Cobra Advanced Weapons Facility

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Okay so this has been a loooooong project of mine. It is the Cobra Advanced Weapons Facility. The layout is around 7'x3.5', still a long way to go but I am liking my progress, took a few months off to work on other stuff.

Sooooo, the deal here is this dio when finished will only house customized figs and vehicles, figs and vehicles shown now are just to show scale.

Also built as 100% modular

A ton of painting is left to do, more tarmac to lay and water to form.

Well onto the pics...

Up first a before and after example of tarmac

So this was the first layout design

Which has been converted to this layout, which should be the final one

Next is a shot of my Dreadnok's shanty, per Zartan's request to CC that he have a place to keep his Noks and CC agreed as it'll keep them out of his hair or hood as the case may be. So they "imported" a shanty frmo the swamps of Florida, this unstained w/fig to show size

First test of giving it a porch, and on it's landscape

Test fit of stilts and railing and posts

And close to finished

Courtyard...this has been a bugger trying to figure out the layout and what to do in here

A closer look at the "inside" of the wall in the courtyard

Most recent, still need to turn the posterbaord into tarmac, and you can see the first finished wall

Main structure, where the fun happens
Top floor: Hangar
Middle Floor: Still deciding but may be the armory
Bottom Floor: Compund Z testing

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Thanks guys!! Shocking Monkeywrench likes the shanty!! to be honest that so far is my favorite part, and maybe the most ambitious, what it stated as is somethign very different than where it ended!

This was the first design, made from foam and I hated it!

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Man it has been some time since I last updated!

It has been a journey trying to make such a large dio (my frist dio period, lol) a LOT has changed in the layout since I began, but learning new techniques, products to use have contributed to the changes...with that said we are in the absolute final layout design and was based on me getting my very first Terror Drome! I went from Urban city layout, to a castle, to big arse building to this final one Cobra Island! The purpose of the dio remains the same Cobra hideout for advanced weapons....I still have a ton of carving, sculpting and painting to do so please don't mind the pink, lol

I would like to say that all the guys & gals at Diostructure have inspired me almost daily....well on to the update pics!

Full layout...all taht you see in pink will be carved, sculpted and painted to look like a volcano, parts of the base will be built into it and the TD will look like they took part of the volcano away to place it

Compound Z lab

#2 Z Lab

Containment Cell

SS's Dojo

There will be more to come! The Robotics Lab needs more love, Z Lab needs more as well, tubes need be painted, lights need to be added throughout the whole dio, shoreline to be carved, water to be placed, but now it should move right along as I FINALLY decided on a layout, only took 14 months and several configurations, lol

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Thanks VV! It has been a labor of love, I hope to get some carving done this weekend

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Thanks guys!!! I sat and just stared at it for about 30 mins last night, trying to decide on a natural shoreline of to make the whole shorline docks...will be picking up another 8 ft sheet of foam, I need to create some depth to the volcano, gluing and stacking the same shape just a tad smaller should give that to me

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I would grab a heavy grit sand paper too. If using insulation foam it sands great. Sand the seams/edges of the foam but dont blow away dust, let it settle in the cracks. Push excess dust in the seams if you can. Put a small amount of school glue on it and you just smoothed your seams/edges and filled them at the same time.

Last edited:

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
I would grab a heavy grit sand paper too. If using insulation foam it sands great. Sand the seams/edges of the foam but dont blow away dust, let it settle in the cracks. Push excess dust in the seams if you can. Put a small amount of school glue on it and you just smoothed your seams/edges and filled them at the same time.

You in my basement with me? lol That is the plan, plus some of the larger pieces can be used as rubble at the base of it, may try to put a couple of caves here & there, I am debaating on making a catwalk behind the TD, I have "America's Largest Train Store" a town away and they have some awesome scale railings, I already picked up an enclosed ladder, like for a water tower

The other fun part of this project is that once it's done (the dio part) it'll be a display for only custom work, no out of package Joes will be used

Here is a pic I'm using for idea placement

The red arrows will be where I add thickness

Blue is my shorline, straight or natural??

Green wil be the lowest edge of the volcano, that needs to be cut to add the "raod" for the MMT

And the purple one may be a cave, if I can cut one large enough I may be able to use the cave as a place for the Nok's to hide crates and park??

Last edited:

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Had an INCREDIBLE day yesterday!!! For May the 4th we had a big local Trade Fest, on local comic shop let us in for 3 hours before they opened to do soem trading and who showed but none other than Boss Fight Studios!! They had their Vitruvian H.A.C.K.S. line on display! So freakin cool!!

My big takeaway besides fodder was a 2nd Terror Drome! I hung our for a few hours after the meet with some good dudes and went home inspired...so more dio work done!

Last edited: