Geek Creek Kitbashes: Maps & Machetes

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
Until four or five years ago, I had little grasp of the history of the G.I. Joe brand before 1982. I was aware that Hasbro had created G.I. Joe as a series of twelve-inch military-themed figures back in the late '60s, but when the Sigma 6 series spun off into a sub-series called Adventure Team, I remember thinking, "That's a pretty nondescript name: 'Adventure Team'? Really? Bit corny, isn't it?"

Whatever the case, those Sigma 6 Adventure Team figures imbued the series with some of the two-fisted archaeology vibe of the Indiana Jones films, and I loved the pamphlet Hasbro included with each figure:

And for all my love for Destro and Gung-Ho and all the other lovely, un-produced 1/18th figures in Hasbro's "Vault", Sigma 6 Adventure Team Joe Colton is perhaps the un-produced figure that haunts me most:

Since the fall of Sigma 6, I have had the good fortune to watch GI Joe Documentary: The Story Of America's Movable Fighting Man:

http://www.amazon.com/Documentary-S...TF8&colid=34EMX3SD9QW4H&coliid=I1KN776TNXIBOH

It consists of interviews with the men and women behind the original G.I. Joe figures, plus original commercials from the late '60s and early '70s. It is essential viewing for any fan of the property.

Either through the documentary or some other source, I became familiar at last with the original vintage Adventure Team product, which is largely dismissed by G.I. Joe fans due to its non-military flavor (a result, of course, of the divisive Vietnam War, which suddenly called into question the commercial viability of "America's Fighting Man").

As a fan of Indiana Jones, I quickly became smitten with the Adventure Team tone and aesthetic. I cannot afford to collect vintage toys from the 1970s, nor do I necessarily care to. But there's something quaint and funny and exciting and almost sweetly naive and optimistic about a group of dudes going on adventures in pursuit of treasures and the like.

How can you not enjoy this?

My kitbashes, then, are not inspired by "the G.I. Joe-versus-Cobra fantasy" or a desire to create a realistic military aesthetic in the 1/18th scale, although I am a big fan of these approaches; Falcon Chile's work in the military-themed approach is absolutely humbling, for example.

Instead, my collection counts as its muses such pop cultural artifacts as Jonny Quest, and the "Science Adventure" novels for boys that arguably inspired Jonny Quest, the Rick Brant series, also called "Electronic Adventures" on some of the covers.

And for a somewhat more modern if intentionally (and fondly) backward-glancing edginess, my hobby takes inspiration also from Warren Ellis and John Cassaday's transcendent comic book series, Planetary:

An early issue of Planetary (indeed the first issue, if memory serves) features a mission statement that encapsulates my collecting, kitbashing and photography hobby:

Now then... this is already an unforgivably long-winded and self-indulgent thread, and I haven't even shared any photos of my kitbashes yet. We'll call this adequate context, then, shall we?

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
There are a number of characters I return to again and again in my photos, including some, like G.I. Joe Renegades Tunnel Rat and Pursuit of Cobra Recondo, that I have not customized in any way.

But if I had to select the "star" of my collection and my photos and the vague fictional universe I have unfolding in my head whenever I pick up a G.I. Joe action figure, it would be an absurdly simple and unassuming kitbash of an original character I call William Winchester.

Featuring a G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra two-pack Gung Ho body and a G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary Dr. Mindbender head, William Winchester is my attempt at a late-1800s safari adventurer/missionary/hunter character.

Po Campo by Geek Creek, on Flickr

The title “Po Campoâ€￾ is taken from Larry McMurtry’s brilliant, Pulitzer-winning novel, Lonesome Dove, which features a cook named Po Campo who accompanies the Hat Creek outfit on their epic cattle drive from Texas to Montana, refusing all the way to ride a horse because he feels it is undignified for the rider and the animal.

I have had the Rise of Cobra Pit playset for three or four years, and this is the only photo I have taken of it. If it wasn’t such a nightmare to ship I’d sell it.

Powder Horn by Geek Creek, on Flickr

The “powder hornâ€￾ is a Toy Biz Lord of the Rings accessory; it would take a large critter to supply such a horn, but for my purposes, it is indeed a powder horn; as you’ll soon see, Winchester has run afoul of (and befriended) a number of strange creatures.

The Island of Procrustus by Geek Creek, on Flickr

Procrustus, for example…

Burial Ground of the Titans by Geek Creek, on Flickr

The skulls are part of a cheap ashtray I purchased in Pakistan when I was teaching overseas.

New Model by Geek Creek, on Flickr

This lovely steampunk backpack was crafted for me by Django, who felt (correctly) that William Winchester was missing a little something… specifically a steampunk backpack. (Ridiculously, I cannot seem to locate any photos of Winchester wearing the backpack.)

Kerium by Geek Creek, on Flickr

This red item broke off of some cheap toy or costume jewelry or something belonging to my daughter. It immediately made me think of Bravestarr (“because everything doesâ€￾ –Joss Whedon).

Power of Prayer by Geek Creek, on Flickr

I am not really certain whether Winchester is a missionary, but he carries a cross in nearly every portrait. I suspect he is an atheist who carries the cross to hedge his bets, perhaps after being attacked by something particularly horrific.

Remnants by Geek Creek, on Flickr

The setting here is an extinct volcano in the Horn of Africa, where I lived for two years.

William Winchester by Geek Creek, on Flickr

I miss this garden (also in Africa).

King Solomon's Mines by Geek Creek, on Flickr

Same garden. I hadn’t decided on a name for Winchester yet, hence the purposely generic title. (King Solomon's Mines is of course another inspiration for my hobby, as is Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill's series of graphic novels, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, without which I would not be aware of Allan Quatermain).

Industrial Revolution by Geek Creek, on Flickr

From my caption at Flickr: “The premise: William Winchester and his comrade are making their way through a jungle in search of some idol or another, when suddenly giant husks of ancient machinery erupt from the soil and envelop them.â€￾

(In reality, I placed the figures beneath a rusted car for this photo).

Enkidu by Geek Creek, on Flickr

Here is William Winchester with his good friend, Babel; Winchester decided on “Babelâ€￾ for the cat’s name after it spoke to him for the first time; Winchester was a bit nonplussed to find that a giant green cat from another universe would happen to speak English. (I also like that I unwittingly mimicked the sound of the cat’s true name; from Battle Cat to Babel Cat).

Finally, just for giggles, I produced the "vintage" William Winchester figure:

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
For those who haven't seen it before, this is Schleich's Animal Nursery. I added the props and furniture, but the actual house is not modified in any way.

Here are some earlier photos of the decorations and whatnot:

Thanks again to my fellow Adventure Team enthusiasts on the HISS Tank forum, heymilt and ltfalcon, who inspired me to purchase the Schleich Animal Nursery to use as an Adventure Team headquarters.

Their awesome setups can be seen here:

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-j...910-my-jungle-outpost-aka-schleich-thing.html

http://www.hisstank.com/forum/g-i-j...8199-adding-stuff-adventure-team-outpost.html

As for Badlands, you'll be seeing more of him soon.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Hey Monte - loved seeing your no paint kitbashes. Glad to see your work on another site - welcome to the 118th.

Now I think I'll throw down on that nursery on Amazon...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup, his and those other two fellas are what prompted me to want a Schleich nursery. Finally found one sehr cheap. I think I can out-do all three of y'all on decorating it, though. ;) :D

I know these are LBCs (kitbash is a term I reserve for 1:6 scale. I'm weird like that), but I'd like to see how much more period "correct" Winchester would look with RoC Destro thighs, Renegades/Ultimate SS calves and Para Viper feet.

Glad to see you here, now I won't need to mingle with those undesirables as often.

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
Thanks for the welcome, everybody!

Inspired by Planetary? Hell yes!

The ending kind of fizzled out a bit for me and felt rather contrived, but yeah, Planetary is the great superhero comic of the century so far, along with Promethea (and the aforementioned League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, although I don't tend to think of it as a superhero series). My photos at their best can only ever be a pale imitation of that badass comic book.

I'd like to see how much more period "correct" Winchester would look with RoC Destro thighs, Renegades/Ultimate SS calves and Para Viper feet.

Now I would, too, but alas, I don't paint, so it will never happen.

Glad to see you here, now I won't need to mingle with those undesirables as often.

I sensed some tension between the 1/18th and HISS Tank based on another comment I read here. But I never tried to find out why there's a Flickr group called I Hate JoeDios, and I guess I don't need to know why some people hate the Tank.

Hell, if JoeBattlelines was still as active as it was circa 2007, I'd probably be limiting my internet time to JBL still. I loved that place.

Now I think I'll throw down on that nursery on Amazon...

I doubt you'll regret it. It would be ten times better if it was even slightly taller and larger (and I would kill many cute puppies for it to have two rooms rather than one), but it's still damn fun.

Monte! Great to see you over here mate!

Likewise, bro! I saw your Masters of the Universe thread here at the 1/18th. Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to read through the whole thing again.

Thanks again, guys!

See my next post for some Badlands photos!

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
This here is Badlands, who is every bit as much the star of my Adventure Team universe as William Winchester:

This guy started as a Sigma 6 custom my friend Bill put together:

Bill lurks on the Joe Battlelines forums, and he is an active force on at least one MiniMates forum, as well:

JoeBattlelines • View topic - Prowlar's Customs Archive

Prowl-Ar's Customs - Minimate Multiverse

I was enamored with Bill's original character, Badlands, so I asked him to make one for me, and when I finally, reluctantly started collecting the small-scale Joes again after years of contented Sigma 6 fun, I knew I wanted to recreate Badlands.

My first attempt was a Lanard kitbash, before I even started collecting small Joes:

Once Rise of Cobra got me addicted to this scale, I knew Outback’s head was the clear choice, but I held off on painting the hair for so long that Badlands simply became a redhead to me, at least for a while.

Off to the Badlands by Geek Creek, on Flickr

How to Get Ahead in Counterterrorism by Geek Creek, on Flickr

My Other Car is a Walking Stick by Geek Creek, on Flickr

But he's no longer a redhead, as you saw in the Adventure Team HQ photos. Now he's a blond... and he's also the most stupidly expensive kitbash I've ever created; G.I. Joe Collector Club Topside head ($40, although I sold the body for $15) plus Agent Mouse body ($20 for the three-pack that includes Agent Mouse).

(Since the Topside head much more closely resembles the Sigma 6 version of Badlands my friend Bill created, the redheaded Badlands is simply Outback once again. In case you were losing sleep wondering about that.)

Last edited:

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
Assorted members of the cast of Maps and Machetes... or those that qualify as LBCs/kitbashes, anyway:

John Rawlins, an adventurer in the 1940s who stumbles upon an alien staff that gives him strange armor and superhuman strength, after which he becomes known as John Ra:

Albert M. Pine:

Southpaw:

Lonzo Wilkinson:

The Gray Ghost:

Gnawgahyde:

Tree Frog:

More in the next post.

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
And these are the last for now; by focusing only on my Adventure Team characters, I hope to keep this thread somewhat more streamlined than its predecessor at the HISS Tank forum, which is currently 80-some pages long.

Rick Brant:

New Recruit by Geek Creek, on Flickr

And if you'll forgive me one photo of figures that aren't customized in any way, here are Rick's good friends, Jon Quest and Hadji Singh:

DeFronzo:

The Red Shadow, urban vigilante turned Adventure Team consultant (circa 1938):

Last edited:

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
Thank you, Keenan, MMorelock66 and The Willoughbian!

How tall is that Treebeard figure?

He is roughly sixteen inches tall at his tallest point. Be careful if you're thinking of getting one, though, 'cause there is also a much smaller one; pay attention to the description in any auctions you pursue.

Also, I am putting together a trade with Triant at the HISS Tank forum (maybe he's here, too; I of course have no idea which people frequent both boards), and along the way I got to see that stunning city scene you created for him. You sir are very talented!

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
So Much Win!!!

Loving the photos and dios. This is the first time I'm seeing 99% of this stuff so I'm just blown away.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
I was at the park this weekend enjoying WWII days, and also scouting out and taking pics for my son's Bday party next weekend. I found a cool area in the old part of the park that reminded me of some of your pics Monte, lol... I was telling my wife about and and was like.. "Man, I wish I brought a GI Joe", lol.. sadly, all I had was a minecraft cube as it's a minecraft themed party..

:D Next time, I'm sneaking a Joe or two in my pocket!!!

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
Aw man, that's a gorgeous backdrop! I particularly love the moss. I am grateful that I have a good setting nearby, but it's all brown and rocky, and sometimes I want some good greenery so bad it drives me nuts.

If you do photograph some Joes outdoors sometime soon, I'd love to see the results!

Meanwhile, my Adventure Team crew finally received an important member they've been awaiting for a long, long time:

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
Thanks, Eddie!

...did you do some detail paint work to him?...his shirt looks especially good

It's weird, but I could swear the shirt looked normal when I first got him, and yet, when I was shooting him, it seemed to have become discolored in places. It's got, like, dark brown streaks. Kinda looks cool, but it's weird.

But no, man, I don't paint at all.

DarkWynter

Plastic Pimp
Mar 2, 2013
So much about this is gold. Little things like the vw in the pic background and that treebeard.......pure picture win. I also like the theme and setting.......big fan of the pulp feeling this has.

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
If you ever start a thread on picture tutorial basics........I would subscribe :)

You sir are too kind. No false modesty: I wouldn't be able to tell you what to do 'cause I have no idea what I'm doing! This is especially true now that I have slowly rubbed all the icons and such off the dials on my camera; I've gone from not knowing what my chosen settings mean to literally having no idea what they even are!

Malcolm Gladwell suggests that 10,000 repetitions are required for mastery of a given subject or craft. While I wouldn't call myself a master, I'm probably at least halfway to that number of toy photos, and for the first two or three years at least, I was terrible.

Here's one from my first shoot:

Since that embarrassing photo I have just goofed around with settings until I found a look I like, and I essentially never deviate from those settings; my nine-year-old daughter can take a decent photo with my settings.

Keep in mind, too, that I remain completely inept when it comes to indoor photography. I look at Ed Speir's indoor toy photos and want to weep with envy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25335276@N02/

GI Joe Retaliation - Kwinn by Ed Speir IV, on Flickr

Masters of the Universe Classics - Castaspella by Ed Speir IV, on Flickr

...and yet he's assured me he has no more sense than I do of what his camera's settings and tools actually mean or do.

Basically, then: practice practice practice. :)

And if you like my edits, these sites are your friend:

http://www.picmonkey.com

http://pixlr.com/express/

The former charges for some of its tools. Pixlr is completely free.

They're all I use; I don't know a thing about PhotoShop.

Spend a couple hours exploring those two sites. It changed my hobby completely. Totally inviting, idiot-proof stuff.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Man this is so inspiring, the pictures, kitbashes, accessories, the hut....please PLEASE post more pictures when you get/take them!

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com