Dremel users - any advice on buying?

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
The titles says it all. I'd like to buy a dremel for customization of Joes. I see a lot of options (and prices).

What advice can you guys give to this first time buyer. What rpms range should I be looking at? Do I need variable speed? Which accessories should I be looking for?

So far, this is what I'm looking at:

Dremel 4000-2/30 120-Volt Variable Speed Rotary Tool Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-4000-2-30-120-Volt-Variable/dp/B002L3RUVG/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

How would you rank this? Am I missing something, or is this overkill for what I want to do?

Thanks, guys.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
That should be fine. I didn't go all out looking for mine, I just have a 300 series that's about 4 years old. I just got whatever they had at Home Depot when I went looking for one.

I got one that came with some bits, then I bought several other cases. Just get one with a cord... None of that battery-powered nonsense.

You'll also want to get the extension cord thing. I forget what it's called, but it's the longer adapter that has a smaller stylus handle. Looks like this:

http://www.propertyroom.com/l/dremel-rotary-tool-with-extension/8066015

That's saved me plenty of worry and burnt fingertips.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like it's got cutting bits, so that should be a fine set.

Don't forget you can use a Dremel for actual work, not just dissecting toys.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
I have several Dremals

1 x about 5 years old w/cord
1 x 2 years old w/cord
1 x 1 year old w/cord.
1 x cordless 6 months old

I have a different bit in the older ones to speed work . The cordless Dremel I use all day long .It is much easier to manipulate than the corded ones. The cordless I keep on the work table and the others hang on the side , out of the way.

When I am making a prototype I use the cordless about every 10 mins or so during the construction phase and I put back in it's charger. That one lasted 2 years before it snapped do to rigorous use.

it is true that the cordless ones do not last. My last one I had on/off switch broke internally. It would not turn off so I just put it in a vise and let it die.

That day, I went out and got a new one. I can not work with out it.

So there is no right or wrong Dremel . The main thing is price and Home Depot should have the best prices and they sell all of the options.

If you are just going to use it every now and then just get the plain Jane and start cutting.

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans

Pickelhaube

Replicator of Toys
Officer Club
Mar 15, 2011
New Orleans
This

Is making this :cool:

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Thanks, everyone, for sounding off. From what you guys suggested and my own research, I figured the 4000 might be overpowered for what I wanted to do.

I ended up getting the 300 with the flex-extension and a couple extra cutting bits.

Now happily going through my ARAH fodder bin to figure out which head I want to sacrifice to convert to 25th style....

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Cough, cough... Oh, the 300 you say? ;)

That should be fine. I didn't go all out looking for mine, I just have a 300 series that's about 4 years old. I just got whatever they had at Home Depot when I went looking for one.

I got one that came with some bits, then I bought several other cases. Just get one with a cord... None of that battery-powered nonsense.

You'll also want to get the extension cord thing. I forget what it's called, but it's the longer adapter that has a smaller stylus handle. Looks like this:

http://www.propertyroom.com/l/dremel-rotary-tool-with-extension/8066015

That's saved me plenty of worry and burnt fingertips.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
Cough, cough... Oh, the 300 you say? ;)

You do, of course, know you were the foremost thought in my head when I was looking at tools.... ;)

JK, man. For corded, they had the 300 and 4000, and I didn't see want made the 4000 so special it justified a $18 higher cost, so I got the 300 and spent the difference on bits.

I did get the extension adapter because of your (and somebody else's) recommendation, though, so thanks. It was more pricy than I thought it would be, but I can easily see itself justifying its cost after a couple uses...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
After you find stuff in person that you like, I've found that Amazon's a good source for replacements. I actually got the flex extension on Amazon, for a decent price.

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
After you find stuff in person that you like, I've found that Amazon's a good source for replacements. I actually got the flex extension on Amazon, for a decent price.

LOL! You're killing me here. NOW you tell me!

Thanks for the tip, MR.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Haha. Well I'm the type who likes to buy things in-store... I feel like online is only efficient if you know for certain what you're buying. (i.e. replacements or something you couldn't find in-store, like a size that wasn't in stock, etc.) But if it's a tool or clothing or shoes, etc... I prefer to buy something I can hold in the store first, without hassle of returning it.