hopefully pay off during production .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
It worked !!

But I need to put all of the tubes into the molds time and again until I get 4 sets . Then I will make a gang mold of the 4 sets .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks for the support guys !!

YT
PVANROY
SALTYMARINE
LEE PATERSON-----------First full build !!!!
BLACK DRAGON ONE
COREY-D
TOM EDWARDS X 2 !!
KERRY MOZINGO
AZSLOGAN
ROBBIE PIERCE
MORGUHN
JORGE BAHAMONDE X 2 !!

These guys have kept the project afloat !!!!!!!!!!!

For the past couple of days I have been working on one of the main rotor blades . I should have it wrapped up this week ready to move onto other sections of the Hind !!

For those who may want to know the Huey's main rotor blade is more than 2 inches shorter than the BlackHawks blade and the Hind is about 1 1/4 inch LONGER than the Blackhawk's blade . As well as about 1/4 wider .

The Huey and Blackhawk blades are smooth ( not sure on the originals ) but the Hind will have segmented lines along with de-icing veins going down the full length of the blades.

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
Holly crap those are awesome !! And yes they are big, that's why I switched to 1/18, because 1/6 vehicles are BIG, and few, a 1/6 Hind or Huey would be impossible to build, buy, display pay for, I'm selling / trading most of my 1/6 stuff, just traded my Bradly fighting vehicle for 5 1/18 vehicles, I was able to put all five where the Bradley once sat, in the boxes, I still have 2 1/6 M5 light tanks, a GI Joe HUMMER, M8 Greyhound, 151 MUTT and a Jeep, if anyone's interested, they take up way to much space.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Man I am gonna be so jealous when this thing is finished.

You can always get one for yourself !!!

I am working on the troop compartment now of the Hind and according to my measurements the total height to scale is about 4.31 feet that is about 51 inches .

Jeez that is tiny .

The Pave hawk scales out to about 5 feet in height about a foot taller.

There is room to make the rear cabin taller , I could drop the floor .

Should I do this or keep it scale ?

The troop bench looks way to short and the figure I have ( with boots popped off ) looks cozy sitting down missing half his leg.

So make it scale or so I can get a figure up in there.

I would have to drop the floor about 1/2 of an inch .

Inpute welcomed !!!!!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The reality is that it's either scale fidelity or figure compatibility. I'd go with compatibility.

Last edited:

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Here is the scale height of the bench seat . It has been said that there are things wrong with Trumpeters Hind kit . The crew cabin is one of them.

The short bench seat .

I raised the height of the bench seat to the same height as the Pavehawk seat .

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
In this pic you can actually see how small this door is .

What I cam do is make the clam shell door the correct size and make another door ( one piece )next to it so that you can have the full cabin accessible.

The end of the cabin is just to the left of the 2 windows.

I will have to make the second door a little shorter to bypass the winglet root .

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Even if that short bench is true to scale, it just looks too low and weird. The incorrect one looks much more natural.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The bench on the Huey is so low as to be virtually useless. Drop the floor!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
quote="pvanroy"]I'm all in favor of keeping everything as close to scale as possible - I like to have an accurate scale model. The troop compartment is really cramped - just have a look at the photograph here: Photos Rodina Mat Kiev . However, I understand other people want to use the model with figures... So, would it maybe be possible to make the floor and ceiling attachments in such a way that it's both possible to mount them in scale position, or a bit lower resp. higher for those who want to fit figures inside? I do understand that this may complicate things too much, though... In any case, the work you're doing looks fabulous, an I'm really happy there's going to be a 1/18th scale Mi-24![/quote]

Thanks brother for posting that link.

As you guys can see it is tight up in there .

The way I see I will be making the cabin larger to accept figures . But you can always drop the ceiling and raise the floor to get it back to scale .

You can also seal the extra door that I plan to engineer so there will be access to the rear jump seat.

Hinds for sale

Cheap !!!!

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
Even with the roof/floor mods it will Be tight in there, and will
probly look scale anyway, I can't imagine someone looking at
the funnished model and saying, "ya know, I think the crew compartment
Is not to scale" so I'm not worried I'll be disappointed with one tiny insignificant
scale discrepancy, but that's me.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
While things are being worked on I was going to take the decal sheet down to my local printer to see if stencils can be made as an option other than decals .

The decals that were made for my Horten were fantastic but a heavy price was paid for them.

I was thinking of having the stencils made for the Russian stars , outstanding maintenance award ( the yellow and black flash ) along with some crylic ( ? ) numbers .

For you guys in the know when and were did they start and stopped wearing the belly Russian stars ?