Joes need more articulation

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I know it's a bad tme to be advocating more articulation considering Hasbro has been rather intent on limiting as much articulation on all of their 3 3/4" figures as possible, while jacking the prices up as much as possible, ripping off parents and collectors alike for the past couple lines. I mean, if you think Joes have it bad, at least the single carded figures can bend their knees still. The Clone Wars figures for the past couple years are total ass.

That said, G.I. Joes need, not just full articulation in the wrists, double jointed knees, and full articulation in the ankles, but they also desperatly need double jointed elbos. If anyone ever wants to see them hold guns exactly like real soldiers do, not just fudging it, then that will have to become standard among GI Joes in the future in order to over come the restrictions of bulky web gear and torsos.

Shooting from the hip was acceptable when I was a kid, in fact I remember being frustrated that my first Joe figure, Joe vs Cobra Duke, could not even do that! These days however, I simply want more from these figures. Its too bad considering Hasbro won't do that, because they're too cheap. Just take one look at what's happening to those "new" Star Wars figures and your looking at the future of GI Joe right there.

Can't wait for 3D printing to becomes intracite enough to build action figures for me.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Double jointed necks too. Your head isn't floating on a stake.

We also need another torso joint between the hip and abdomen.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The MU neck definitely needs to be incorporated into the Joe design.

Strangely there are those out there that think Joes need, or are at least not grossly offened about the idea of, less Joe articulation.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Joes are pretty much the gold standard as far as I'm concerned for 1:18th figures remotely in their price range. Always have been, hopefully always will. While there are others out there who have more (especially at a larger scale), I wish all other lines at least had Joe articulation.

The only things I wish they'd all add is ankles that bent both ways (rockers only work on women and ninjas if you ask me), an upward neck motion like BnB figures, and double-jointed elbows.

Anything else would make them look more unsightly. If they could hide a waist with a belt or pants line, then sure. But if they had ML articulation at the 4" scale, they'd be twice as much, finicky and easily-broken/lost, and awful looking.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I think for neck, they also need to be able to move the neck around at the collar area similar to the ARAH styled heads.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
The problem with the necks is that the head is such a focal point that it really needs go look good while keeping a good range of motion. It can be done, the question is, could they make it look good while keeping figures customizable?

NSA

Brotherhood
Admin
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
www.fighting118th.com
Yeah.. at the end of the day they're still thought of as kids toys.. if kids are going to be easily breaking them then it's not going to work from a design standpoint.

They really need to just have a collectors line and a 5 POA movie/kid line already.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
The MU neck definitely needs to be incorporated into the Joe design.

Strangely there are those out there that think Joes need, or are at least not grossly offened about the idea of, less Joe articulation.

Those people are stupid.

They really need to just have a collectors line and a 5 POA movie/kid line already.

I remember being a kid. I remember how much it sucked to play with figures that couldn't bend their arms and knees. 9001 cool points deducted from you.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I'm more partial to the MU articulation lately...they typically have at least Joe articulation and then some...

Things MU has that need to be carried over to Joe:

- double neck
- double elbow
- bicept swivel
- waist rotation
- boot swivel (where applicable)

Obi-Shinobi

Pioneer, Damn It!
Apr 6, 2011
York, PA
Swivel upper thighs would best represent turning your leg, coupled with double knees and rocker ankles.
The neck needs a top AND bottom swivel hinge, and the head ball. (NECA TMNT has this)
Swivel upper bicep, ala MU, along with double elbows.

I would go as far as to include a shoulder/pec ball, for curling the shoulders inward and outward (Microman style), but that's probably pushing it too far. Especially when web gear and vests are worn. I'd still like to have it regardless...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I think if they can hide the joints, then they won't look bad. But with pockets and other sculpted materials, they tend to not work as well with military gear as they do on super heroes or characters with sleeker outfits.

And yeah, webgear would also restrict it. If there was a super articulated line like Microman with a lot of gear and very detailed sculpting, we'd see figures at $18-25 each. For the price range? I don't see Joes adding much more articulation, although we can always dream.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
They don't need so much double elbows, more for all elbows to go bend 90 degrees no problem and beyond.