joe apc-repainted canvas top

Wild weasel

needs killer whale parts!
Jun 9, 2011
Had an extra canvas top hanging around so I decided to paint it up. Just a simple 1 hour airbrush job, no shading or anything special. I wanted it to have like a field spray can applied camo instead of a normail larger splotchy-ish camo.

snakeling

not an actual member
Mar 15, 2011
I like it better than the OG one. I also wish I had one, why don't they rerelease this vehicle?

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
I like it better than the OG one. I also wish I had one, why don't they rerelease this vehicle?

They're pretty cheap on eBay. I've picked up several in good condition for under $10 each.

I love it, WW. I might have to invest in an airbrush... :D

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks! You should definately get one of these! One of my favorite arah vehicles and they aren't going for crazy money like most stuff.

They're pretty cheap on eBay. I've picked up several in good condition for under $10 each.

I love it, WW. I might have to invest in an airbrush... :D
Thanks! You should definately get an airbrush. If you have a hobby lobby by you print out a 40% off coupon for the store and get an Iwata HP-BCS. It costs like $95 after the discount, its usually like $160. Also, if you are airbrushing, by a $10 water trap from china or else you could screw up your paint job. Humidity enters the air compressor then can thin out the paint causing a run in all directions(doesn't add texture like spray paint, but looks bad). Although, when I lived in CA there wasn't enough humidity to affect it at all, so it does depend on your location.

I dig!!

It looks better
Thanks! Glad you like it!

Charade

Enlisted
Apr 12, 2011
....You should definately get an airbrush. If you have a hobby lobby by you print out a 40% off coupon for the store and get an Iwata HP-BCS...

Thanks for the info...I'm now seriously considering it, especially at 40% off. I've got a lot of vintage vehicles from various eBay lots that I'd love to repaint (hell, I want to re-paint the new PoC VAMP II!). The airbrush sounds like a great investment....

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks for the info...I'm now seriously considering it, especially at 40% off. I've got a lot of vintage vehicles from various eBay lots that I'd love to repaint (hell, I want to re-paint the new PoC VAMP II!). The airbrush sounds like a great investment....

well worth doing, go for it!

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Yea, this looks not only better but also something you could use in the field. The colors on the original are a just are too far apart for function.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Looks good man. Much better than the original paint.
Thanks!
Yea, this looks not only better but also something you could use in the field. The colors on the original are a just are too far apart for function.

Thats what I wanted because your right. The tan canvas cover would work well in the desert but with the green it sticks out and same with the jungle. This is much more sutable for real world operations, and I thik it'd even work in an urban enviroment when you look at this in person.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Wow that is sweet. Nice work on the camo!

We only have one here at the Slaymakers and my boys love it. My mother-in-law got a Joe lot at an auction. I let the boys take turns picking the figures, but have to share the vehicle. Also go some board game and a footlocker with trading cards? They are sealed and I didn't open them so I assume they are trading cards.

Sorry for the slight rabbit trail - gotta get a couple for my boys and try painting up the cover. I would love to get some of the Action Force ones...I think they are much sweet - a turret that can be manned and a very cool interior.

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
Thanks guys!

slaymaker: Don'tget an action force atc(no its not a typo)! You'll go buying more action force stuff after and regret it. For an atc(complete) you'll be paying $300 to $400. The aerial on it is pretty much non existent as well as the missile rack and missiles. I'm looking at getting one or two(why kid myself I really want a dozen or so) and they aren't uber expensive if they don't have the aerial or missile rack. Another plus is if you like the new figures the foot peg is the same size(although if your like me then the modern foot peg does nothing)

This is my z force stuff
http://forums.fighting118th.com/picture.php?albumid=47&pictureid=611

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
You got the base!?! It looks so cool in green!

I would love to get each of my boys the AF ATC. Or at least find a way to get the interior cast to replace to US ones and paint the canvas like you did.:D

Wild weasel

Jun 9, 2011
I love the base! I have items I can't even post on here because i'd get a lawsuit from hasbro and as cool as it is too have that stuff this z force hq has to be my favorite item in my collection, I love the thing. I got a great deal on it too.I won it from ebay UK for 71 gbp plus the guy said 25gbp for shipping to the states. sounded really cheap for the shipping but i didn't complain :) I had it a week and a half later and the shipping costed 55gbp! The guy only made 16(like $25) gbp, plus the ebay fee and everything. I felt bad but it was a great buy. The base is like dead mint and not many sell for as cheap as this one did either, it was a fluke auction

for the interiors: You couldn't cast them unless you had the equipment hasbro does. They would warp like you'd never believe! plus it wouldn't be economical, it'd cost a few hundred in the mold material and resin. It would probably work to vacuform styrene a few though!

Last edited:

BL4CK5H33P

99 probs - don't be #100
Jul 24, 2011
Kansas City, Missouri (misery)
Thanks! You should definately get an airbrush. If you have a hobby lobby by you print out a 40% off coupon for the store and get an Iwata HP-BCS. It costs like $95 after the discount, its usually like $160. Also, if you are airbrushing, by a $10 water trap from china or else you could screw up your paint job. Humidity enters the air compressor then can thin out the paint causing a run in all directions(doesn't add texture like spray paint, but looks bad). Although, when I lived in CA there wasn't enough humidity to affect it at all, so it does depend on your location.

You can also get CO2 cannisters as an "air" supply & do away w/ noisy compressors & humidity isn't an issue... & it's not hard or pricey to find places to refill them...