Aviatonut Interview with Tony at Merit on the Future of 1:18

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Below is an interview that was conducted between Aviatornut and Tony current owner at Merit International LLC. regarding the future of 1:18 aircraft collecting.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/Aviatornutcom

Well fellow collectors, I am excited to tell you about my interview with the owner of Merit. Tony has been the man behind such releases as the bbi Shark mouth Hellcat, the F-14 and now the infamous SBD Dauntless. That is quite the legacy if you ask me and I am sure I missed others.
Aviatornut….What do you think the future of 1/18 scale looks like?
(Tony) I am little concerned when you look at the total volume of sales and now the production cost to make an aircraft in this scale. I am not sure the customer will continue to buy one of each paint scheme or even a new airplane. Somehow we need to get to the new collector.
Aviatornut….How do you reach new collectors?
(Tony) Not sure, also not if we can reach that many with the cost of these planes.

Aviatornut….What do you see coming out in the 1/18 scale market?
(Tony) I let you be the first to announce that we will have a Huey out soon. (Picture will be posted soon)
Also there will be another plane released, hopefully before Chinese New Year.
Aviatornut….Any hints to what it may be?
(Tony) Something WWII
Aviatornut….Will it be the wildcat?
(Tony) No
Aviatornut….Anything you want to say to the 1/18 collector?
(Tony) We need your support and we need people to buy the product to keep them produced. We all work like a wheel. That is all of us a part of one wheel. You have the customer and then the retailer and the distributer and finally the manufacturer and we all work together to keep this rolling out new items. People need to recognize that we cannot produce items at the old prices and with fewer people purchasing them it makes it even harder to hold a fair price. Look at what gas cost just four years ago ($1.75) and what it cost today ($4.00) and these items are made of petroleum. Please understand.
Aviatornut…. Any final info or inside scoop you can share? Oh how about the F-14 is it done or will we see another release? Also I heard that the mold is lost.
(Tony) No, we know where the mold is for the F-14 and we plan on another paint scheme. Most likely the Sundowner Squadron and not sure gloss or mutes scheme. The Black Knight is our nicest F-14 and sales are slow on it and we are a little hesitant to do another release soon.
Aviatornut…. Keep up the good work and thank you for all you do to keep the collector happy. I think it has morphed into a purely collector market only and no longer a toy item for kids and you have done a great job making product to the new higher standards.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Funny..."we want to get to a new collector" then just sentences later "Something WWII"...yeah, way to reel them in :rolleyes:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It would take an F-35 for me to climb into the $200 range.

Yup, something modern is all i'll fork over that kinda dough for...WWII sh!t and repaints that used to cost under $50 can GTFO!

Yeah, costs have gone up, but a plane or helo that cost $40 in 2007 can't possibly have productions costs now that genuinely justify $170-$200

F*@#.

Off.

Bbi.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
His reasoning behind prices re: gasoline prices is bullshit, btw. Gas comes from petroleum, yes, but the price increase of one does not equate to the other.

If you look at the averages of crude oil prices between '07 and now, the price difference is actually fairly small.

NYMEX history has crude ending the 2007 year at $95.98
As of August 24th NYMEX has crude at $96.15

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011
His reasoning behind prices re: gasoline prices is bullshit, btw. Gas comes from petroleum, yes, but the price increase of one does not equate to the other.

If you look at the averages of crude oil prices between '07 and now, the price difference is actually fairly small.

NYMEX history has crude ending the 2007 year at $95.98
As of August 24th NYMEX has crude at $96.15

I have to agree. Gas prices were nowhere near $1.75 four years ago in the US. Try closer to $3.75 average in August 2008.

I call shenanigans.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
There's more than petrochemical prices involved. A lot of it is labor costs in China.

Anyhoo, they want support, but repaints with slight tweaks for premium prices isn't gonna cut the mustard. If I'm paying new model cost I want a new model. Don't ask me to smile and pay 200 bucks for a half-assed MH-60, or 200 bucks for an airframe I have zero interest in (Tomcat).

Will I support another Huey? Not unless it has one hell of a armaments package, or is a D/H or N model. Nothing short of a Do 335 is gonna get me back into WWII. It's saturated ground for an industry unable to take risks.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If they REALLY want money, and not just mine, but EVERYONES, they need to make the plane every collector has been clamouring for for years...I don't even need to say it...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nah, it would have to come with an installment plan and a Big Boa figure.

Maybe a case of Cheetos, too.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
With an aniquated dorsal gunner positon. And damage panels. And some turd dressed in red with some weird helmet.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
As long as that Huey is in Tiger Force colors I need to know where the pre orders are at!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Wild Weasel is begging for figure that actually looks like a pilot.

or

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Assuming it's the 21st UH-1C mold rehashed they could do Marine Corp Es or Air Force Fs, or even an AF P (which has that green/brown/grey camo that looks nice).

Anyhoo, I'm still not holding my breath for even a different deco.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I might shell out that kind of money for a stealth blackhawk.

Anyways, oil prices are deceptive because oil prices in the US doesn't dictate cost when manufacturing petroleum dependant products in another part of the world. While oil prices have stayed the relatively the same here in the US, a nation like China, who has extreme dependency on getting oil from different locations in order to manufacture our goods, and transport them across the pacific, will have prices change a lot more rapidly.

Worker wages really haven't gone up but a lot of Chinese manufacturers have started losing US business because there have been issues with quality from several manufacturers that have started to effect profits with their American business partners. I'm sure their quotes have been going up just to make up for the loss.

And of course, like with BBI, there isn't any large retail support so production quantities are low.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Even IF petrol AND labor costs have gone up, it certainly hasn't gone up enough to justify the ridiculous markup on products that already had molds done...

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I'm guessing that it has a lot to do with much smaller batches, probably a tiny fraction of what they were making when they had WM support. That can make the price go up a bunch, no question. And materials and labor and shipping. All that has gone up too.

BUT none of that all together makes prices go up 4x. I don't begrudge a company making a profit, that's why they do the work. Otherwise, why not just go fishing? But I fear that it's more a recognition that the small fanbase they have is pretty hardcore, and that a big chunk of them will buy at grossly inflated prices. Ebay has taught us all that there is a decent number of people willing to shell out ridiculous money for these. So the companies are trying to cherry-pick those buyers.

Bottom line, those of us that are interested in the products at 2005 wal-mart prices are not in the target audience for these. It might make lots of those people mad, but you aren't the customer they are looking for. Neither am I, b/c I'm not paying $200 for a Huey. But such is life and business.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Lets face it everything now a days is going up in price. I still remember when the most expensive Lego set was around $50. Today they are capping out at $150-200 a piece. And some of those are at Wall mart prices that are expected to still draw in a fairly large consumer crowd.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Still not paying 200 bucks for an existing mold. That Huey (IF it happens at all) better be a D or N for that kind of bread.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
If they do plan to release another livery (Sundowners scheme) on the F-14 I wonder how many will actually be produce looking back at past sales and at what cost to the consumer. I'm guessing a very limited run this time around with a higher price tag then before. But that's all dependent on if the retailers buy in which might not happen since they are still trying to unload the ones they have now.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I really think if JSI could get the approval from Hasbro, that a Skystriker and Jetfire deco would sell pretty good...I'm betting more than people think...

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
If they do make improvements to the mold and landing gears on the F-14 I'm expecting the price to surely go up. They will probably stick with the same armament from either the S1 or S2 to keep costs down on their end but that's a total guess on my part.

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
* peaks head over ledge.

I hope the WWII plane is an A series FW 190

* Ducks for cover.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
D's would give the most repaint options, plus you could fib and call it later models.