JoeCon 2011 Dial-Tone Review

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
No no, not that Dial-Tone. The less-sought-after-non-carded-but-still-fairly-rare Dial-Tone from JoeCon 2011. The one in the Special Mission: Brazil 2 deco. (The better one, if you ask me.) So why is that?

He's mostly a repaint of the ROC Zartan with 25th Airborne arms, 25th Dusty shoulder webgear, rifle from 25th Mainframe (which was always "borrowed" from Dial-Tone in the first place) and a new head and backpack which was shared with the single-carded/loose GI Joe Collector's Club Exclusive Dial-Tone.

The new head sculpt is pretty great, and the reason I got this figure (well, plus the backpack). After seeing pics of the carded figure and shots of him loose, which has spotty-at-best paint apps on the head, and a body combination that I was never too in love with, I decided to get this figure to make a hybrid with my previous custom Dial-Tone and forego the single-carded/loose release of Dial-Tone (although I have one coming from my Club membership, I'll be sending him to someone else, and he's already spoken for). $35 off eBay was the limit I was willing to pay, so I found him at that price and snagged it.

The head is not without fault... on mine, the paint is still a bit sloppy in areas—mostly at the hairline on the figure's "right" side (viewer's left) and the mustache paint mask is a bit square and doesn't quite match the sculpt—but you can really only tell this in person. From the photos, it doesn't even really show the issue. I plan to correct this after the review. The skin tone is also a lot closer to the other Hasbro "white" flesh tone, and not so "sunburnt" as what I have been able to detect from photos of the regular release. But compared to the other version, this head has great eyes, and the mustache looks much, much better. (For me, eyes are always an issue, and perhaps the biggest paint-app "fail" that Hasbro can make. The regular DT eyes look pretty rough depending on which figure you check out).

The modified backpack is also "better" on this figure, if you're for vintage accuracy. The single-carded one seems to be a more silvery gray, but I need one in-hand for comparison. From the photos I've seen though, I don't think it's the camera making the color change. This one is much lighter, and more accurate to the original vintage figure. The sculpt is nearly the same as the vintage figure, except it's made of a rubbery plastic this time around, has a new back peg to fit the 25th figures, and the mouth piece has been slightly resculpted. Otherwise, it appears to be a modified version of the same cast. (Pictures below in the second post for comparison... My vintage one had been modded for my custom, but you can get the idea.)

The body looks nothing like the original Special Mission: Brazil Dial-Tone, which isn't a bad thing. The new sculpt comes from the Rise of Cobra Zartan, and is a pretty solid figure base for the figure. The Dusty shoulder straps work well, and tie in with the other minor green highlights on the figure. With brown pants, green boots and belt, and a black long-sleeve top with a red undershirt, the original colors are there, but go together much more realistically as something someone may actually wear. And it's not like the single-carded/loose Club Dial-Tone is that accurate anyways... This is as close—if not a better torso and leg choice combination—than the Buzzer/Airborne combination used on the other figure.

The figure has few accessories, but what you'd expect as a "25th" rendering of the ARAH figure. Backpack with mic arm, rifle and stand (and removable webgear if you count that) but he doesn't need anything else. The rifle is the same as the one that came with the 25th Comic Pack Mainframe, which left some folks scratching their heads as to why it was included with Mainframe and not Dial-Tone... Was it a hint? I doubt it, just a coincidence, considering that the Club produced Dial-Tone, and not officially Hasbro (not in the main line, anyway).

Last edited:
Reactions: Monkeywrench

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
"What a jackass. Showing his own custom in the review."

I tend to do that, and apologies. I guess it could be partially self-serving and a grab for attention, but it's more or less for the customizers. Also, a good stand-in since I don't have the regular version in-hand yet. (And won't, at least for a few more weeks.) I do have a carded one coming from a kind collector, and I didn't have to pay the going eBay prices for it, but I'll be damned if I'm opening the carded one. For me, the fact that the carded figure is carded is the main draw of the figure... The figure himself leaves a lot to be desired. The only reason I can see someone getting it is that it's the only "regular" version of Dial-Tone and unless they're a customizer, then it's the best that they're going to get. Hasbro will probably never release their own Dial-Tone, for various reasons that I won't get into here (as it's a point that nerds tend to still disagree on, and it's a discussion in itself).

Which leads me to the customizer thing...

There are much better options for making your own (and probably better) vintage Dial-Tone, that require little paint. It may be hardest to find a 25th Crankcase to steal the torso from, which is what I did... But there are other torsos that you could use, and there are many customs out there. Below is my custom Dial-Tone with the SM:B2 Dial-Tone head and gear, and this is how Dial-Tone will remain in my collection, and I imagine that others may follow suit. I highly recommend it.

Now, that doesn't meant that the SM:B2 Dial-Tone is a bad figure. I'm an ARAH obsessive-compulsive dork, so accuracy is what I strive for in my "25th" re-imaginings. As a Dial-Tone, this figure is an excellent representation, it has a solid construction and he has a good head sculpt and gear. Paint apps are much crisper than the single-release exclusive figure, and if you have to get just one, I'd go for this one. A few more pictures below, followed by my final review breakdown...

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
AESTHETICS:

9 out of 10

The head has a little sloppiness on my figure, but like I've stated a few times, this is MUCH better than the other exclusive version that I've seen from photos (which is sadly how many folks will see either limited release of this figure). Other than the slight head paint issues, the rest of the figure is pretty great. Some folks may have issue with the pistol holster being in the front, and you can simply twist it to the side, although the from seam won't line up correctly with the shirt (but this is how the figure came, so I left it like that in the pics).

ARTICULATION:

8 out of 10

Really, the figure has a GREAT range of motion in the arms. He has the arms from Airborne, which is one of the better 25th figures when it came to arm articulation. The legs are solid legs, and pose well, and the torso has as much range as you could want from a figure, but the skirt hinders hip movement quite a bit (the same as you'd find on the ROC Zartan). The "skirt" is removable though, which would probably fix any issues with hip movement if someone were so inclined to remove it. I gave this an 8 instead of a 6 or 7 because the skirt is removable, and doesn't hinder much movement. Plus, the figure doesn't really need to be in crouching poses like other figures would need to be, so I gave him a point for that.

ACCESSORIES:

9 out of 10

What else could DT need? A removable sidearm, perhaps, but it's not necessary. The pack and rifle are much better and vintage-accurate (color-wise, anyways) than the GIJCC single figure, so I think the ratings should be fairly high on this. Plus, the Dusty shoulder straps look good on the figure. The stand is a nice touch.

If you count the file card as an accessory, there is something that I haven't mentioned before, and probably should: All the JoeCon figures have crappy filecard images. They are very pixelated, which could be an issue for some folks. Just wanted to mention that, as it was brought up on another site and it reminded me to bring it up here.

PAINT:

9 out of 10

The head has a few issues with the hair and 'stache, but the rest of the figure has crisp masks. The patch on the sleeve looks great, too, and it's very crisp. The backpack is molded in the off-white color, so there's no paint to come off or have a weird mask spray there.

FINAL VERDICT:

8 out of 10

He's not as color-accurate as the single-carded/loose GIJCC Dial-Tone, but I feel like his construction is better, and he's at a better price. He's also probably more "real-world" looking than the other DT, which could sway many collectors towards this version of the figure. Also, the paint apps are much better. If I get my GIJCC exclusive figure in, I may photograph the two for comparison before sending it off if my friend is okay with that, and I'll update the thread accordingly. If you have to get one DT, I suggest getting this one over the other one. He's cheaper, better looking aesthetically, and has better paint apps. The gear is more accurate in color to the vintage figure and the flesh tone allows for head-swaps much easier than the more reddish skin tone of the single-release figure, making this figure a decent donor (without costing too much) to "fix" your custom DT like I did. The downside? He's not as color-accurate to the vintage DT (either version) and the file card image sorta looks like crap (it's really pixelated), plus there's a slight issue with the skirt (that is fixable if you remove it...). I didn't plan on getting this figure, and the other DT's bad feedback made me, and now I have a "perfect" Dial-Tone for my collection after modding him. Plus, the body will work well as a generic trooper with a simple headswap (or could end up as a "jungle gear" version of Dial-Tone for dios).

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
ROC Zartan and one of the TRU desert 5-pack guys (one of the MPs if I recall correctly) plus I think it came with one of the other Zartan repaints in ROC (either "Grunt" or "Pit Trooper" reissues in green).

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Ah, that would make sense. My bad, thanks for that. I'm an idiot.

I will mention that it doesn't help hip movement though, although it looks much better. What a 'tard I am. Geez. I never even played much with the ROC TRU Desert MP belts because I didn't much care for them that much. I'll be fixing them now, too.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Where'd the Errol Flynn head sculpt come from?

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Nothing like having a side arm pointed straight at your junk. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the review Rex. I have only looked at the pics so far but once I get a little more time later I'll see what you have to say about it. All I know is I need at least one Short Round figure to get my diorama complete once I get this figure. Now, if I could just find something that looks like Chris Matthews. I have some highly offensive things planned for this figure and I did get an A team van.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
thats actually not as bad a headsculpt as i once though...a little bumpy, but its better than a reuse...a completely new mold is ALWAYS welcome...

not sure how i feel about a $30-$40 headsculpt though, as thats all i'd end up using...

great review BTW...its the reason i don't bother...you set the bar so dang high...i can't even fathom coming up with that much to say about Leatherneck

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
It's cool, I'm just overly wordy. Most people probably see all that type and are like "fuck that!" and just look at the pics like Blood. :)

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I always forget to show "action" shots and the file card (although I mention articulation, I don't exactly show it). Guess I get hung up on showing the different figure angles.

For the JoeCon figures, the file cards aren't really worth showing, but I need to add those at some point...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Duke bandolier... think it was the one from the TRU "Hawk" SRO figure... And some random shoulder harness glued for the other shoulder. I honestly think just that Duke harness by itself would have worked better than the stupid one from Buzzer, but what do I know.

JMM82

Enlisted
Jul 15, 2011
St. Louis, Mo.
Hi! I'm new to the forums/website. I really enjoy the pics and the reviews!

I just received this version of Dial-Tone in the mail yesterday and think it's a great figure. To customize him to my liking, I painted his boots flat black, as well as his pistol and the 2 way radio on his belt (flat black on those, too). I like him better this way. Yes, the green boots kind of break up the coloring somewhat, but black looks better on those items to me, IMHO.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to more reviews on here.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Hi! I'm new to the forums/website. I really enjoy the pics and the reviews!

I just received this version of Dial-Tone in the mail yesterday and think it's a great figure. To customize him to my liking, I painted his boots flat black, as well as his pistol and the 2 way radio on his belt (flat black on those, too). I like him better this way. Yes, the green boots kind of break up the coloring somewhat, but black looks better on those items to me, IMHO.

Keep up the great work and I look forward to more reviews on here.

interesting tweaks that you did. Will you post a pic for refrence?

also, welcome to the site.

danielgogeta

Enlisted
Mar 26, 2011
I really want to get one, but alas, my pocket has holes, and even if i do, i cant find one available in affordable rates.

Love the well written, very detailed review with comparison shots. Worth the read :)