G.I. Joe 30th Anniversary (Renegades) Duke - REVIEW

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think he's pretty good. Aside from an accessory compliment that's more Homo than Eddie at a Gay Day at Disney World I think he has great potential as a civilian or PMC custom base.

Plus he looks like Paul Walker a little so you can do Fast and Furious customs if that's your bag.

That body would definitely work for a McGarrett from the new Hawaii 5-0

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
haha now that you mention it, I can kind of see the Paul Walker there.

And yeah I find most people plan to use him as custom/troop builder fodder. I like him as Duke, but I did change him up a bit.

Here's how I have him currently:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Cool review! I will definitely get a few.

I'm always happy to have new head-sculpts, and this one is pretty good. I like the vest, as it is a good base to customize and make various mods to (adding pouches, gear, and whatnot). The arms and legs are decent fodder as well. The torso is decent, but the big gap going around the waistline is pretty bad. I know that there are a lot of vests that can cover that, but it would have been nice to have a new torso that didn't require a vest. The neck-ball(s) is interesting... I guess they had to do it in or for the vest to work on that torso, as he definitely has a giraffe neck going on with the Shock Trooper/Steel Brigade vest. What's cool though, is that you could just cut off the top peg and you have another already ready for you! Although, you might have to dremel a bigger hole in the head-sculpt.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Thanks for the review.

I hate that torso, but I love the vest, so it's staying on. I do wish they'd chosen another torso or added a belt, but it could be worse. At least the vest fits well. The torso is from Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes, if you want a belt that fits the waist snugly.

I've no problems with the head, I think it's great. They went a little overboard with the blue pupils, but that's the only flaw. Paint wise, I loved the weathering, but don't get how they missed painting the straps on half his left leg. That's one thing I'll need to touch up, along with adding a black dot in his eyes.

I agree on the pistols. I don't so much mind that he has four pistols, it's that he has four identical pistols. Did they just include all the Renegades figures pistols with him? Could they give him two pistols and some ammo clips/energy cartridges? or a knife? Or two different sets of pistols? Maybe a realistic one?

The only real thing I hate is the lack of a proper pistol holster on his leg. Instead, I need to fill that peg hole with a proper holster or knife sheath or something.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
great review...I have one and will likely pick up more for customs - assuming I see more... :D

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
The torso is from Paris Pursuit Snake Eyes, if you want a belt that fits the waist snugly.

Ah that's good to know. I've still seen him around recently. I probably wont now hahah.

I should've made mention of the missing paint apps. .. I noticed it as I was taking the photos for the review so I dunno why I didn't. Eh.

Glad you guys are liking the review. Haven't done one in a bit.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Finally just bought my first of many I'm sure. I found a TRU that has finally brought in all the newest JOE's.

A great PMC or Spec Op base as K-Tiger says and Fritzkrieg has shown us.

Alot to like and little to dislike.

Mine has a lazy paint job. The legs straps were only painted on one half of each leg and the strap along the bottom of the vest in back has one section unpainted.

I was pleasantly surprised to see the soles of his shoes painted. Saves me the trouble.

Now I just need to talk Keenan into casting some leg holsters (never should have shown us your casting skills).

I might have to make a wave two of my team Whiskey using this base for warm weather since this is a short sleeve figure and my Team Whiskey is dressed for colder temps. Did I just talk myself into buying 4 or 5 more of these figs??

I agree on the four pistols WTF?

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for the review. The figure looks good imo but it's silly that he has four pistols. Of course it's a pass for me cuz I'm tired of buying Dukes.

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
I've no problems with the head, I think it's great. They went a little overboard with the blue pupils, but that's the only flaw. Paint wise, I loved the weathering, but don't get how they missed painting the straps on half his left leg. That's one thing I'll need to touch up, along with adding a black dot in his eyes.

Well that's how they look in the Renegades cartoon. NO PUPILS!!!
The theory is that Duke supplies the others with the pistols.
Lots at my Target.