Is there a way to strip powder coats?

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Is there a sensible way of stripping powder coats, without outsourcing it to a body shop? They're not likely to accept a die-cast model anyway.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
a mini sandblaster that dental offices use?...i think my wife said the one they use is called a micro etch

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Go down to Wally World and get a can of Aircraft Remover or some MEK ( I hear it works).

Be careful with MEK. The fumes will leave you 10 points lower on the I.Q. chart or kill you outright.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
Go down to Wally World and get a can of Aircraft Remover or some MEK ( I hear it works).

Be careful with MEK. The fumes will leave you 10 points lower on the I.Q. chart or kill you outright.

Yeah, I've been hearing a little bit about how powder coat removers are highly toxic. Right now I'm debating if I'll even have to remove the coat. I might end up simply buffing it smooth with fine-grit sandpaper, and then applying 3 or 4 coats of a new color with aerosol paint. In fact, I might not remove any of the coat at all, since it suits the jungle environment I want it to blend into.

It should look good with this sepia pallet version of the Jurassic Park logo.

It's gonna need brush guards. No idea how the hell to approach that.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
That's all you really need to do, scuff the surface.

There's always the trusty 3M stripping wheel, though.

YT1

NO LONGER A MEMBER
Mar 15, 2011
I used some kind of gel paint remover on the saucer sled I used for my Captain America shield. I thought the paint was a bitch to get off, turns out it was a powder coat. If you can avoid stripping I would recommend it, I use Duplicolor self etching primer and it sticks to everything.