Marvel: Phase Three

the_Archivist

Archivist
Officer Club
Dec 23, 2013
Atlanta
www.118archive.com
Hopefully the make some good toy lines out of some of these... none of the 2.5" crap or 5 POA IM3 or Spider man junk either. If they are like the IM2 or Thor 2 lines that would be good for me.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Coming soon to pegs near you: 0 points of articulation figures. :rolleyes:

I find it funny that we got a teaser for two movies that are 4 and 5 years away.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Not saying that somebody else isn't capable, but main reason why I want Marvel Studios to get the rights to X-Men back is so I can get an epic film adaption of arguably the greatest story arc in history of fandom.

Marvel Studios has proven (over the course of ten films and with lesser known characters,) that it can create cohesiveness and maintain congruency throughout it's cinematic universe. You have quasi "sword and sorcery" fantasy with Thor, tech/mech elements with Iron Man, a political thriller with Cap, good old fashion action adventure flicks with the Avengers, and they've proven that can tackle sci fi with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Just imagine if Marvel got the rights back to "The Strangest Heroes of Them All" you start off the original team, switch to the classic X-Men, with the entire story arc being a buildup to the Dark Phoenix Saga. If feel as if Marvel Studios is the only movie studio that create a script that can take the X-Men from being on Earth to a trial by combat on Sh'iar Empire without it coming off as wack ass fuck. I also feel that Marvel Studios is the only movie studio that would be bold enough to make a movie without their franchise being centered around Logan and who would have thought that Marvel would be leading the charge with cinematic live action flicks, though DC has the animation game on lock by default.

If Disney did put the quality and care into Marvel animated features as they do with their live action movies, I wonder would they be giving DC a run for their money? Off topic, how many phases are there going to be in the Marvel Cinematic Universe? Or will they just eventually reboot the entire thing?

Last edited:

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Talk about a news day. Holy fuck!

I'm most excited for Cap 3 and Black Panther. I'm bummed that Hawkeye isn't getting a film or at least a shared film with BW.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Dammit, I hate to-be-continued/half-movies… But holy shit, a 5-6 hour fucking Avengers 3? That's a cruel year-long intermission between 'em.

So Evans is only on board through Cap 3, right? Or a 3rd Avengers film too? How do they split up billing for that? Because it's 2 movies, not one if it's split up like that, and I thought he was contracted up through 6 films?

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Dammit, I hate to-be-continued/half-movies… But holy shit, a 5-6 hour fucking Avengers 3? That's a cruel year-long intermission between 'em.

So Evans is only on board through Cap 3, right? Or a 3rd Avengers film too? How do they split up billing for that? Because it's 2 movies, not one if it's split up like that, and I thought he was contracted up through 6 films?

He was originally contracted for both CA3 & A 2&3. However there is a legal clause that says you can not shoot 1 movie then break it up into multiple movies without compensation & approval. Logic says Marvel revisited the various contracts & made arrangements with each actor to either appear in A3p1, A3p2 or both. This is also part of the reason this announcement was not made at Comic con.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Wish the dialogue was clearer, but it's obvious enough why that's the case. ;)

Yeah I couldn't make out half the dialogue, but I'm on the train, too.

Did they say something about what The Maximoff Girl showed you? Maybe that's what the broken shield scene is from? Scarlet Witch showing them visions of the future?

And why are they on a damn farm? Haha.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah I couldn't make out half the dialogue, but I'm on the train, too.

Did they say something about what The Maximoff Girl showed you? Maybe that's what the broken shield scene is from? Scarlet Witch showing them visions of the future?

And why are they on a damn farm? Haha.

Yeah, it did say something about "the Maximoff girl"...so it kinda sounded like she showed them all some kind of vision...the future obviously makes the most sense...who she showed visions to though...

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

He was originally contracted for both CA3 & A 2&3. However there is a legal clause that says you can not shoot 1 movie then break it up into multiple movies without compensation & approval. Logic says Marvel revisited the various contracts & made arrangements with each actor to either appear in A3p1, A3p2 or both. This is also part of the reason this announcement was not made at Comic con.

His contract ends after A3. First I've heard about the split movie clause. I'm sure they will compensate the actors in some way. Some people are speculating that not all the actors will be in both parts of A3. A common rumor right now is that part 1 will feature the new roster like Black Panther, Strange, Marvel etc etc. Then the OG's will show up in Part 2 and finish the job. Of course it could go the other way around too.

As for Cap dying in A3. Some people think that Rogers may "die" in Cap 3 and make a comeback in A3 pt 2.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Yeah, it did say something about "the Maximoff girl"...so it kinda sounded like she showed them all some kind of vision...the future obviously makes the most sense...who she showed visions to though...

Tony: [chopping wood] Thor didn’t say where he was going for answers?

Steve: [also chopping wood] Sometimes my teammates don’t tell me things. I was kind of hoping Thor would be the exception.

Tony: Yeah, give him time. We don’t know what the Maximoff kid showed him.

Steve: I don’t know what she showed you. I just know it made you do something stupid. Earth’s Mightiest Heroes…pulled us apart like cotton candy.

Tony: Seems like you walked away all right.

Steve: Is that a problem?

Tony: I don’t trust a guy without a dark side. Call me old-fashioned.

Steve: Well, let’s just say you haven’t seen it yet.

Tony: Banner and I were doing the research–

Steve: [rips log apart with his bare hands] That would affect the team.

Tony: That would end the team! Isn’t that the mission? Isn’t that the “whyâ€￾ we fight, so we can end the fight, so we get to go home?

Steve: Every time someone tries to win a war before it starts, innocent people die. Every time.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
BETWEEN THE PANELS: THIS IS THE EDGE BLACK PANTHER WILL GIVE MARVEL'S MOVIES

Between the Panels: This Is the Edge Black Panther Will Give Marvel's Movies - IGN

Black Panther is more than just another Avenger in Hollywood.
BY JESSE SCHEDEEN

This month has been an embarrassment of riches for fans of Marvel Studios' films, what with the debut of the Avengers: Age of Ultron trailer and the announcement of the entire Phase 3 lineup. It seems there will soon be a Marvel movie for all types, including people who want a superhero film not starring a handsome, funny white guy.

Personally, I'm most intrigued by the focus on Black Panther at Marvel's conference. Not only are we getting a solo Black Panther movie in 2017, the character will also play a prominent role in Captain America: Civil War the year before. And we even learned that Chadwick Boseman will be playing the King of Wakanda. Part of this stems from my personal attachment to the character. But it's also interesting to see how much Black Panther's prominence hints at the scope and direction of Phase 3. More than Captain Marvel or Doctor Strange or the Inhumans, Black Panther should be at the core of Marvel's Hollywood storytelling over the next few years.

The appeal of Black Panther is pretty simple. As much as some people like to reductively describe T'Challa as "Marvel's Batman," it's really not that far off. Sure, they share the same silhouette, but T'Challa is also the resident bad-ass among the Avengers. He's less about overt super-powers and more about fancy gadgets and insane levels of strategic planning. Panther also has an arrogant intelligence that always makes his interactions with fellow super-genius Topny Stark fun to read. I'm very eager to see how Boseman and Robert Downey, Jr. play off one another in these upcoming films.

Panther also has a knack for defeating villains who, by all rights, should be way above his pay grade. Case in point:

Why, yes, that is Mephisto, Prince of Lies and Lord of Evil.

People seem to like Batman alright, so there's no harm in Marvel adding someone of that dark, mysterious, uber-cool archetype to their movies. Hey, if you can't get Wolverine, get the guy who was Wolverine-ing before Wolverine existed.

If that were all Black Panther had going for him, his movie would still probably do pretty well. However, there's a deeper importance to the character and what he can bring to Marvel's films. Part of that is simply that Marvel is finally hinging a solo superhero film on a black character. Certainly, characters like War Machine and The Falcon have risen to prominence in the last few years, but they've always been supporting players in another hero's movie. With the Blade franchise dormant and WB's Cyborg movie still years away, the superhero genre needs all the diversity it can get if these movies are to appeal to the broadest audience possible.

Panther's importance goes even deeper than that. The fact is that Black Panther isn't really a superhero at all. He may look the part, and he's contributed his fair share when it comes to defending the world from villains. But at the end of the day, he's not a hero. He's a king. T'Challa is the ruler of the world's most technologically advanced nation and the figurehead of a religious faith. He's charged with safeguarding a kingdom that has always remained staunchly isolationist as it safeguards a large supply of the world's rarest and most valuable metal known an vibranium.

This opens up an entirely new set of challenges and conflicts. He has responsibilities that go far beyond simply protecting his family or maintaining a secret identity. Millions of lives rest on his every decision. Of the Avengers introduced in these films so far, only Thor has any real inkling of the pressures a man like Black Panther faces.

There's a distinctly political element that comes into play with any Black Panther-centric story. As a king, he's basically a visiting foreign dignitary any time he steps foot on American soil. Any Avengers team-up risks sparking a massive international incident. That creates an internal tension you don't see with the other Avengers. Black Panther may see evil in the world - violence, racial disparity, corporate greed - but he can't just slap on his costume and go pummel that evil into submission. He has to take a smarter and more pragmatic approach to doing good. Meanwhile, he's constantly defending his country from opportunistic rivals who would like nothing better to exploit Wakanda's natural resources. Vibranium is the new oil.

Which makes this guy the new Halliburton?

This plays into the general story direction Marvel seems to be heading with Phase 3. It's very telling that Panther is making his cinematic debut in 2016's Captain America: Civil War rather than his own movie the following year. The Marvel movies are headed in a more political direction already. Captain America: The Winter Soldier dealt very directly with the notion of "freedom vs. tyranny." Whom does a hero like Captain America really serve? What should the role of a peacekeeping agency like S.H.I.E.L.D. be in world affairs? Meanwhile, the fallout of Avengers: Age of Ultron will bring up its own issues. What sort of accountability do superhumans have? Should the public trust the Avengers when they're basically walking weapons of mass destruction, one of whom is capable of creating indestructible robots who plot humanity's extinction? Maybe some government oversight is needed?

All of that will fuel into the Civil War movie. Marvel has already been very clear that this take on the Civil War storyline is less about secret identities and more about accountability and oversight. Iron Man will fall on one side of the conflict as he struggles to atone for his mistakes in Age of Ultron, while Captain America campaigns for liberty and personal freedoms. And then you add Black Panther into the mix. It's hard to say exactly where the character will fit into this dynamic, but his mere presence elevates the Civil War conflict from an American issue to an international one. If T'Challa steps in to support Captain America's faction, how does that affect Wakanda's relationship with the rest of the world? Does it give his secretive kingdom the sort of unwanted attention it's always avoided?

Black Panther is an essential part of making these films more political and focused on a global scale rather than an American one. And that's a good thing. Superhero comics often have a problem with focusing on the bigger picture. They become so focused on the soap opera quality of the heroes' lives and the endless stream of crossovers and villains that they lose sight of what these heroes are fighting for in the first place. That's where the X-Men franchise went sour during the '90s. It's a problem many of Marvel and DC's big crossover comics face today. These stories have to be about more than one group of costumed super-people fighting another group.

Many have voiced the concern that the superhero movie genre will overextend itself and the bubble will burst. With Marvel Studios and WB both planning three films annually in the years ahead (to say nothing of competing efforts from Fox, Sony, etc.), the flow is definitely only going to increase. What's important is for Marvel and other companies to be as versatile as possible with these projects. Just this year, we've seen the political thriller superhero film, the quirky space fantasy superhero film, and the time-travel sci-fi superhero film. The superhero genre doesn't really have to be a genre at all. And by introducing Black Panther and making him a centerpiece of their Phase 3 plans, Marvel can really show viewers what their superhero universe can offer.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
First, I freaking love Marvel! They add black characters into the films that are already black instead of just changing an existing characters race to add diversity. And then they cast accurately! They cast an actual black guy to play a black guy! Not a Somoan! Imagine that! And he's built like an actual superhero to play a Superhero!

Having said that, I think there's way too much focus on Marvel "taking a risk" on a black starred film. I don't think it's a risk if the whole cast isn't all black. If they go the Tyler Perry route, yeah, bad idea. The movie will appeal to only blacks. But Marvel isn't that dumb, so there's no risk. They'll mix it up racially. And that's not even mentioning that "MARVEL" will be stamped on the movie. That alone almost guarantees success nowadays.

And that brings me to Guardians of the Galaxy...I think that film is responsible for Marvel taking more "risks". They saw that even relatively unknown characters can be successful. So thanks GotG!

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
Latest Marvel news update

Haven't had enough Marvel? Well my sources say we will be getting another Marvel project, running won't be long enough for it to be a movie released in theaters, but more like a long One shot, to be shopped around to one of the streaming services.

Tyler Perry will direct an avengers themed MCU story featuring Falcon, War Machine Black Panther & Deathlok as they face off against an unnamed villain (currently suspected to be The White Rabbit)

Sources say if the series is not picked up the story may still be released as a Agents of SHIELD TV special as it will introduce at least 1 new character that will be featured in future Marvel films.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
First, I freaking love Marvel! They add black characters into the films that are already black instead of just changing an existing characters race to add diversity. And then they cast accurately! They cast an actual black guy to play a black guy! Not a Somoan! Imagine that! And he's built like an actual superhero to play a Superhero!

For some reason I found the ^^^^ to be funny as hell. Not due to Eddie's usually sarcastic wit, but because of the lack thereof. I the way I read it, Eddie sounded like he was dead serious. However, I do disagree with Eddie on casting of Dwayne Johnson as Rockblock for reasons that have already been stated over and over on this site. Would Terry Crews been a better choice? Of course, that that would have changed the dynamic of Retaliation.

I understand were Eddie is coming from in regards of casting Johnson as Rockblock, but Ed you do have to concede the fact that The Rock is half black, in addition to having Rockblock's physique. Off topic, was I the only who felt that Cap: Winter Solider was the movie that Retaliation should have been?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Like with Heimdall, right? :trollface:

I would think that if you don't read Thor comics (me) you're not likely to know that Heimdalls race changed. As far as I knew, he was always black, and if you hadn't just mentioned it, I would've gone on thinking he was. I wouldn't say he's a well known Marvel character.

Thanks a lot fogg! Now I hate Marvel! :explode:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
I would think that if you don't read Thor comics (me) you're not likely to know that Heimdalls race changed. As far as I knew, he was always black, and if you hadn't just mentioned it, I would've gone on thinking he was.

Thanks a lot fogg! Now I hate Marvel! :explode:

:lmao:

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Yeah, Kingpin in the Daredevil movie, but that was pre-Marvel Cinematic Universe.

If you include anything that Marvel Studios had a joint venture in, you add in all of the X-men, Spider-Man, Blade, Ghost Rider and Fantastic Four movies.