Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
I'd love to make one of these:

Good luck!

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
That's pretty badass and I think I have another body of that laying around.

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
The crane is from a Bruder. I cut and modded it to fit the original rolling thunder turret. The hydraulic cylinder fit right where the original cannon pivoted.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
Cool idea!

On the gun truck... While kinda awesome in concept, wouldn't an RPG to the fuel tank (conveniently located under the center) ruin pretty much everybody aboard's day? And, that's one huge RPG magnet... just sayin'. :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Cool idea!

On the gun truck... While kinda awesome in concept, wouldn't an RPG to the fuel tank (conveniently located under the center) ruin pretty much everybody aboard's day? And, that's one huge RPG magnet... just sayin'. :D

The hope is to lay down a fusillade that would preclude an rpg gunner from getting into range.

RPGs will kill an Abrams if you use the right one. There's no "god mode" in the real world.

ThunderDan19

Here Comes the Boom!!!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
VA
The hope is to lay down a fusillade that would preclude an rpg gunner from getting into range.

I understand that, but they ought to at least put a couple of those deflector panels in front of it, in case somebody catches them with their pants down.

Heh, funny when you use words like "fusillade," I always remember the scene in Red Dawn when the Eagle pilot is trying to plan the POW camp attack with the kids: "What's a defilade?" :D

RPGs will kill an Abrams if you use the right one. There's no "god mode" in the real world.

An RPG can definitely render an Abrams or any other vehicle immobile with a good (some would say "god") hit to the engine or tread wheel. What's nice about the Abrams is that it would take a serious cascade of system failures for an RPG to "blow up" (instakill) an Abrams. Typically, the level of safety countermeasures have allowed for high survivability and time to exit the vehicle. Even direct tank fire has been shown to be ineffective at times in destroying a wounded/immobilized Abrams.

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
A little more done on the under lift. All of the pieces are moveable. The plies are there just to have weight on the back end until I am finished and ready to glue it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 23

HeelJoe

Is singin' in Acid Rain
Jan 23, 2013
Midlands - UK
Oooh!! I've hav two of these & I was thinking about a custom of sorts but didn't know what... I like what NSA put on the table & I love the crane also. Just as per usual, I wouldn't know where to start lol

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
More added to the underlift. I also had a cheap general dollar remote control crane that so graciously lended it's motor and gear box for repurposed use as a main winch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 23

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
I hear what you are saying HJ. I didn't know where to start either. Have had the pieces for a long time and I kept looking at it and figuring what would go where. When I finally started on it, I found the first part I knew I would have to reuse and I just cut it. No turning back at that point. Just move forward.

HeelJoe

Is singin' in Acid Rain
Jan 23, 2013
Midlands - UK
I have found the bruder crane and a couple other vehicles on the net which I might purchase in the next couple of months to help with the customising. This project really grabs me and I might have to postpone purchasing more of NSA's Joe collection for awhile and get started on this :D

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
Well I was a mechanic and ran a M984A2R1 HEMTT wrecker for a lil over 12 years in the Army. I seen all of these joe vehicles and thought that "by god they need a dedicated mechanic and recovery vehicle!!!" So this is what I have came up with. I need to name it. For old times sake, we have a REAPer report that is like calling a tow company for the army. Recovery of Equipment And Personnel. So REAPer may be a good one. But I also like Happy Hooker. :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Both those names are good...one seems vey much GIJOE like, and one is just fun...maybe make a driver for it and call him Happy Hooker...heck, make it a girl :D

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
So between VA appointments and everything else this week, I haven't done much work on the REAPer as I am calling it now. Gonna do a bit tonight. Can't sleep so might as well.

HeelJoe

Is singin' in Acid Rain
Jan 23, 2013
Midlands - UK
Despite having a black hawk and a pitt in pieces on my dio room floor... I have begun customising one of my rolling thunders lol

The Right of Might

Bustin Ours', Savin' Your
Aug 30, 2011
The Rolling Thunder is such a classic frame, great idea making a recovery vehicle! Look forward to the finish product

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
Here is what I have been working on. Framed up the big ugly windows. Gonna end up painting the frame and the lower portion of the clear parts. I have taken both of the ramps and turned the unused space into storage. The one has two boxes for chains and tools. The other ramp has one big door for rapid access to the many different towing adapters. The ramps will be part of the "outrigger system," to be put down when crane is in use.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 34

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
Here is a closer shot of the ramps. The left one has shovels, sledge hammers, bolt cutters, and an ax up top. The bottom box on left has 4 long and 2 short chains. The ramp on the left has all the different tow adapters, risers, and spacers. The door has not been installed on it yet to show the adapters. They all can be taken out and used on the underlift system.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 28

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
It may be sexy, but it is a pain in the ass. I did more cussing the last few days than I have in a while. It takes patience and a little imagination. And if you don't have an imagination, try to remember how thing look and go together.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Here is a closer shot of the ramps. The left one has shovels, sledge hammers, bolt cutters, and an ax up top. The bottom box on left has 4 long and 2 short chains. The ramp on the left has all the different tow adapters, risers, and spacers. The door has not been installed on it yet to show the adapters. They all can be taken out and used on the underlift system.

that is fantastic...amazing skills.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Jesus. Between you and Digler the rest of us might as well just quit working on vehicles. ;)

Seriously, this is shaping up really nice.

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
Sorry guys, no progress. This past week, I took the family on vacation to Disney. I wanted to take my stuff with me but the wife wouldn't let me. :( We got back Monday and between unpacking and running all of the errands I haven't had much time with it. May get a chance to get back to it tonight.

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
This is what I have accomplished in the short time I have got to work on the REAPer. Removed the fender/weapon stations. Going to make updated fenders with storage boxes and a spare tire mount. Also beginning to modify the crane to make it dual line. Ordered some rc winches to make it playable with my main winch. Not much really got accomplished. Just an update for those wondering.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 33

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Depends on how good you are at painting...woodland is more difficult as it's harder to get detailing/weathering to show up than it is on tan schemes...

SGTDUNN

Enlisted
Mar 29, 2011
Dalton, GA
Fenders finished. Got my rc winches in today. Spending the evening mocking up the mounting of the winches and the dual line spreader at the end of the boom. I know my table is a mess. But I know where everything is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27