Budo armor repaint.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
He picked up the card and read it under his breath:

"Item: Sengoku Period Armor
BuNo: 56728-2
Origin: Japan, precise date unknown, likely c.1580.
Date of acquisition: 24 November, 1945. Uncovered during rubble clearing operations in Tokio, 13-14 October, 1945.
HTS Classification: 1̶/̶5̶ ̶ 4/5 (reclassified 16-X-1951)

Notes: The Waring States Period produced scores of enchanted, cursed and otherwise preternatural items. While this suit of armor is but one of many in the Bureau, it is potentially the most dangerous of them all. It would seem to be impervious to all forms of damage, and also extends to the wearer unfathomable strength.......and fury. The last confirmed wearer of the armor slew almost a thousand people before he could be subdued.

This item SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED. Extended physical contact will activate the armor. Suggest level 5 segregation procedures.

N.B. See Dr. Suigetsu's notes for more."

Jackson's voice stirred him from his reverie. "Stay away from that one, kid. Don't look at it, don't think about it, and, Jesus, Mary and Joseph DON'T touch it!"

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Let's just say I get why someone would do it all one or two colors and then do a wash or two.

I'm thinking of going back and painting the studs silver. It would break up the black on the plates just a little bit more.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Fantastic! No shot from the front without the coat, thing, on?

Complete retreating blade stall caused me to deleted that particular pic.
He really does look better layered up, though.

I guess along with finding some sword scabbards to stick in that belt I need to get a case for it, too.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I may do something similar since I have zero attachment to the Budo character, and I don't need a samurai warrior. But a suit of armor in CC's throne room, sure.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's more or less why I did it. I do have an interest in samurai, but no need to have one in the Joeverse.

And the sculpt on that suit of armor is just too good not to highlight with paint. Hasbro really outdid themselves.

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
I'm working on a post for the armor to sit on at Joe height, and I might do the same with the neck for the helmet. But my painting skills are limited, so it might remain the colors that it is.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I have some kind of display stand that I almost put it on, but decided sitting everything on the torso would allow it to look good and use the arms and shoulder plates.

Traditionally, Japanese armor would be displayed on an armor box, but that was a set of headaches I didn't want to deal with.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Oh yes, lovely!

As for scabbards...I used small red straws, the kind you stir coffee with. You can bend them ever so slightly to conform to the curvature of the swords.

You will however have to thin down the material of the belt to get them to fit in holes already there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I was thinking of using some wiring heat-shrink. It wasn't uncommon in those days to have the scabbard in an animal skin sleeve (tiger looks the best) and I'm hoping to replicate that.