2014 East Coast Custom Con

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
I talked it over with Obi and we're going to have a crash course in molding and casting this year. Anybody who is present on Friday morning will be able to add a head, helmet, or a small accessory to the mold. Then once the mold is cured (24 hrs.) we'll use it to cast the items on Saturday afternoon and have some cast parts Saturday night.

You're bringing all your casting equipment? Better you than me.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
You're bringing all your casting equipment? Better you than me.

I might as well do something useful this year. But I'm not going to bring everything, just what I need for a demo. I'll probably turn off everyone from ever wanting to get into casting, lol.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I talked it over with Obi and we're going to have a crash course in molding and casting this year. Anybody who is present on Friday morning will be able to add a head, helmet, or a small accessory to the mold. Then once the mold is cured (24 hrs.) we'll use it to cast the items on Saturday afternoon and have some cast parts Saturday night.

Any parts or types of parts you interested in for the long run. Pm me if hunting anything in particular. That way two birds. I read somewhere you were planning on doing neck handkerchiefs. I have Sam Elliot's from the golden compass. His head too. I also have the one Mara jades desert head piece and Luke's desert headpiece and Vader apprentice. All I think would be great for middle east customs.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Any parts or types of parts you interested in for the long run. Pm me if hunting anything in particular. That way two birds. I read somewhere you were planning on doing neck handkerchiefs. I have Sam Elliot's from the golden compass. His head too. I also have the one Mara jades desert head piece and Luke's desert headpiece and Vader apprentice. All I think would be great for middle east customs.

I just molded 25th Falcon, 25th Tunnel rat, and Young Indy neckerchiefs. However, I won't be able to cast them until I get back on Monday. The idea for the custom con is to get a cast copy of something you want (as long as it fits in my 34 oz container) or to see how to mold a certain item (some parts are quite tricky). We'll fill the mold with as many items as we possibly can so maybe choose a few items to bring in case one doesn't fit or we have room to spare. Sure, it's a bonus if it's a part that I don't have, but don't let that be a deciding factor in choosing a part you want or need.

I'm thinking that we'll need to start the mold before noon (11 am?) on Friday so we can de-mold everything at noon the next day. We should be pouring resin no later than 3 pm so after 7 pm we can remove the parts. I'll be skipping the baking part (4-6 hours) so people can get their cast parts on Saturday. We can also make a group decision on what color we use with the resin too.

Disclaimer: I'm not a casting master. Others may have different and/or more effective methods of casting, but I'm more than happy to share what has worked for me.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I just molded 25th Falcon, 25th Tunnel rat, and Young Indy neckerchiefs. However, I won't be able to cast them until I get back on Monday. The idea for the custom con is to get a cast copy of something you want (as long as it fits in my 34 oz container) or to see how to mold a certain item (some parts are quite tricky). We'll fill the mold with as many items as we possibly can so maybe choose a few items to bring in case one doesn't fit or we have room to spare. Sure, it's a bonus if it's a part that I don't have, but don't let that be a deciding factor in choosing a part you want or need.

I'm thinking that we'll need to start the mold before noon (11 am?) on Friday so we can de-mold everything at noon the next day. We should be pouring resin no later than 3 pm so after 7 pm we can remove the parts. I'll be skipping the baking part (4-6 hours) so people can get their cast parts on Saturday. We can also make a group decision on what color we use with the resin too.
cool bro

Disclaimer: I'm not a casting master. Others may have different and/or more effective methods of casting, but I'm more than happy to share what has worked for me.

I'm going to harass you the whole time and act like I know how to do it. :trollface:

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I might as well do something useful this year. But I'm not going to bring everything, just what I need for a demo. I'll probably turn off everyone from ever wanting to get into casting, lol.

That's called job security and maintaining your market share.

Gungho-joe

Enlisted
Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
My boys and I couldnt make it last year but we arent going to miss this year!!! Already got the vacation day slip from their school and dropped it off. Its going to be a great Father/Sons trip. Not going to lie the large scale dio has my mouth drooling!!! Cant wait!!! Tommy and Robert have their costumes planned out.

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Awesome! Can't wait to see it all.

Idea - I'll have to show up at some point as the "OpFor" (in costume), so they can take me down and save the day.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
The plan is a giant T. Think of the T as the road. It will be enclosed by buildings except at street ends. The rears of the buildings will create 2 dead end roads and an open road. So we will have an interior T intersection with outside streets. All with building faces. We should get plenty of setup options.

Hope that makes sense.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
UPDATE:

There will be no exclusive SOAR figure. I've already exhausted all my funds, patience, and time trying to get it to work out. There is no room for error with casting moving parts with resin. Every joint that I've done for this figure has failed at one point or another. I'm sorry but I'm done working on this project.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Ah, Damn it! That thing needs to be shown off!

I'm just now reading this since I happen to be at the east coast this time of year.

The CH-46 arrived badly damaged from its time in transit. I promised to fix it shortly after I got it, but between lengthy work trips and digging down on my OH-6, it ended up sitting on a shelf waiting for repairs.

It'll happen someday, but not soon. I'm in Virginia for three months taking classes for work. Since I drove, I brought a ton of portable 1:18 stuff to work on during free weekends, but I didn't bring vehicles because they'd take too much of a beating in the car ride back.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I wish I could make the shindig, seeing as this is probably the only time I could ever make it. But I'll be in Dallas to see my son. Enjoy yourselves gents!

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
UPDATE:

There will be no exclusive SOAR figure. I've already exhausted all my funds, patience, and time trying to get it to work out. There is no room for error with casting moving parts with resin. Every joint that I've done for this figure has failed at one point or another. I'm sorry but I'm done working on this project.

That is kind of a bummer but at some point the return on investment just isn't worth it anymore. On a side note I twisted the head off one of those neck joints....tried to glue it back so we'll see.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
UPDATE:

Would it be possible to just do a run of heads and webbing/torsos? IMO opinion those are the vital components, and while the onus to find parts suitable for the rest would be on the end user, it shouldn't be out of the wheelhouse of anyone buying a kit figure in the first place.

Just some musings on my part. I know the frustration of projects that just will not pan out.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Would it be possible to just do a run of heads and webbing/torsos? IMO opinion those are the vital components, and while the onus to find parts suitable for the rest would be on the end user, it shouldn't be out of the wheelhouse of anyone buying a kit figure in the first place.

Daremo has the head sculpt for sale in his BST thread.

This news upsets me as I passed on the head with Dar figuring I'd get it in the kit.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I well aware of that. I'd just prefer it packaged mit dat torso.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
And this is why a Kickstarter is needed...

All may not be completely lost however, so keep your fingers crossed.

I agree.. talk about it at the con and then set it up after the con, that way people can fund it for next year and people like D aren't using their money up front to make it.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I agree.. talk about it at the con and then set it up after the con, that way people can fund it for next year and people like D aren't using their money up front to make it.

Ya I'm all for this,
Set up a price ahead of time. (+ some for profit S&H, & build surprises)
Give people the option to order it per figure from X date to X date (include everything that it comes with or doesn't)
Only make the # of figures ordered.

There are a lot of great projects like this through out the community, it would be nice to see more of them come to flourishion.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
Daremo has the head sculpt for sale in his BST thread.

This news upsets me as I passed on the head with Dar figuring I'd get it in the kit.

It's not the same head. Obi modded the one he originally did (in my BST) and added the working NVG. It's greatly improved now.