K-Tiger Reviews: McF TWD Gas Mask Zombie

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I figured it was time that I contribute something to the board other than my surly trolling, so welcome to the first, and perhaps last, installment of K-Tiger Reviews. :trollface:

Preface

Me and McFarlane go way back. I don't know the man personally, mind you, but I did meet him when I was, like, 12. I have the pictures to prove it. No, what I mean is I've had action figures produced by him at many points in the company's development, going all the way back to Todd Toys. I'm not a big fan of his non-figure work, and I'd even go so far as to call him a hypocrite and/or a hack. That doesn't mean I can't be objective when reviewing a product of his. Say what you will about the man, but he has been known to make a killer action figure in his time.

McFarlane Toys has been having some not-so-good times in the last few years. Between the economy tanking, his seemingly endless string of misses, both licensed and in-house, among them botched The Simpsons, Hanna-Barbera cartoon figures, and who can forget Guitar Hero, a line wanted by no one, ever, things were pretty bad. He seems to be doing better now, buoyed by Sports figures, Halo, and most recently, comic and TV series-based The Walking Dead figures.

First impressions

I've been flirting with getting into this line for a little while now. I'm a fan of property, initially with the show, but then the comic as well. Now I've decided to give the figures a shot. Today I'm casting my hyper-critical eye upon the Gas Mask Riot Gear Zombie, henceforth to be called Cincinnati Slim, from series 4 of the show-based line.

I'm just gonna come out and say it, I hate the fucking size of these things. McFarlane's compulsion to do his own thing means these are in a scale virtually untouched for at least the last decade. If you're a long time 1:12 collector they won't fit in with the lion's share of your McFarlane figures, none of your NECA, Mezco, or SOTA figures, either. They won't work with Marvel Legends, or any of the DC figures. They also won't fit in with 1:18 figures, who are on the back half of a second golden age. What they WILL fit in with are McF's Halo and Guitar Hero stuff. Oh, and those X-Men figures you had as a kid.

That nigh-crippling flaw aside, he was a figure I had to have once it's existence was made known to me.

Packaging

After about the second series in the line McFarlane switched to the current slim carded bubble packaging. It takes up less peg space, and I suppose it's a bit lest costly to produce. The graphics are acceptable, with the show and AMC logos prominently displayed. A sticker with the figure's name and an image of the source, in this case the zombie in question (I'm speculating that this was an animatron or puppet, and that the actor never had the skinless prosthetics on), graces the bottom of the bubble. The back is festooned with shots of the other figures in the series, as well as actor promo shots.

All in all, it does what it needs to, which is hold the figure and accessories until I can liberate them in my basement dungeon. What?

Articulation

Articulation is a funny thing. There's articulation that works, I.E. G.I. Joe, or Takara's Microman. Then there's the kind that makes you say "what the fuck was the point?". McFarlane Toys has long been a.....proponent.. of this latter style. In the past it was not uncommon for a McFarlane figure to be touted as having articulation, but in truth it was merely a joint "necessitated" by construction. That's not to say McFarlane Toys doesn't know how to do good articulation, they just tended to choose not to. The Walking Dead figures have not gone untainted by McFarlane's odd concept of articulation, but things have improved from the articulated, but-really-more-or-less pre-posed series 1 figures.

Cincinnati Slim here comes with some kind of weird neck articulation I don't know the proper nomenclature for, ball and pin/joint shoulders and elbows, cuts at the cuff of the gloves for wrists, something weird that I guess technically is a ball joint at the hips, ball and pin/jointed knees, and ball jointed ankles. Everything works, more or less. You can get a couple of shambling poses out of him, but Zombie Viper he is not. It's mostly the fault of the not-unsightly hip joints that are only slightly less useless that the ones Hasbro used on their Iron Man 2 figures, but I digress...

Accessories

These are generally where the zombies get short-shrift, and Slim here is no exception. While the zombies-in-waiting come packed to the gills with accessories, Slim has to be contented with a single accessory, a three-piece gas mask/face combo. The lens comes off to reveal his face, and the whole shebang can plug onto his face, for pre-face mask (15 yards penalty, automatic first down) action. There's also, what I can best term as a section of respirator hose. It is, I think, a separate piece (I can't find a hole to plug it into), so expect to lose that bitch with the quickness.

I should add that zombies don't really need many accessories, but at the price I wouldn't mind seeing some more. Just look at all the crap the Governor's little tramp came with....

Paint and sculpt

It's...good enough for government work. The palette is predominately black and grey, in varying matte and glossy finishes. There's blood in the appropriate places, and in more-or-less the correct shade of sickly red. There's some green staining, I suppose from some form of putrefaction. McFarlane has executing blood-soaked horror figures down to a science. The same goes for sculpting. When they're trying few can usually match McFarlane, and Jack is no exception. Both muscle and fabric are well-detailed, if not always faithful to the source material. Slim is covered in detailed armor, with textures galore.

Cincinnati Slim here is pretty accurate to his second death, stabbed through the left eye, look closely and you can see the tool mark on the socket. Pretty accurate, aside from his skin needing to be a leathery brown. Rivet counters in the house!

Final analysis

This reanimated bastard cost me 13.49 plus tax at Walgreens. It's not a terrible price given the realities that make up the current toy market. It was cheaper than TrU and Hastings, and I don't feel like I got bent over on the deal. The riot zombies were one of the most memorable scenes in season 3, and if you're gonna buy ANY of the show-based figures it should be them. I know I'll be reconsidering my stance on this line. Your team did good, Mr. McFarlane.

Last edited:

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Cool review, you gonna do the other one? I was thinking about reviewing these too for TNI.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Oh, and I to have known McFarlane since I was a little boy(okay, not sitting on his lap, creepy like that, but same as you in action figure mode.. since Spawn series 1)... and I hate, hate, hate these new crotches his figures have, the new Halos and Assassin's Creed figs have them too.. :(

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd forgotten the Assassins Creed line he's doing. These will fit in with those, too. :D Yeah, McFarlane has this thing where he doesn't want articulation messing up the "artistic integrity" of the figure's sculpt, hence the weird hips. As you know he's been doing dumb things like that for years.

As for more reviews, I'm planning on it. I intend to do 1966 Catwoman if/when I get my hands on her.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah, I hear ya, but some of his Halo figures were GOLD.. it's like they got it right after like 20 waves of Spartans.. and then said F it and gave everyone diapers.

MMorelock66

Isn't a Gijoe fan
Apr 4, 2012
the land of Virginia
KT, you need to do more reviews. This just blew General Hawk into another dimension.

Any chance you could snap a picture of this here zombie with one of the Halo figures? I'd like to possibly see a comparison. Thanks!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The only McHalo figure I own is an old carded Wal-Mart exclusive ODST, and he's not in the same scale as the current figures. Thankfully Joerhyno can help with that.

Thanks for the kind words, fellas. I'll do some more reviews in the future, if for nothing else than to show how NOT to do them. :D

BEAM

Avoids Responsibility
Apr 12, 2013
Rhode Island
Nice job K-Tiger. Definitely do more. I should be getting my hands on ol' Cincinnati Slim through a trade with a local who owes me for hooking him up with some Ret 3.5 figures.

I do hate McFarland for the scale issues, like everyone else. The face sculpts and likenesses have been shoddy as well. Many of the actor likenesses have been subpar - some are down right embarrassing. But then they do some good work on these types of figures, as well as the comic series line. I wish NECA could have gotten this license. Those issues would have been non-issues.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Nice job K-Tiger. Definitely do more. I should be getting my hands on ol' Cincinnati Slim through a trade with a local who owes me for hooking him up with some Ret 3.5 figures.

I do hate McFarland for the scale issues, like everyone else. The face sculpts and likenesses have been shoddy as well. Many of the actor likenesses have been subpar - some are down right embarrassing. But then they do some good work on these types of figures, as well as the comic series line. I wish NECA could have gotten this license. Those issues would have been non-issues.

McF has always been hit or miss on likeness, but no company is 100% on that score. I want to get one or two of the humans (I'm angling for Andrea and comic riot gear Glenn), and I'll definitely tackle the likeness issue.

Jrsmi6

Leprechan Hunter
I'm glad I read this review. Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I had considered buying those zombies ,but I think I'll pass now. I did pick up a Carl and Rick Grimes, but they were kinda Mcfarlaned up so I didn't want to risk buying any more. The figures look cool in the package , but it is kind of false advertising to call them toys. His company should be called Mcfarlane poorly articulated statues and collectibles .is it just me or are all of his products now made with the cheapest plastic he could find? Great Review .

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think McFarlane would be happier doing "Nerd Hummels". There's just no way to reconcile his need for visual integrity of a figure's sculpt with the realities of it needing to be a functional action figure. That hasn't stopped him from trying, with mixed results.

His Headless Horseman box set comes to mind. Great idea, it just didn't work out over the long haul.

I'm going hunting today, so I hope I can come back with something to review.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Check Walgreens K, mine are stuffed with TWD figs. Also check Game Stops.

If you really wanna get pissed at McFarlane, get their Assassin's Creed figures, BEAUTIFUL [ACTION] FIGURES!!!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I checked the Walgreens where I got Slim and all that was still on the peg was Carl. They aren't carrying Joes, unfortunately. They are carrying the AC figures, but I've no interest in the property.

Haven't been in a Game Stop in years, and frankly didn't know they were still carrying figures. I might stop at one today, but I'm thinking Hastings or TrU will be my best bet for something.