Dollar General Speculation

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Anyone think they'd do a wave 3 (or a 3 & 4, similar to what they have now)?

(Or wave 2, if you like to think of the ones out now as wave 1A and 1B)

Also curious as to what people think would make good figure choices if they work off of the same idea that they did for the first ones (minimal accessories, no new tooling, etc.).

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I would love nothing more than for them to squeeze in the ARAH characters that they've missed so far like Cross Country and Frostbite for example...but no new tooling, I'm not sure I'd want that...and then of course we now know that characters of that sort are being held back so the Club and Hasbro can release them at sky high prices...and even further, I wouldn't want DGs to get them since they are ghosts around my area...

what I'd love to see is more generic looking figures in tans and greens like Shippy and Dukes that make for great fodder...

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I'd love to see more, (different sculps) but I don't think we will be seeing another wave.

Reissue the televiper
trooper in desert colors.
Joes in reissue colors or new generic solder designs.
Drivers in single packs
USS Flagg :)

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
How about more army builders claiming to be main characters?

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
They stated in a Q&A or at a con that the limitations they got for the first wave was "no new figures". The team interpreted that to mean "no new tooling" so they made new figs from existing tooling. They later learned that they weren't supposed to be making LBCs, that they were supposed to be doing straight repaints of previous retail figures.

So it was an accident that the ones we've gotten were actually new and exciting. I suspect that the next round, if there is one, will be more along the lines the first was intended to be, i.e. straight repaints.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
They stated in a Q&A or at a con that the limitations they got for the first wave was "no new figures". The team interpreted that to mean "no new tooling" so they made new figs from existing tooling. They later learned that they weren't supposed to be making LBCs, that they were supposed to be doing straight repaints of previous retail figures.

So it was an accident that the ones we've gotten were actually new and exciting. I suspect that the next round, if there is one, will be more along the lines the first was intended to be, i.e. straight repaints.

I remember that. They did say in a follow-up that the demand for them was much higher than expected, though, so hopefully they'd learn the lesson there.

I guess that's not likely, though, huh?

Frankly, though, there's a lot they could do even with straight repaints, like both Cobra Troopers.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
MOAR DUKES! MOAR CC'S! MOAR SNAKE EYEZ!!

Like it or not punk, this WILL happen

Like v.54 SE in olive drab?

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Wait, what site am I on? Speculation?! How dare you start a "LET'S COUNT SKYSTRIKERS!" quality thread. :proposetoast:

I kid, I kid.

I wish they'd make the blue shirt in grey, and do a Bazooka trooper webgear-ed trooper, maybe in desert or green. Or hell, in straight up blue again. I always loved that webgear. They could repaint that Shock trooper/Blueshirt a dozen times in good colors and I'd buy it.

A solid arctic-themed trooper would be good. Maybe redo that original 25th Dusty torso in another deco? Or some other jungle-themed redecos.

For $6 they're about the best deal you can get, and if they'd weed out shit like the CCs, Storm Shadows and Snake Eyes, they could make awesome waves.

Honestly, I'd like to see a redo of 25th Hawk using newer parts like Shock Trooper arms and SE legs with the kneepad-less knees (Firefly knees) and Law head, with the helmet/goggle combo from POC Dusty. I guess they could just reuse the 25th torso, or figure out some way to cleverly recreate that coat/collar. I think they could give us an updated 25th Roadblock using the new Retaliation buck with the Resolute noggin and vest or some other webgear.

Troopers they could update by reusing 100% existing parts would be the Tele-Viper, Motor-Viper, Snow Serpent, etc.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'd love to see them all be troop builders...

No more damned CCs or ninjas. If they had any sense, they'd only make troop builders. Duke works as a trooper with a head swap, so that's the only reason I didn't include him in the omitted ones.

The problem is, ANY shelfwarmers hurt their cause. They need to churn through order after order, and if they wind up with only room for 6-8 figures on the peg, after a reorder or two, they're clogged with the undesirables and don't move anymore. Include clever troop-builders, and they'd move cases much faster. I don't get why they can't figure that shit out after all these years.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, but they cannot stand the notion that someone walks up to the peg and says, "Hmm, these look cool. But they aren't the characters I remember as a kid. Boy, that Snake Eyes sure was cool. If they only had him and the leader, Duke, I'd pick up all of these and become a life-long toy collector.... but since they only have cool looking troopers, I'll just get a pack of ding-dongs and an overpriced coke instead."

This is their nightmare scenario, and thus every wave has the same crap over and over. I'm just thankful that they weren't afraid to innovate/experiment back in the day. Sure, some of those experiments were pure crap (Raptor, anyone?), but at least they TRIED. Of course, it usually involved killing off/phasing out/completely ignoring all the prior characters in favor of the new ones in the tie-in media, but those are the breaks. It beats repeatedly getting the same rehash again and again.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, but they cannot stand the notion that someone walks up to the peg and says, "Hmm, these look cool. But they aren't the characters I remember as a kid. Boy, that Snake Eyes sure was cool. If they only had him and the leader, Duke, I'd pick up all of these and become a life-long toy collector.... but since they only have cool looking troopers, I'll just get a pack of ding-dongs and an overpriced coke instead."

This is their nightmare scenario, and thus every wave has the same crap over and over. I'm just thankful that they weren't afraid to innovate/experiment back in the day. Sure, some of those experiments were pure crap (Raptor, anyone?), but at least they TRIED. Of course, it usually involved killing off/phasing out/completely ignoring all the prior characters in favor of the new ones in the tie-in media, but those are the breaks. It beats repeatedly getting the same rehash again and again.

Raptor is a rewrite away from being every bit as loved as SE or CC. I maintain that if his file card said some shit about being a pissed off indian and not an accountant with an unhealthy proclivity for falconry he'd be a must-have.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Raptor is a rewrite away from being every bit as loved as SE or CC. I maintain that if his file card said some shit about being a pissed off indian and not an accountant with an unhealthy proclivity for falconry he'd be a must-have.

Or a ninja. Everyone loves ninjas.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011

This is why they need to make generic bodies like SE in OD or tan with a SE/Duke/SS/CC/RB head on the figure, but an extra plain head in the package...or hell, all named core character heads for all I care but with troop builder bodies...

Gungho-joe

Enlisted
Apr 1, 2011
Ohio
This is why they need to make generic bodies like SE in OD or tan with a SE/Duke/SS/CC/RB head on the figure, but an extra plain head in the package...or hell, all named core character heads for all I care but with troop builder bodies...

now we just need to get you embedded deep in Hasbro's Joe Creative Team (if there is such a thing) so your plan can be fulfilled!!!.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder

Yeah, I think that's something most of the core F118 crowd agrees on. I would guess that most of us would pay an extra buck for DG figures if they came with a useful secondary troop-builder head. It might defeat the emerging market price point that they plan to hit for DG figures, but it would get the attention of a crapload of collectors.

At this point, I'd prefer all retail figures to be in simple packaging with just a gun and an extra head for $6-$7 rather than paying $10 to see the Rock's face and have more guns than three figures could carry. Ult Duke has awesome gear, but is he arming a small platoon? I feel like I'm pay $2-$3 extra for weapons I don't really want or need.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
I'd be down for more basic repaints and sneaky use of parts.

In as many decent colours as possible.

KT's idea about PoC Ultimate Snake-Eyes in Olive Drab... heavenly. I don't think we've gotten those lower legs in a darker green.

It be great if they call came with masked heads, like 3-pack's Airborne mask, the upcoming Cobra Ninja/movie trooper balaclava.

Have the PoC/30th Trooper parts IN ANY decent colour, instant buy. Just switch up the webbing for the Retaliation SE/Beachhead webbing or the one the DG Snake-eyes comes with. Maybe a basic T-shirt and combat pants generic.

Fun little thing to do with the green Ship Wreck, slap on a Retaliation flint head and instant classic Action Man.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Too many people in this thread get it.

I like that Action Man idea, Syn. I think with all those peak caps that they did for the OG set that the officer would be doable, too.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Too many people in this thread get it.

I like that Action Man idea, Syn. I think with all those peak caps that they did for the OG set that the officer would be doable, too.

Unfortunately, I think the Club heads may be reserved to the Club unless they were originally planned for retail (like Lady Jaye or Hit & Run) but if they could open up to those, that'd be awesome. There are several great choices in there.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well I meant by way of the custom route, using cast of the aforementioned caps.

Though there are quite a few heads that would be nice to see in the DG line if they were to be made available.