LED Light Saber

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
I just couldn't resist the challenge. Didn't come out half bad for prototype. What do you think?

The paint needs to cure a bit more before I post any pics of it in the hands of a figure, so, here are some teaser shots.

Edit: Oh yeah this is in 118th scale of course.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Run it up a cloak sleeve (ala Arnold's laser scope wires in The Terminator) and no one will be the wiser.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
That's dang cool...maybe next step is separating the wires by way of plastic somehow then insert through center of handle?

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks, guys. Yeah the wires aren't to noticeable, really. They're very fine. I see now that I could have made the terminals smaller, but still, I at least proved to myself that a could do it. If nothing else it could play as a saber from the Hyperspace War era, when Light sabers had a cable that ran to a power pack on the wielders belt.

Now I just need to find someone willing to unload a bunch of light sabers on me, for really cheap, then I can turn these out for all my friends.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
I have this...if you want it, PM me your addy...I'm not needing anything right now so an addy will be all thats required :)

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks. I'm still thinking on a way to make the light shine more evenly throughout the entire blade. So far the best I have come up with is "frosting" the finish with super fine sandpaper and steel wool, which was an improvement, but still not perfect. I was thinking of trying UV light and florescent paint , but I couldn't find any UV LEDs in 3mm size.

If you find a blade, Eddie, I'll make one for you. I have a hilt that I can use.

Edit:I guess you found one. I'll send that PM.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Where you the one I sent that picture of a pile of light sabers too, but I never touched base with again?

Chaka Cha

Enlisted
Jun 7, 2012
I also have maybe 10 or 12 lightsabers...in case you need more after you get what the fellas were offering...

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Thanks, Guys.

Boy that is awesome. such a brilliant thing to try. and to be successfull, wow. If only we had Tesla electricity....

I hadn't thought of running it off a Tesla Coil. Hmmmm. With the right terminals one could probably get a force lightning effect. Hmmm. I'm gonna end up burning my house down.

Last edited:

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
That looks great.

If you are trying to even out the light,
1. try a thin line of reflective paint on one side of the fiber optic. Match the light saber color if you can.
or
2. try some clear (or almost clear) coat to see if that will give the desired reflectivity.

The Willoughbian

Proletariat Art Threat
Jun 24, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
That looks great.

If you are trying to even out the light,
1. try a thin line of reflective paint on one side of the fiber optic. Match the light saber color if you can.
or
2. try some clear (or almost clear) coat to see if that will give the desired reflectivity.

I hadn't thought of a line of paint on the back side. I may give this a try on the next one. Thanks for the tips.