Legion XIV 1:18 Project: Suits

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I would like to introduce Legion XIV's 1:18 scale project: Suits Kickstarter. The goal is to fill in some glaring holes in the world of 1:18 collecting. These figures are highly detailed and articulated and feature easy to swap parts. The Kickstarter will run from now until February 12th at 9pm central time. Funds will not be withdrawn until after the Kickstarter has ended and only if the funding goal is met. So feel free to contribute early, you can always withdraw your contribution or modify it at a later time. I want to thank you for your time and support on this project.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/790108683/legion-xiv-project-suits-action-figures

Attachments

• IMG_0015.JPG
    IMG_0015.JPG
    102.6 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0029.JPG
    IMG_0029.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    137.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Love the idea...please don't launch now - wait until all these other ones are done and there is a lull in the figure kickstarters... :)

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Love the idea...please don't launch now - wait until all these other ones are done and there is a lull in the figure kickstarters... :)
I'm aiming for November/December time frame. It will be after both the Western line and Eagle Force Kickstarters are over.

Those look great! Dig the FBI dude. Will the harness fit under the coats?
I tried, but it just didn't work right. Since the jackets will be PVC, the elasticity might allow for it on the final production parts though.

Why's the President gotta be white?????
:racist: But seriously, I just needed a name for the blue suit. I also want to make a Reagan head as a Kickstarter Exclusive to go with the body. Edit: Thanks though, I should add some minorities.

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
I like what you've done here. I'm definitely interested.

Btw, I'd be down for buying additional extra shoulder harnesses.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Here are some wips of the redesigned parts. The images in the first post are models I modified and also photoshopped to approximate the changes being made. These images are the actual updated models.

Attachments

• Officer_1.jpg
    Officer_1.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 132
  • doll-update-v2-r1-008.jpg
    doll-update-v2-r1-008.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 125

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I've been working a lot on them. I believe they are to a point where they are less noticeable than many other double joints while still functioning properly.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I'm working on new color renders. I removed all the old ones from the first post and will be reposting them there as completed. The first new one has been added.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I've got some prints ordered. More officer uniforms added. The two without heads are just concepts based on obscure characters.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I have a question - I am curious why you are going with a mid torso joint instead of a waist joint similar to marauders? Seems manufacturing-wise it would be much easier to make torsos all a solid color and then waists and legs a solid color and pop them together...easier to mix and match shirt and pants and even suits and arms later...instead of having to paint 1/2 of the torso to match the pants or shirt. I never understood why Joe went to the midtorso joint either...it has to increase costs and decrease the options.

Another idea...could you sculpt the torso so the dress shirt appears unbuttoned when no tie applied and the the tie itself covers the neck and it appears all buttoned up?

Just a couple things to suggest. :D

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I have a question - I am curious why you are going with a mid torso joint instead of a waist joint similar to marauders? Seems manufacturing-wise it would be much easier to make torsos all a solid color and then waists and legs a solid color and pop them together...easier to mix and match shirt and pants and even suits and arms later...instead of having to paint 1/2 of the torso to match the pants or shirt. I never understood why Joe went to the midtorso joint either...it has to increase costs and decrease the options.

Another idea...could you sculpt the torso so the dress shirt appears unbuttoned when no tie applied and the the tie itself covers the neck and it appears all buttoned up?

Just a couple things to suggest. :D

I really like that idea with the unbuttoned shirt. It should be pretty easy to do to. As for the torso, it was done to better fit these figures with Joes. I also like the range of motion it provides better. For this project specifically, almost all the figures wear a white shirt so there isn't any mixing and matching shirt and pants colors. The arms and jacket are all removable so different color jackets can be mixed with different color pants. For future project I'm planning a snap together waist in addition to the torso joint to be able to mix pants and shirts. I believe it's 21st Century figures that have a similar type of waist.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
All items set to be in the Kickstarter are now posted.

Attachments

• twin1.jpg
    twin1.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 46
  • cg1.jpg
    cg1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 43

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Here is a painted printed sample. This was printed as a solid piece so some of the joints will not be visible. The purpose of this print was to test scale, proportion, and detail. It turns out that the belt and eyes are too small for mass production painting. I had trouble painting the belt and did not attempt the eyes. These parts will need to be slightly exaggerated and more defined.

Attachments

• IMG_0918.JPG
    IMG_0918.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 99

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I've got some more 3D prints coming that will actually be functional. I should be able to show the figure's range of motion. I'm also playing around with different composites for the KS pictures.

Attachments

• testmockup.jpg
    testmockup.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 81

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Can I get Kickstarter added to the end of the title? This thread will work instead of starting a new one.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
Presenting the President Ronald Reagan Kickstarter Exclusive figure. This figure will only be available during the Kickstarter campaign. It may be added to any package in any desired quantity at $25 each. All-In backers receive one free and Deluxe All-In backers receive two free with their packages. Don't miss out on this unique opportunity to add this historic figure to your collection!

Attachments

• pres.jpg
    pres.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 8

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
It's been requested. The cheap way would be to do a new torso and jacket. But I don't think it would look good without out creating new bigger arms and legs too. And 100% new tooling would be cost prohibitive right now.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
A bit of information for you guys. The figures will have foot peg holes and backpack peg holes in the back, designed to be compatible with modern GI Joe figures.