Iron Man 3

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Saw these figures at Target today..

Holy fuck they are seriously as bad in person as I had feared they'd be.

The "basic" $5.99 figures are as bad or worse than the Dark Knight Rises figures. As a static figure I guess they'd be okay, but they have such limited articulation that's all they'd be good for.

The "deluxe" $10.99 figures.. the ones you can assemble or whatever.. gay as shit. Holy balls bad. They are STILL missing crucial articulation. You put the damn things together and still have less detail and features than IM2 figures.

I hate to think this is where the Joe line is going, but the Retaliation drivers are a worrying sign.

Not a single IM3 item I'll be getting. I at least bought a few IM2 figures (Mostly the Mk.1 figures).

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
It's going to be fun walking into Walmarts in 2015 and still seeing them on the pegs *sigh*

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Who the hell is the baddie in this one? Does he even get a fucking figure?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ah. I can't imagine him having a cool figure even if the line was well articulated.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
A letter from Hasbro to "the fans"

Dear Fans of the 3- 3/4 to 4" scale figures;

We told you to buy those dam IM2 toys! They aren't so bad now? Are they?

Love,
Hasbro

Articulation wise? No, no, they weren't.

Then again, it was the same figure with different paint jobs. Nobody wanted Skittles Iron Man figures.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
I think the IM3 Marvel Legends (oddly not actually branded as IM3, just "Iron Man Marvel Legends") look pretty good. The bleeding edge IM is a new sculpt and looks good. The other two in the first wave are repaints. But the BAF is iron monger and looks pretty cool.

I saw the pegs for these at Target this morning, just waiting for the reset over the weekend I guess.

Sidenote, as I pulled up to target after dropping my kid off at school, I realized that it was another 5 minutes until they opened. There were two other cars there, one with a big "Hot Wheels" sticker on his back window. When the lights flipped on in the store, two older fat guys jumped out of their trucks like their asses were on fire. They ran in. Just for meanness, I shortcut through the clothing and came across the back main isle and beat them to the toy section. I don't give two shits about hotwheels, but they saw me beating them to the isle, and they mumbled to one another and gave me the stink-eye.

I've always heard about notoriously presumptuous, pushy, and ill-mannered hotwheels guys, but I'd never actually seen them in the wild. I wish I'd thought to take a picture. It was surreal, sad, and made me feel a little dirty just going to a neighboring toy isle, fearing that I would be associated with them.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
I think the IM3 Marvel Legends (oddly not actually branded as IM3, just "Iron Man Marvel Legends") look pretty good. The bleeding edge IM is a new sculpt and looks good. The other two in the first wave are repaints. But the BAF is iron monger and looks pretty cool.

I saw the pegs for these at Target this morning, just waiting for the reset over the weekend I guess.

Sidenote, as I pulled up to target after dropping my kid off at school, I realized that it was another 5 minutes until they opened. There were two other cars there, one with a big "Hot Wheels" sticker on his back window. When the lights flipped on in the store, two older fat guys jumped out of their trucks like their asses were on fire. They ran in. Just for meanness, I shortcut through the clothing and came across the back main isle and beat them to the toy section. I don't give two shits about hotwheels, but they saw me beating them to the isle, and they mumbled to one another and gave me the stink-eye.

I've always heard about notoriously presumptuous, pushy, and ill-mannered hotwheels guys, but I'd never actually seen them in the wild. I wish I'd thought to take a picture. It was surreal, sad, and made me feel a little dirty just going to a neighboring toy isle, fearing that I would be associated with them.

Kind of like bigfoot sightings...you hear people talk about it but until you see it yourself...

Nevermind even then you'd still be that dumbass watching the Squatch hunters show like they're actually going to see something.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I've seen Hotwheels collectors before. Pretty sad stuff.

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD

More signs of a move back to 6" figures on Hasbro's part.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Exactly. Maybe they'll make 6" joes in ML style (not S6 toon nonsense). Larger joes would be cool, but not at the expense of the 4" world we know and love. I've toyed with the idea of some custom ML Joes. It's on the to-do pile.

I guess they figure that since 4" stuff is breaking the $10 barrier, why not push closer to $20 and sell us 6" guys? Plus, the current toy managers seem quite averse to vehicles and playsets, so with 6", that's not even much of an issue. Problem solved.

The HW guys were creepy. Windowless van creepy. I assumed they only occupied larger metropolitan areas in other states. I had no idea they had migrated into my region. I really should alert the wildlife authorities, lest they breed and upset the delicate toy ecosystem.

The Ewokhunter

Crazyass Cracker
Mar 14, 2011
thingsatwistedewokwouldsay.blogspot.com
nevermind the fact that vehicles would become impossible to make and if they do make some, they would look retarded.

I can accept 6" for collectible purposes (packaging, alot more detail, etc) but making that scale as a mainline is suicide. not to mention, how could that be cost effective?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
How many years have we had to suffer walking into store isles to see an army of shitty Iron Man figures that waste a whole lot of space? I feel like half of my life has been spent burning my retinas on seeing the entire toy isle taken over with shitty, mediocre, and overpriced Marvel movie related figures that I don't want. I'm ready to scoop my eyeballs out with a spork!

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
To be fair, even IF they had just as much articulation as the previous movies figs, would many of us really want MORE Ironman figures in slightly different colors?...that's (almost) literally going to be the only character in the IM3 line anyway...

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
No. I never bought any of the IM2 Iron Men.. except for the Mk.I. I think at this point between the different lines we have MORE than enough. They should have used this line to expand the villains and other characters..

I'd accept a Pepper Potts figure..

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Here's some more IM3 toys...LEGO...spoilers abound though...

fogg might get his Rescue wish...and Ironman in space?...guardians of the galaxy connection?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=100080

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Hasbro and major retailers can't possibly be profiting from all these shitty action figures of the same characters can they?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Can't think so.. always saw a ton on IM2 figures on the pegs, but I guess SOMEONE had to be buying them sometimes.. but who knows.

If they can shave of $.20 per figure by dropping articulation.. the bean counters will be pleased.

nacho

"Big Guns"
Founder
Maybe, but I bought a shit-ton of IM2 figures. Pretty much at least one of each (and duplicates on lots of them) and hunted the hard-to-find later waves. I bought more than 20 kids from their target demographic. And now I'm going to buy none.

Assuming WM knows what makes the most profit (and it would be foolish to think anything to the contrary), one must conclude that the margins on these shitty figures must be astronomical.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I like marvel more than DC in general, but if I never see another IM, Cap, or Wolverine figure, I'll be a happy man. Sadly, it appears that the marvel movie train backed by poorly articulated figures that warm the pegs literally for years... it's full speed ahead with no end in sight.

Well, we know there's gonna be an Avengers 2, so Capt. and even MORE IM are a foregone conclusion.

Isn't Jackman signed up for another Wolverine or X-Men flick? Christ, how fucking terrible would a 5 PoA Wolverine be? I recall vividly the old ToyBiz ones from the '90s.......

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Isn't Jackman signed up for another Wolverine or X-Men flick? Christ, how fucking terrible would a 5 PoA Wolverine be? I recall vividly the old ToyBiz ones from the '90s.......

Two, actually - both the next Wolverine film and the X-men: First Class: Days of Future Past: How Many Subtitles Do We Need, Really? film.

I love that DoFP is going to have both McAvoy and Stewart as Xavier and Fassbender and McKellan as Magneto.

Fritzkrieg

Enlisted
Apr 20, 2011
I picked up an Iron Man 3 assemblers patriot yesterday, thought there might be some custom potential. Nope, it is a Happy Meal toy. I returned it today, not worth my $10. I buy my 3 year old son, fully articulated Clone Wars and Marvel figures. I buy the toys that my kids want, but I also like to know they are worth the money I pay for them. Between my personal collection, my sons, and my daughters My little ponies. I'd say I'm in the top 10 percent of Hasbro's customer base. This year they will be getting significantly less revenue from me. Hopefully, their policy of less for more will change the time Avengers 2 rolls out.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
More IM figures and less articulation all around and all for $10?

How can this possibly be working for them?

loadedtomcat

Magnificent Bastard
Mar 18, 2011
The Assemblers figures are ass. Plain and simple, which I found surprising since the Iron Man 2 and Avengers figures were actually pretty cool. I first got hooked when I got a War Machine in a fodder bag I won from one of you guys a little while back.

The Iron Patriot was a particularly huge let down, they look like the kind of bootleg shit you'd expect to find at a Mexican flea market. The Mark 42 was actually kind of alright for what I wanted it for (just to stand there by my computer at work) but it was a HUGE pain in the ass to find in the wild. I collect them in 1:18 and not 1/6, but this guy knows my pain:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqMPDYC6iSE

As far as the Assemblers line go, this dude is actually kind of generous. Again, they just pain old fashioned suck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54f8byhFC_M

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Looks like my 5 PoA Wolverine comment was prophetic.