Hasbro, I So Hate You...& Why Other Scales SUCK

PFunk

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
One of the things that has been irritating the crap out of me here lately is that Hasbro is showing some true flashes of genius when it comes to deciding which figures to bring back from the dead and just how to do it. There are some of the coolest things I've ever seen in figures coming up this year...

...but, vehicles? Sheesh. Are you kidding me? OK, the Skystriker is a hellaciously awesome rebuild and I'm getting one for me and one for my son, but that's just about the extent. We see Star Wars getting all these cool vehicles (and I realize that as action figure marques go, it's bigger than GI Joe) and there are companies making limited production runs of 1:18 military vehicles that go for about a quarter of my month's take-home, but that's about it.

Where's the Tomahawk? Where's a REAL Pit playset? Where's a REAL Dragonfly attack helo instead of that tiny POS we got?

I've been experimenting with customizing some common vehicles in order to get some decent vehicles, like the ERTL John Deere Chevy pickup and the Bruder Jeep Wrangler. Both would make excellent vehicles, except for one little problem...they're 1:16 scale and the figures look like someone's kid sister is behind the wheel.

I wish that the diecast vehicle makers would make their products fit the figures. I keep hoping some of those stout diecast Hummers would accomodate figures, but I've yet to find one that works.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
One of the things that has been irritating the crap out of me here lately is that Hasbro is showing some true flashes of genius when it comes to deciding which figures to bring back from the dead and just how to do it. There are some of the coolest things I've ever seen in figures coming up this year...

...but, vehicles? Sheesh. Are you kidding me? OK, the Skystriker is a hellaciously awesome rebuild and I'm getting one for me and one for my son, but that's just about the extent. We see Star Wars getting all these cool vehicles (and I realize that as action figure marques go, it's bigger than GI Joe) and there are companies making limited production runs of 1:18 military vehicles that go for about a quarter of my month's take-home, but that's about it.

Where's the Tomahawk? Where's a REAL Pit playset? Where's a REAL Dragonfly attack helo instead of that tiny POS we got?

I've been experimenting with customizing some common vehicles in order to get some decent vehicles, like the ERTL John Deere Chevy pickup and the Bruder Jeep Wrangler. Both would make excellent vehicles, except for one little problem...they're 1:16 scale and the figures look like someone's kid sister is behind the wheel.

I wish that the diecast vehicle makers would make their products fit the figures. I keep hoping some of those stout diecast Hummers would accomodate figures, but I've yet to find one that works.

Greetings, friend.

The problem is that GI Joe does not have the same cult following that Star Wars toys have. However, that said, K-Tiger and many of us have noticed that Star Wars toys tend to end up in the "Crap Nobody Wants" section quite frequently and in LARGE numbers.

Soooooooooooo, I am not quite sure how to provide some light at the end of the tunnel.

Throw in the fact that many families, companies, stores and just about anyone who has 2 pennies to rub together are severely impacted by the 0bama depression, and you will subsequently see the connection between diminished toy sales and subsequently diminished toy availability.

Until the Jackhole in Chief "takes his boot off the throat" of privately owned businesses, you will continue to see high unemployment numbers, high prices and a total lack of availability of the stuff we know and appreciate.

One of the other things not mentioned is the fact that the fools who made the "Rise of Cobra" disaster were all ardent Obamanistas.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
Star Wars toys tend to end up in the "Crap Nobody Wants" section quite frequently and in LARGE numbers.

Ah yes, the isle of misfit toys.

One of the other things not mentioned is the fact that the fools who made the "Rise of Cobra" disaster were all ardent Obamanistas.

Bastards raped my childhood with that multinational PC BS!!

PFunk

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
I've made my peace with having to buy most of the action figures I like online. I don't have a problem with it because it saves me gas and time hunting for it in town.

However, I guess I'm just going to have to make my peace with fabbing my own vehicles for me and my son.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The long and short is that the world is very different in all facets to the one that existed in 1986.

I'll also say never get a JSI F-14. It'll dick slap the shit out of the Skystriker, and by extension every other Joe vehicle. 21st's UH-1C ruined me on Hasbro vehicles looong ago. In fact i'd say there's no reason to own Hasbro vehicles, especially members on this site (HT Bbi Thread veteranos, you know who you are), unless they go with an ARAH collection.

Still don't know why Hasbro can't manage PTE-level items.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
In fact i'd say there's no reason to own Hasbro vehicles, especially members on this site (HT Bbi Thread veteranos, you know who you are), unless they go with an ARAH collection.

so true...they just pale in comparison...only ones i own and display any longer are ones that don't have a good real world counterpart...Trouble Bubble for example

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
so true...they just pale in comparison...only ones i own and display any longer are ones that don't have a good real world counterpart...Trouble Bubble for example

I'm still fairly convinced you could make a one-man recon helicopter out of that thing.

xhairs

odd man out !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 15, 2011
blasdell ny
photobucket.com
Greetings, friend.

The problem is that GI Joe does not have the same cult following that Star Wars toys have. However, that said, K-Tiger and many of us have noticed that Star Wars toys tend to end up in the "Crap Nobody Wants" section quite frequently and in LARGE numbers.

Soooooooooooo, I am not quite sure how to provide some light at the end of the tunnel.

Throw in the fact that many families, companies, stores and just about anyone who has 2 pennies to rub together are severely impacted by the 0bama depression, and you will subsequently see the connection between diminished toy sales and subsequently diminished toy availability.

Until the Jackhole in Chief "takes his boot off the throat" of privately owned businesses, you will continue to see high unemployment numbers, high prices and a total lack of availability of the stuff we know and appreciate.

ya when the roc pit failed to sell it killed any chances of us getting big vehicles agin where lucky to get what we are getting. let face it we the fans are keeping the line a float.

they had a chance to make joe huge with Roc and blew it big time as all roc did was make joe look like a joke the toys sucked it split the fans. then they had the new toon that sucked and now is gone for joe 2 now they have one last shot at making joe big with roc 2.

the problem is that ppl like me who hated roc might not want to waste are time to go see it. so they need to step up there game and make the movie in to a killer movie and not a joke of a film.

then you had walmart can the line for a while and it is just getting back in to the stores and HTS sucks at getting and keeping stuff in stock.so every time hasbro does something great they shoot them selves in the foot and puts the line 3steps back.

look we had resolute and that was pumped up by hasbro and could of been the best thing ever if they had more time to work on it. then they had the movie and why res got short changed. the movie was just crap in every way. then we got renegades and could of made it killer but they did the same shit with the movie and changed shit and made it in to the Ateam.

so untill hasbro can make something worth it we are stuck with no big play sets and repaints of existing vehicles with maybe 1 or 2 new ones. they need to think like the 80s to get back to the lime light. for the toon they need to forget the start of the team and just do flash backs of the team. then do what they did in the 80s about how they had ppl added to the team. till then we are stuck carrying the line and not getting everything we wanted.

Last edited:

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah ther joe vehicles that are passable are few and far between.

I suppose the old-school VAMP could work as a utility jeep, I still think the original Mauler is close to the right size for the actual paradropped tank it was based on, and probably a few other OG joe things that were close to real-world size.

As for the new stuff.. it's almost all a wash as far as I'm concerned. Just waste of space.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Hasbro KNEW the pit wouldn't sell. but paramount's marketing pretty much made them make the crappy thing.

The Pit was and is in no way a toy of today's imagination/play world. There are literally hundreds of different designs they could have went with or even created that would have sold.

Say what you will, but a remolded Flagg would have out sold that thing. They could have left off some things, added their electronics and lights they wanted and still sold a shit ton. Far more than the Pit did.

I have no idea why to this day they cannot make a decent scaled vehicle. The new VTOL fighter is utter crap and HT fanbois are having orgasms over the piece of shit. "what it lacks in size makes up in wing span" what? WHAT? they are literally saying it's not the size of the dick it's how you use it. bunch of small dicks.

Like Ktiger said, when 21st came out with the Hog, OMG, that thing was a Beaut! a simple, fantastic piece of machinery. yet, Hasbro could not make something like that for that price with all their factories? The they come out with the Super Cobra. what the hell Hasbro?

"But we know fans, and fans want smaller vehicles"

yeah, well the "fans" you are talking about are fucking stupid.

sorry about the rant. pain pills kicked in, feeling loopy.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Yeah, NSA hit the point I was thinking in my head as I read down the page. The VAMP holds up well IMO 1) because it was different enough in '82 that it doesn't feel so outdated and 2) it's utility enough to still be in use. That being said, it's probably not my first choice for a fast attack jeep, but it still "works". The mauler too given it's small, lightweight, experimental roots. But the more realistic stuff from the early eras (MOBAT,Dragonfly) just seem obsolete, and the goofy stuff from the later years... just looks goofier with age.

Still, I don't know why the few vehicles they do put out these days aren't better. That new VAMP looks like it was sculpted by Fisher-Price. The new cobra chopper just needs to be increased in size by 3x in all directions...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ya know what, if you pair that VTOL with the Data-Viper you get a pretty fair UAV/pilot goin' on.

Oh, that's right you can't, because the D-V is dead.

I never expct Hasbro to do true scale aircraft, but they could be doing better than they are.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
Ya know what, if you pair that VTOL with the Data-Viper you get a pretty fair UAV/pilot goin' on.

Oh, that's right you can't, because the D-V is dead.

I never expct Hasbro to do true scale aircraft, but they could be doing better than they are.

yet The Corps manage to do better than them to a degree as does PTE and even cheaper.

BTW, that HISS assault scout thing? what the fuck is that? that thing is so stupid. looks like they just removed the tank part of a hiss, dropped a figure in the treads and called it a vehicle.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
vehicle to tow the Black Dragon out to the flight line? :D

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
"But we know fans, and fans want smaller vehicles"

yeah, well the "fans" you are talking about are fucking stupid..

the fans they are talking about don't have any money...they need to stop pandering to kids who, for the most part, could give a sh!t about toys...

PFunk

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
No, no, you're absolutely right. The smaller vehicles are 'safe', they don't require much to make. Larger stuff is more of an investment and Star Wars gets larger stuff because it has the marque, the name recognition.

I just purchased a 21st-Century Hummer for $30 with shipping, I'd like to have another one if I can find it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bbi and 21st Hummers shouldn't be hard to find.

You new guys are gonna be pissed to hear that i remember when Bbi OH-58Ds and MH-6s were on TrU shelves at the 19.99-24.99 price point, Cheowth Scorpions (DPV/FAV) and Ranger enduros for even less.

What'll that get you from Hasbro?

Hell, even at 35 bucks online the MH-6 is better than anything H is shipping.