Godzilla

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
With the upcoming Godzilla reboot movie being filmed and a kick ass 6" figure that was just released I'm on a Godzilla high! Anybody else fans of the big beast?

Its scale is just about 1:500 (if they followed the 80 meter height) he would be 77 meters tall

And if you haven't heard about these figures yet check em out here:

S.H Monster Arts Godzilla

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=BAN13898&mode=retail

http://tamashii.jp/special/shma/index.html

29 points of articulation!

So how much would this fine 6" specimen of plastic set you back?

$65.99 is what BBTS has it listed as. I should be getting mine the first week of December. :)

At about 1:500 scale he fits nicely with the Herpa line of miniatures. They mostly specialize in aircraft in this scale, but the detail is amazing. Aircraft to airport and even residential housing, it seems the perfect place to let big G raise some hell with his upcoming friends.

Slated for future release is Mecha Godzilla and Space Godzilla

http://www.herpa.de/herpa_cms/(S(bz...t.aspx?lang=en-GB&rbid=193&art=0&pg=1&print=0

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
^ I'm sorry to say... I actually liked it.

I thought it was pretty funny that before its release the people at Toho really liked the cg godzilla and said thats the way it should have looked all along. After the release and the critics and fans voiced their opinions Toho denied ever saying that.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
New design, cg... I only hope it goes over better than the last American take on it

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
what? what was wrong with the one with Mathew Broderick?

:D

^ I'm sorry to say... I actually liked it.

I thought it was pretty funny that before its release the people at Toho really liked the cg godzilla and said thats the way it should have looked all along. After the release and the critics and fans voiced their opinions Toho denied ever saying that.

I liked it too, while it was big Godzilla. Baby-Godzillas-by-way-of-Jurassic-Park I could've done without.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Hmm, not too many Gojira fans in the house. Damn! I was going to start a fan club here... but now it would just seem like throwing a party with root beer, playing D&D with your sister and sleeping with your cousin. Now where's the fun in that!?

Last edited:

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Did any body notice that the 1998 bomb was more of a remake of the 1953 movie Them?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Hmm, not too many Gojira fans in the house. Damn! I was going to start a fan club here... but now it would just seem like throwing a party with root beer, playing D&D with your sister and sleeping with your cousin. Now where's the fun in that!?

Depends on the state you live in. That could be a Friday night in some areas! :eek:

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I used to be a real Gojira nut back in the '80s and '90s. I had a few action figures and two scale models of Big G, and bootleg VHS copies of all the movies.
Not so much these days.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
I was a fan back in the 80's too then moved on. After seeing the new 6" figure and the possible redesign for the movie I think my interest has rekindled a bit.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
(updated 1st post)

Well, looks like I might be hooked on 1:450 scale shit as well as the 1:18th. They have this micro scale available in whats called "T-gauge" for micro trains that actually run... and you can probably see where I'm going with this. For this new 6"godzilla this scale is pretty damn close. Any-who, I just had to share

http://www.t-gauge.net/available.htm

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Well, looks like I might be hooked on 1:450 scale shit as well as the 1:18th. They have this micro scale available in whats called "T-gauge" for micro trains that actually run... and you can probably see where I'm going with this. For this new 6"godzilla this scale is pretty damn close. Any-who, I just had to share

http://www.t-gauge.net/available.htm

1:450 First Carrier Division (The Akagi And Kaga until Midway) with Gojira at sea dio, stat!

Seriously, a Gojira and Pacific Fleet battle dio would be fucking awesome.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Now that would make a wicked cool dio pick, godzilla just going nuts through a train.

No shit! I might have to do a dio with this pic of G using a train for a toothpick. lol

off topic, I love your sig! Nice!

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
1:450 First Carrier Division (The Akagi And Kaga until Midway) with Gojira at sea dio, stat!

Seriously, a Gojira and Pacific Fleet battle dio would be fucking awesome.

I was thinking of using the Musashi and Yamato for one, but I would love to find a Nimitz class in 1:450 but so far google only shows the USS Lexington in that scale from the U.S. military

Updated 1st post with more pics of the 6" godzilla

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I was thinking the Japanese battleships would work, too, if a 1:450 Iowa class fast battleship can't be sourced.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Update: its out and almost a perfect 1:500 @ 77 meters

The SH monster arts godzilla should be available any day now (preordered through bbts) and as I mentioned before... pretty close to the 1:450 scale. Its the 90's Godzilla being released (which is supposed to be over 100m tall), but an 80m Godzilla (millenium) would be 7" in 1:450 scale so just less than 1 inch shy for it being "perfect with "t" gauge train sets. Close enough for me! Can't wait to get my hands on these. Announced so far are Godzilla (90's), mecha godzilla 2 (has a garuda upgrade through effects pack) and space godzilla was just announced. I'll be sure to go LED crazy as the t-gauge sets have led buildings, street lights and the trains are too.

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Yeah, I was thinking the Japanese battleships would work, too, if a 1:450 Iowa class fast battleship can't be sourced.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/cgi-bin/s8.cgi?cat_s=SBB&tag0_i=44&tag1_i=506&tag4_i=795

They have listed the USS Missouri, HMS Vanguard and the Musashi/ Yamato but so far these are the only 1:450 ships i've found

But, I did find a nimitz at 1:500 which is to this godzilla scale... but how off would a 1:500 carrier look in a bay with a town of 1:450?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tsm/tsm05201.htm

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(

no idea how i've missed this thread, but that post was awesome!

can't wait to see your dio Akunin...i'm wanting to do something similar with Devastator destroying a model railroad city

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
no idea how i've missed this thread, but that post was awesome!

can't wait to see your dio Akunin...i'm wanting to do something similar with Devastator destroying a model railroad city

Thanks Eddie! :) I'm having way too much fun playing with the idea of finally having a godzilla that can actually pose! (bbts has them in! woohoo!)

Well I keep going back and forth between getting 1:450 stuff (which puts the godzilla at 68 meters) but they have a electric train in that scale which would be awesome... or go with 1:500 (G is 76 meters) that has a ton more available for miniatures (London airport anyone?) but then would be just a static dio. So kinda surfing the web looking while my arm heals (typing one handed sucks!! 50wpm down to.. 6?)

An idea of what a 1:500 scale airport with lights can look like

http://www.herpa.de/collect/(S(ire4...=1&video=B48142F4-C70D-4AAB-9DA1-E73DD914FFF0

Last edited:

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
How much difference is there in 1:450 and 1:500. Would it be that noticiable if you used the train with the 1:500 stuff. maybe put it up on a rail to raise it and maybe hide the scale difference more.

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
How much difference is there in 1:450 and 1:500. Would it be that noticiable if you used the train with the 1:500 stuff. maybe put it up on a rail to raise it and maybe hide the scale difference more.

not sure.. I am thinking of fudging it a bit and using the trains anyway... then using buildings and people in a 1:500. if the trains the only thing out of scale i don't think it will be too bad and elevating it like you said i'm sure would help.

Its official, I have some kind of miniature sickness

Last edited:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Ok, now I want that Gorjira. I have a Bismark and HMS Hood to build near to that scale... THAT would be an interesting dio!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
with all thats available, i say go 1:500...you don't want your creativity held back due to lack of product...either use the smaller train or just go w/o...

post some pics of the actual 1:500 products if you have any...

Last edited:

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
Tempting… why does it have to be so close to Christmas! I have other stuff I need to buy for people!

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
with all thats available, i say go 1:500...you don't want your creativity held back due to lack of product...either use the smaller train or just go w/o...

post some pics of the actual 1:500 products if you have any...

Got some cooking! None are mine... yet, but they will be! Be posting quite a few tonight.

Tempting… why does it have to be so close to Christmas! I have other stuff I need to buy for people!

You always have to look out for yourself first.... the rest falls into place! ok, not really, I have a lot of people that come before Ido! I'm planning a project for the tax return so pre-money shopping!

Not having any luck with 1:500 submarines or destroyers (modern, but I might go old school) anyone know of a good customizer, looking for a seawolf sub (1:500) about 8" long or if you know what looks close enough let me know!

Gonna be updating the 1st post to reflect recent discoveries

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
I thought I would take a second to put stuff in perspective as far as Godzilla goes to those who don't follow it.
Since its introduction in 1954 they have made 3 different sizes of Godzilla.
1954-1975- 50 meters tall (164')
1984-1989- 80 meters tall (262')
2000-2004- 80 meters tall (262')
1991-1995- 100 meters tall (328')

Even amongst fans, few agree on an "actual" height.

For the S.H. Monsters Art Godzilla I've shown is based on the 1994 model (100meters) just a little over 6" tall. That scale would be about 1:656. Due to his fluctuating size only a Godzilla superfreak could tell the difference between the era's so though this godzilla is from the 90's I'm going to scale him at about the 80meter mark reflecting the most recent movies. At 80 meters in the 1:500 scale it would put the model at 6.3" and this guy is just short of that. The 1:500 scale also provides a vast amount of compatible sizes of model providers.

From the fanciful:

To the more realistic:

1:500 Nimitz

To the downright overwhelming:

yup LED's everywhere!

There are a ton of ship models in the 1:700 scale but that would make Godzilla (6") appear even larger than his extreme 100meters (106.8iskmeters) but still look very much at home in a water diorama. Lots to choose from in this scale, WW2 to modern warships including Nimitz class carriers to Seawolf subs

So those are my plans, using the 1:500 for ground/coast diorama and using the1:700 ships for an ocean diorama

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Oooh. That's good info.

Why the height changes?

As I recall His height increased due to the modernizing of the japanese landscape, taller buildings need a bigger monster to look more intimidating, wouldn't want a modern skyscraper falling and squishing the main character! ;)

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Pics of the figures in production so far:

Godzilla- available now

Mecha Godzilla(2)- available December 2011 Die-cast!! (how much of it is I'm unsure of)

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
Space Godzilla- available March 2012

The accessory packs cost almost as much as the figures... not cheap $63.99! But then, shop around in the miniatures department and smaller doesn't always mean cheaper!

Last edited:

Akunin

Snow Bunny
Apr 7, 2011
A train (electric!) in 1:450 scale:

So now for a real size shocker. So just how big would a person be in 1:500 scale?

Yeah thats a penny. :) and they dont come painted

Last edited:

SR_501

Walfisch.
Mar 14, 2011
God Dammit. I used to love Godzilla as a Kid, Listening to Blue Oyster Cult Godzilla and now this! I may have to get Zilla himself.... Maybe Space Godzilla too.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A train (electric!) in 1:450 scale:

So now for a real size shocker. So just how big would a person be in 1:500 scale?

Yeah thats a penny. :) and they dont come painted

good gawd!!...thats frig'n crazy!!...that anyone could even sculpt something so small..i mean, they actually have seperate legs, on something thinner than a grain of rice...my eyes would explode trying to paint them...

that tiny train, actually functioning, is amazing...

whats a row of those 6 people cost?