Club Sub 1.0 Update

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
I'm really not excited for the first 2 figures. They both look stupid as hell to me.

i hear ya man. there a pass for sure.

If they release all the plans for the 12 figures and they have some solid classics in there, I will sign up and sell off the duds

man i hear ya if they have more the 6 great figs ill sign up but for one or 2 then ill pass as its not wort it to me. they need to give a full line up and pics of them all to get ppl to sign up as alot of us smart ppl wont just sign up and pray they have more cool figs then crap ones.

Well, according to General Joes, all 13 prototypes should be approved by the time the subscription officially opens. So there's no reason why they can't let us see them.

And if they don't, I say we all hold off buying subscriptions and email them every several days, explaining we won't commit to a subscription until we can see what we're getting. Even if it's just a few of us, at $250+ a person, that is not an unreasonable concession to make on their part.
im so with you on this thats alot of cash to put down with out knowing what we are getting.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i don't even need to see them...i just need a list of names

so far, not at all impressed...they really needed to step it up right off the bat to get guys on board, but instead, they made the sub look like an awful idea....if they really wanted to get some sign ups, they shoulda went with Covergirl or some other popular un-released figure first...not some figure that less than
10 dudes want

Lantern_lad

Vintage Graphic Designer
Jul 4, 2011
Southern California
I hate being a nay-sayer, but, I freaking HATE these subscription services. I do not blindly purchase every piece of plastic (crap) thrown at me. In this economy I have to pick & choose what I buy, and I also have space limitations to consider. It's like Mattel and their DCUC line going to subscriptions with non-mainstream characters. Screw that. I'm not signing up so I can get the most obscure character that, in my 28 years of comic reading, I've only heard of once or, in Joe Clubs case, freaking international figures.

Sorry, going off on a Mattel tangent and applying it to Joe Club as well.

But seriously, if you want people to commit, let us know what you're planning on making so I can make an informed decision!

Edit:

And now I just read other posts and see that others feel the same way... so I just wasted my time and, hopefully not yours... nothing new to see here... move along!

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Sadly, some people will go into the sub blindly not caring what they get as long as the card art is a certain style. I'd be curious if they are going to give international figures their original style card art? The fact that they have made an update to tell people what they already know is kind of stupid I think. Why even make an announcement?

At least with ones that somebody doesn't want they can sell them off but who knows what you would really get for them. If there are lots of others that don't want the same figure it will surely not go for a decent price but anything back is better than nothing. Nothing I want from the sub so money I'll save but for those that have interest it's a shame they are not revealing more if the prototypes are being made. I guess as long as they announce it before they open the subscription up then it's still ok. It seems that's how they do things, last minute.

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
I hate being a nay-sayer, but, I freaking HATE these subscription services. I do not blindly purchase every piece of plastic (crap) thrown at me. In this economy I have to pick & choose what I buy, and I also have space limitations to consider. It's like Mattel and their DCUC line going to subscriptions with non-mainstream characters. Screw that. I'm not signing up so I can get the most obscure character that, in my 28 years of comic reading, I've only heard of once or, in Joe Clubs case, freaking international figures.

Sorry, going off on a Mattel tangent and applying it to Joe Club as well.

But seriously, if you want people to commit, let us know what you're planning on making so I can make an informed decision!

Edit:

And now I just read other posts and see that others feel the same way... so I just wasted my time and, hopefully not yours... nothing new to see here... move along!

as you can see we all feel this way as i said before this is a bad idea and the club sure needs to give us more info beside the 2 figs that we knew about a yr ago if not longer. a list of names would be good but pics would be better as i don't want crappy figs.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
The fact that they have made an update to tell people what they already know is kind of stupid I think. Why even make an announcement?

I agree. They did put up a higher res updated photo of Scarlett and she now has different accessories then before but I still agree

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
An update to the GIJCC (which can be found in the "Notes" section of their Facebook page):

•THIS is the Facebook page for the OFFICIAL G.I. Joe Collectors' Club which is operated under license from Hasbro, Inc. We also operate GIJoeCon which is the ONLY official G.I. Joe Convention.

•The official website for the Club is www.gijoeclub.com.You are not a member by liking this Facebook page.

•Officer Level Members (paid) get a monthly magazine and a free figure each year they are an active member. Members also receive special pricing in the online store and free use of the MCAX auction site. There is also a Members Only message board.

•The Club will soon be offering an add-on service to Officer Level Members which will be a Figure Subscription Service. This will be an additional charge to your paid Club Officer Level Membership.

•The Figure Subscription will be 2 carded figures shipped every month for 6 months for a total of 12. Subscribers will receive a 13th figure FREE at the end if the subscription period.

•Figure Subscriptions will only be available to Officer Level (paid) members for a limited time. After the cutoff date, no more subscriptions will be sold for that period of figure mailings.

•The Figure Subscription and Club Membership are TWO different things and you MUST be an active Officer Level member in order to be eligible for the Figure Subscription.

•The 12 figures will be known when the Figure Subscription window opens, but the 13th figure will be a secret. (We hope.) Don't tell when you get yours! :)

This information is not final, but hopefully it answers SOME questions.

My bolding of the last point, as I think it's the only new information this tells us.

So still nothing on pricing, and I'm not sure if "figures will be known" will be name-only or pictures (I still much prefer the latter), but this should ease some anxiety.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
thats good to hear...though it sucks that you have to pay for the sub, whatever astronomical price that will be PLUS $42 for a membership...

essentially, the GIJCC

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
An update to the GIJCC (which can be found in the "Notes" section of their Facebook page):

My bolding of the last point, as I think it's the only new information this tells us.

So still nothing on pricing, and I'm not sure if "figures will be known" will be name-only or pictures (I still much prefer the latter), but this should ease some anxiety.

I wonder how much time they are giving between the announcement of the figures to the closing of the subscription? I realize they don't want any info leaks but some clues as to what they have would be nice. It does keep the topic alive though by not saying anything so maybe they are on to something. :rolleyes:

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
It does keep the topic alive though by not saying anything so maybe they are on to something. :rolleyes:

I think this air of mystery may be working against them. There was a lot of enthusiasm when this announcement was first made. But if you troll over to the HT's thread on this, you'll see a lot of people talking each other out of this subscription by (1) posting worst-case scenarios, or (2) setting up very high expectations ("They better have Cover Girl and Footloose and City-Strike Scarlet and Alpine, or I'm not joining").

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

Thanks for the update Char. Still not enough info but at least we will know who the figures will be before signing up

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I agree with you guys that it sucks that you have to pay the $42 membership AND the sub price, lucky for me, I've already paid the $42 :)

Big Jim

Thread Derailer
Mar 15, 2011
Occupied PRK
So was this the update about the upcoming update? Or the update before the update to update you that they plan to update something soon?

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
So was this the update about the upcoming update? Or the update before the update to update you that they plan to update something soon?

hahaha.

no shit, they just need to put the fucking info out there. I want to know if I'm gonna need to blow $400 or not

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Eh, I'm okay with the 13th figure being a mystery. They better not pull some shit like making a main-US-cast character as the 13th (like a Cover-Girl or Footloose), though, or people will be up in arms.

If they list the characters and Footloose and Cover-Girl are in the lineup (either or both) I'll go ahead and roll the dice for the entire subscription, so long as the others aren't god-awful. It's good that they're going to at least list the figures up front, though. Pics, like stated a thousand times before, would be best-practice, if you ask me, but I don't need to know the 13th figure to sign up for the series if it's good enough. Hopefully they go about this smartly.

Regardless of the 13th figure being good or not, he'll command a high demand just out of stupid supply/demand as he'll be the rarest. I wonder if he'll be available for purchase by sub-holders though, or if it's one-only per subscription? Have they stated that?

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Damn, didn't know you had to be an officer member to get in on this. They get you coming and going, don't they?

But hey, you'd get 2 free figures that way, woo-woo. :rolleyes:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Eh, I'm okay with the 13th figure being a mystery. They better not pull some shit like making a main-US-cast character as the 13th (like a Cover-Girl or Footloose), though, or people will be up in arms.

If they list the characters and Footloose and Cover-Girl are in the lineup (either or both) I'll go ahead and roll the dice for the entire subscription, so long as the others aren't god-awful. It's good that they're going to at least list the figures up front, though. Pics, like stated a thousand times before, would be best-practice, if you ask me, but I don't need to know the 13th figure to sign up for the series if it's good enough. Hopefully they go about this smartly.

Regardless of the 13th figure being good or not, he'll command a high demand just out of stupid supply/demand as he'll be the rarest. I wonder if he'll be available for purchase by sub-holders though, or if it's one-only per subscription? Have they stated that?

I agree Rex, I'm okay with the 13th fig being a suprise, in fact I think it's kinda cool. Knowing who the first 12 are going to be is crucial :eek:

It would be a great if they release pics but I don't think that will happen. They haven't stated yet about whether are not figures can be purchased seperatly

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Damn, didn't know you had to be an officer member to get in on this. They get you coming and going, don't they?

But hey, you'd get 2 free figures that way, woo-woo. :rolleyes:

yea, that was stated for the first time today. Honestly I thought that was going to be the case from day 1, but after reading some of the comments and trolling over at HT for a bit, I see that many folks were not under that impression

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The shitty thing is, about having to be a $42 paid member (in addition to paying for a shitty magazine and a half-assed "free" figure) is that, what if this damned thing doesn't kick off for another 6 months? My membership ends around the deadline, and unless next year's figure is stellar, I'm not re-upping again after this year's bullshit handling of things...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
The shitty thing is, about having to be a $42 paid member (in addition to paying for a shitty magazine and a half-assed "free" figure) is that, what if this damned thing doesn't kick off for another 6 months? My membership ends around the deadline, and unless next year's figure is stellar, I'm not re-upping again after this year's bullshit handling of things...

I didn't think about that. I don't remember when my membership ends. It might be in Jan or Feb. Knowing my luck, They will start it the month mine ends :(

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Part of me figured that this would replace the "free" figure for next year. I wonder now if this replaces that old model, or is in addition to it... Because otherwise, that $42 for a chance to pay more for a subscription without the "free" membership figure, and all you get is that damned magazine, is laaaame.

I dunno, I'm probably just confusing everyone at this point. They just need to come out and set the record straight. If they're waiting on test shots, isn't it a bit far along at this point to change what figure it is? Shit, just submit a list already.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
...I wonder if he'll be available for purchase by sub-holders though, or if it's one-only per subscription? Have they stated that?

I've been wondering the same thing myself for a while, and so I've been keeping a close ear out for any such info. So no, the Club hasn't said yet whether subscription members are allowed to purchase more than one. Reading between the lines, though, I do think this will be one-per-subscription.

Regarding your first point about holding out the high-demand figure for the mystery bonus...I actually can see them doing that. It may cause an uproar, but it will get more on-the-fence people to gamble on the subscription for the second and subsequent rounds....

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Part of me figured that this would replace the "free" figure for next year. I wonder now if this replaces that old model, or is in addition to it... Because otherwise, that $42 for a chance to pay more for a subscription without the "free" membership figure, and all you get is that damned magazine, is laaaame.

I dunno, I'm probably just confusing everyone at this point. They just need to come out and set the record straight. If they're waiting on test shots, isn't it a bit far along at this point to change what figure it is? Shit, just submit a list already.

I'm pretty sure that it won't replace the free figure. Cuz they also offer the chance to get a "free" 12 inch figure instead of the 4 inch figure.

Your right thou, they just need to come out with the damn info.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011

They are still doing the "free" Officer figure separate:

•Officer Level Members (paid) get a monthly magazine and a free figure each year they are an active member.

•The Figure Subscription and Club Membership are TWO different things and you MUST be an active Officer Level member in order to be eligible for the Figure Subscription.

But this goes back to what I was saying before...the lack of information from these guess is just making everyone speculate...which, I think, is ultimately killing the initial enthusiasm from this subscription plan.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
They are still doing the "free" Officer figure separate:

But this goes back to what I was saying before...the lack of information from these guess is just making everyone speculate...which, I think, is ultimately killing the initial enthusiasm from this subscription plan.

Yea Rex! Don't you fucking read? :rolleyes:

I missed it too

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I didn't think about that. I don't remember when my membership ends. It might be in Jan or Feb. Knowing my luck, They will start it the month mine ends :(

i'd be surprized if it doesnt start AFTER March to force everyone to have to re-up their memberships first...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
I've been wondering the same thing myself for a while, and so I've been keeping a close ear out for any such info. So no, the Club hasn't said yet whether subscription members are allowed to purchase more than one. Reading between the lines, though, I do think this will be one-per-subscription.

Regarding your first point about holding out the high-demand figure for the mystery bonus...I actually can see them doing that. It may cause an uproar, but it will get more on-the-fence people to gamble on the subscription for the second and subsequent rounds....

I would be nice if Members had the chance to buy extras. Make it a bagged figure to help with the cost. If they don't, I hope they don't do any killer army builders

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I really do think having bagged extras would be the best option, so long as it comes with a file card. Really, I only want a second to open, as I figure most idiots would who are dumb enough to sign up for the subscription in the first place. :)

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
I really do think having bagged extras would be the best option, so long as it comes with a file card. Really, I only want a second to open, as I figure most idiots would who are dumb enough to sign up for the subscription in the first place. :)

You can count me in as one of those idiots.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

lol. True. I open everything now

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Well, to be fair, I'm the idiot who wants it opened and one carded. Now, the Nano-B.A.T.? If his card art is cool enough, I'll be a sucker to keep it. If not, I may sell off that sumbitch... I sure as hell don't want any openers of the turds like Green Scarlett or Nano-B.A.T.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Slayer's OSC Subscription club is doing it the right way, IMO. You get the figure at full price, but you get additional figures for about 50% off. You can pick and choose which of the figures you want to army build, including their bonus exclusive figures.

[They also have a fairly active forum where they solicit feedback, show pictures of where they are in the process, and reply pretty rapidly to questions. Even if some of those answers may be a "we're not sure yet", it feels like they are showing some love to us.]

Did the GIJCC ever show us a picture of their nano-BAT? Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever seeing it. I've seen the so-called "cancelled" one, but has The Club showed their take on it?