1/18th Scale Mi-24 Hind Will Become A Reality !!!

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
:trollface:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I sure as hell am gonna wait for some more progress.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Update price tag on this project .

3 x 1/35 Trumpeter kits ----------------------------$280
3-D printing cockpit ----------------------------------$240
3-D printing canopies ---------------------------------$100
3-d printed sensor, rocket pod intake and filter-----$55
3-d printing large piece in progress ------------------$ 450
R and D books -----------------------------------------$100
Paint ----------------------------------------------------$100
3-D Nose sensors and armament----------------------$85
3- D canopy vacume plug------------------------------$126

Total--------------------------------------------------$1,536

I will do my best to take pics of the latest pieces but as of yet I can hardly hold the camera .

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
I sent in mine, this is a once in a lifetime deal, think how Bitchen it will be to be the only grown man in your town to have this massive warmachine hanging from the ceiling of your office, garage, toy room etc. how many will be made ? How much is it worth if there's only a few of them, I just saw the Solder Force Osprey sell on EBay for $ 355.00. And it's a cheep toy, rare yes, so think about a Mi-24 with the details and craftsmanship yor getting for the same price, filled with your favorite Octoberguard figures !! I can't pass on this one, just one more side job, support our local toy Genious if you can !!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Thanks for the support

YT
SALTYMARINE
PVANROY
LEE PATERSON
BLACK DRAGON ONE
TOM EDWARDS X 2 !!

these guys have kept the project afloat !!!!!!!!!!!

I have mentioned this to some of the supporters but I will tell all that what I have made so far and not posted are the mushrooms filters for the 2 large intakes , their intake rings and the pointy style rocket pods. I was getting close to getting close on mine but it took less time to plot and print perfect ones via 3-d printer so I had Jay to make it for me.

we are waiting to get the next LARGE piece to be printed . it is the full turtle deck from the intakes back to the round sensor. Which has been made already as well.

saltymarine

Enlisted
Aug 22, 2011
Your welcome and I can't Wait to see this thing finished, I remember seeing these on tv back during the Russian afghan war during the Reagan years, I remember how Awesome they looked shooting rockets into the mountains and towns, they are as iconic as the Huey Hog in Vietnam was during that war witch I allso watched on TV, Dog Damn I'm Old LOL !!!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I was able to hold the camera to take pics but clicking the shutter button was not easy to do but I did it here are pics of the recent 3-d print outs .

I got the tires in and it looks like the main tires will work just fine with the r/c wheels . The front nose will may not work. The profile is square and I can not find any 1 inch tires with tread. I will keep looking.

The hubcaps are not scale like this will be an easy fix.

If I can not find any suitable 1 inch wheels for the nose gear I may have to make them out of resin.

Any thoughts on this ?

Main wheels I have 2 styles to choose from

1 inch nose wheel There will be 2 of them in tandem ( side by side )

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
Hey Guys,

I finally got the turtle deck in and it looks great. Jay did an excellent job of copying it !!!

But I am a little unhappy with the finish that Shapeways did on it .

For the money I paid I was expecting it to be a lot smoother .

I tried to sand on it ( with the break I was not really able to apply any pressure ) but after primer paint the stryations were very heavy .

So I think that it may just be easier for me to make the rest of the body from scratch when my hand is ready .

I will have Jay make the rotor hubs and maybe the landing gear . Maybe .

I really will have to do a lot of sanding to make the turtle deck right . But Jay got everything right and by making the piece he probably saved me about 3-4 days worth of work despite the additional sanding I will have to do.

Pics to fallow.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
The main rotor hub along with the rear hub and rear rotor blade has been plotted and sent to Shapeways.

Hopefully I will have them next week !!

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I finally have started to work on the Hind. So far 6 1/2 days worth of work.

It wants to act like a tail dragger but there are plenty of places to add weight if needed.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gonna be a beast.

EDIT: And am I the only one that thinks they short-changed the 60 on some tail boom length?

Last edited:

G.I. Zmo

Enlisted
Aug 5, 2011
And am I the only one that thinks they short-changed the 60 on some tail boom length?
I also wondered about it, when i got my 60 and i learned that the main rotor blades can reach the tail rotor. I was :wtf:
"As real as it gets" my ass... :D
So i think, there's some cheating in the proportions.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, something is fucky with the proportions, because after crunching the numbers the length is more or less correct.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
To the rear of the cargo door looks a little long that could have been added to the tail to make it look right . ( Blackhawk )

I scaled my Hind off of the 1/35 scale Trumpeter kit .

I sliced and diced the fuselage on one of the kits and used the slices as templates for the ribs .

I cut the ribs and planked it with styrene . THERE WAS LOTS AND LOTS OF SANDING.

I also enlarged scale drawings and used those as well.

So I should be close on my scale give or take 2 or 3 mm.

The 2 toughest parts of the rough in build was getting the curvature right under the intakes fading to the front of the fuselage and the rear of the tail. The verticle stabilizer is asymmetrical and it was not easy to work it out but I think that I got it.