Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011

:lmao:

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
That would be the villain from Ant-Man, Yellow Jacket.

From what I've read, it's a more advanced version of the Ant-Man armor that Pym had developed and was stolen from his lab.

darthdre758

Watsamattau?
Officer Club
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah. Originally they wanted each phase to end with an Avengers movie but changed it recently. I think it's atupid, but I'm not on that decision board so who cares.

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Ragnarok: Thor 3 May be More Important Than You Think

Almost lost in a sea of Marvel movie announcements, we suggest you keep a watchful eye on Thor: Ragnarok.

Kevin Feige has promised that Thor: Ragnarok is "a very important movie for us in Phase 3...we plan on taking Thor to another level." We think we're ready to believe him. Here's why...

It's generally been assumed that the Captain America films have taken up the mantle of "the most important" Marvel Studios entries not explicitly known as The Avengers. Iron Man 3 was fairly self-contained, and other than a flirtation with Guardians of the Galaxy in its post-credits scene, Thor: The Dark World really only seemed to have any noticeable impact on a few mediocre episodes of Agents of SHIELD. On the other hand, Captain America: The Winter Soldier introduced enough new characters to populate franchises a-plenty, and the next one, 2016's Captain America: Civil War, may reshape the entire Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Well, name recognition is and fan service are both wonderful things, and that's exactly what Captain America 3 and its portentious "Civil War" title is banking on. But there are now a few things to consider about Thor 3, as well, that should keep you quite interested in what's happening on the other side of the Bifrost. In fact, this one is probably going to be every bit the lynchpin that Avengers: Age of Ultron and Captain America: Civil War are. It even takes its name, as those two films do, from a momentous comic book tale (not to mention Norse mythology).

Idris Elba recently let it slip that he's appearing as Heimdall in Avengers: Age of Ultron, alongside Tom Hiddleston as Loki. This is almost certainly a brief appearance, but considering that we've seen in the trailer, Thor is quite unhappy about something or other, and we imagine he's going to be the first to say "screw you guys, I'm going home" after they've whupped Ultron's shiny ass. Heimdall and Loki could be appearing in flashback, as hallucinations, or as some kind of construct generated by Ultron. That's not the point, though. The point is, Thor is likely out the door at the end of Avengers 2, in order to get him back home in time for Thor: Ragnarok.

Ragnarok is, of course, the mythological "twilight of the gods," and it means the end of important players like, y'know, Thor, Loki, Odin, and Heimdall. But it was also the subject of a particularly excellent comic book story from 2004 by Michael Avon Oeming and Andrea Di Vito. While this comic book Ragnarok blended all manner of mythological elements with Thor's Marvel Comics continuity, there's something crucial to consider about this one, as well: it was part of a much wider Marvel storyline known as "Avengers Disassembled" which, you guessed it, broke up the team so that a new squad could take their place. But it was Thor's departure (and death) in this storyline that really kicked all of that "disassembling" into high gear. So, yes, now it looks like we can add Avengers Disassembled to the stew of comics-influenced movie storylines in the pipe.

I'm willing to make a few safe predictions about Thor: Ragnarok. It's safe to say that the fiery Surtur will be the main baddie of the piece, but he won't be coming alone. There's no way in any of the realms that they will leave the whole "Loki masquerading as Odin" thing unresolved, especially since at least one of them won't survive. Hell, it's even possible that Thor himself won't survive this one. Thor 3 will be the fifth entry in Chris Hemsworth's six picture deal. If they kill him off in Ragnarok, that frees him up to return for the feel good ass-kicking of the year in Avengers: Infinity War - Part II. The other possibility is simply that Thor ends up as ruler of the decimated Asgard, with the same result: it keeps him off the Avengers playground for one movie, and then he can come back for a triumphant ass-kicking to say goodbye.

And speaking of "staying off the playground," Ragnarok will probably be the Thor entry least beholden to Midgard. It had better be. When you're dealing with a battle so great that it eliminates gods, this might not be the place to focus on Jane Foster and her wise-cracking best pal. Since Natalie Portman's Jane Foster was one of the first characters we met in Thor's world, this should probably be addressed soon, and it does look like she is absent from that party scene in Avengers tower, too, so this might even be addressed in Avengers: Age of Ultron. Maybe now is finally Sif's time to shine, along with the rest of the Warriors Three.

While the Marvel Studios movies aren't generally known for particularly overbearing directorial vision, Thor 3 might be the film that would benefit the most from a strong director. Perhaps Peter Jackson or Guillermo del Toro could find room in their schedules for...ahem...sorry. I was daydreaming.

I'm also going to leave this one, final, teeny-tiny possibility on the table for you all. Following the events of Thor: Ragnarok (or Avengers Disassembled: Thor depending on who you ask), Michael Avon Oeming penned another Thor-related story - Stormbreaker: The Saga of Beta Ray Bill. Now, I'm not saying that Thor 4 is going to be a Beta Ray Bill movie...but goddamnit, maybe it should be. If nothing else, Beta Ray Bill would fit nicely in a future Guardians of the Galaxy movie, but now I'm just getting myself excited.

Regardless, right now there's one thing we can count on, and that's the fact that Thor: Ragnarok opens on July 28th, 2017. You can also see our full Marvel movie release calendar by clicking here!

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Director James Gunn Says 'We're Not Here to Service The Avengers or Infinity War'

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 Director James Gunn Says 'We're Not Here to Service The Avengers or Infinity War' - IGN

Does the Collector have Adam Warlock's cocoon?:

The Easter Eggs that are featured in the Collector's lair have been a frequent topic of conversation since the film's release. From Howard the Duck to the slugs in Gunn's previous film Slither, there's a lot to be found and discovered in the Collector's big sequence. One item that fans honed in on is what looks to be Adam Warlock's cocoon.

"Well...there's a cocoon that's exactly like Adam Warlock's cocoon," Gunn said laughing when asked about it during the Q&A. "I wasn't thinking that much when I put that in there. And it was my idea to put that in there! I went through the Marvel handbook and picked things that looked neat. And now everyone thinks he's coming out of there...I don't know, there's a lot of stuff in there. There's also a lot of stuff that people think they see that's not there. Unless the visual effects team was messing with me, which maybe they were!"

So, perhaps the cocoon doesn't mean quite what fans may assume...Or does it? Time will tell.

When asked if they'd thought of including a graphic reveal of exactly what the Collector has, Gunn said that hadn't quite occurred to the team.

"I did take a lot of Instagram photos," he told IGN. "I should probably post some stuff. But I didn't think about listing them on the Blu-ray. Listen, it came in waves, because at first they came and said, 'What do you want in these boxes? What do you want us to build?' We went through the Marvel Universe stuff, and I found things we had the rights to that we could put in there. Then we had to do the things that were in the background, that were CGI, and that meant coming up with more ideas, but then also those guys coming up with ideas, the visual effects artists. So it was a multi-tiered thing. It wasn't one fell swoop and we did everything."

Gunn Doesn't Want Star-Lord's Dad to Be a Sixth Sense-Like Reveal:

There have been a wealth of theories about who Star-Lord's mystery father may be revealed to be, including the notion that he may be Adam Warlock's son. In our interview with Kevin Feige, the Marvel head said that the sequel would address the mystery. Gunn doesn't want Quill's paternity to become the center of the film, though.

"It's funny, I don't want to blackbox it too much," Gunn told IGN. "You know what I mean? Yeah, it's like, we'll find out who is dad is, and it's going to serve the story. It's not going to be something like in the Crying Game, though, where the big thing was, 'He has a penis!' [or The Sixth Sense's big twist]. I don't want to do that. It's not about the revelation of who it is; it's about what his relationship is to that character."

But it Will Be Important:

"I think it's important," Gunn said to IGN - echoing what Feige had said previously - when asked if the reveal would have an impact on the Marvel Cinematic Universe at large. "Yeah."

The Comic Origin Was a Bit Too Star Wars-Like for Gunn:

As has been reported, the story of Quill's father will not follow the comic's origin for the character. "I just thought there was a more interesting way to go for the cinematic universe that was more believable," Gunn said when asked why he'd made the shift. "There's things in the comic that on film were a little too Star Wars for me. And I'm not a big fan of the name J'son."

Characters Gunn Would Like to Continue to Explore Include Nebula & Possibly The Celestials:

In speaking about where he'd like to go in the future, Gunn mentioned that there are characters that he's particularly interested in that aren't necessarily Guardians. He referenced the Celestials as a group he's especially fond of.

When IGN asked if he'd like to explore them further the director said, "Maybe at some point, yeah. I mean, I love that guy that we see in the Collector's lab. I love that character. I think he's really cool. The visual effects artists did a great job with him, and they were given a pretty big task, to create this character in a short amount of time and put him in there. Yeah, I like that stuff, the Celestials. I like the whole idea that the Guardians are a bunch of mortals playing in the field of gods. It's really about their mortality in the face of all that stuff that makes it both dramatic and fun."

One character that feels primed to return is Nebula. There was a real dot, dot, dot feel the the close of her story in the first film. Though, she was originally included in the closing montage which checks in on John C. Reilly's Corpsman Dey and Glenn Close's Nova Prime, the Collector and Grandpa Quill we're also ultimately cut from that sequence.

When IGN asked if Nebula is a character Gunn would like to return to, the director said, "Yeah, I love Nebula a lot -- like, a lot."

In the film's initial cut, there was a bit more context to her relationship with Gamora, but it was cut for pacing and did not make it to the theatrical release. "The truth is we had tons of stuff in the first act on The Dark Aster for too long," Gunn reflected during the Q&A. "And it does provide information, but it made the movie move slower and so we cut it."

Gunn's Focus is the Cosmic Universe, Not So Much The Avengers:

Many are speculating about how and if the Guardians will eventually connect with the Avengers, but Gunn says his focus is strictly on this team who "are their own thing" and will not "take a back seat to the Avengers."

"I really am concerned with the cosmic," Gunn told IGN. "I am often concerned with the future, but I am concerned with where the cosmic characters go. I don't think it's about intertwining them too much with the Marvel Earth heroes. I think that that isn't what it's about. We're not here to service Infinity War. We're not here to service The Avengers. It's really about the Guardians and where they can go. I think there are similarities to the rest of the Marvel Universe, but there's also a lot of differences. The Guardians have a little more darkness to them, I think. They're not as good."

Last edited:

Fred Broca

Enlisted
Jun 2, 2012
The Empyrean
Guardians 2 Will be Completely Different:

Gunn unabashedly loves his film (as do we, come to that!), but says that he's not looking to recapture it with the second installment.

"I think we're going to have to do something different," the director told IGN. "It's not about recapturing it because Guardians of the Galaxy was really good at what it did. It is what it is. So it's not about recapturing it. It's about taking the characters in new directions and learning new things about them. It's about taking these characters that people believe in and making them even more real. You asked me what resonates; I totally believe in those characters. I believe those characters are real. To me, Rocket and Groot are real. I feel love for them like I would a human being. That's probably some form of mental illness on my part, but that's just the way it is. I think that truth, really believing in those characters, resonates with people. Also, I think it's a movie that doesn't -- I think for 30 years a lot of Hollywood movies have been treating the audiences like they're idiots. We didn't. We know it's fun, and we're not against having a good dumb time -- seeing explosions and stuff like that -- but at the heart of it, I think there's this basic respect for the humanity of the audience involved and a respect for the characters and the storytelling. I think that people like that."

The director says the sequel may very well delve further into the characters' backstory, but the real focus is honing in on new facets of their personalities, rather than following a structure of, "open on something sad, then move into something happy and exciting with a music transition." Guardians 2 will be its own entity.

The Marriage Between Marvel and Gunn:

One of the most gratifying aspects of Guardians of the Galaxy is that it feels like the perfect combination of a Marvel and James Gunn movie. The director was elated by the amount of freedom he had on the film and that the most outlandish ideas he brought them were the ones that the Marvel team seemed to respond to. When asked why he felt it was such an easy match, Gunn reflected that his life long fandom may have helped.

"I think because I love Marvel comics so much and I grew up loving Marvel comics it wasn't that hard," Gunn said. "I set out to make a movie that was 100-percent a Marvel movie and 100-percent a James Gunn movie. That's what I wanted it to be, so I made the movie that I wanted to see. Growing up with Marvel comics, there were different artists within Marvel Comics. I mean, most Marvel comics were somewhat generic and kind of the same. Then you had someone come along like Frank Miller, who did his run on Daredevil, and all of a sudden, yeah, that was a great Marvel comic. It was a great Frank Miller comic. What Steve Ditko was like on Spider-Man, and his artwork is so unique. Jack Kirby, of course, and Jim Starlin. You had these guys that worked within the Marvel Universe who all had their own specific voices there. You know, Chris Claremont and John Byrne working together on X-Men, when that first became a big hit. I think that those things were all really nice moments. I think that the Marvel [Cinematic] Universe is simply doing that same thing."

Does Thanos Need to Be Scarier?:

As we touched previously, some feel that Thanos hasn't reached the level of fearsome badassery in the Marvel films that he has in the comics - yet. When we asked Gunn his thoughts on the matter, the director replied thoughtfully that the character, "needs to be developed more."

"He's just a blip in this movie," Gunn said of the Thanos' role in Guardians. "So he needs a lot more development before he can take on the entire, you know, Marvel Earth Universe at least. So we'll see what happens."

The DC Slate and Possibility of Darkseid:

"That would be pretty weird, I think," Gunn mused when IGN asked what he thought of the rumor that DC classic villain Darkseid may appear in one of the Justice League movies and if he is perhaps to similar to Thanos (at the very least physically) to make sense as a potential big bad for DC's movie universe.

"That would be a strange choice," Gunn concluded.

DC actually created Darkseid in their comics first and then Marvel introduced their galactic threat, Thanos, whose development was influenced by the DC villain. However, Marvel Movies has already brought Thanos into to the cinematic universe, potentially, in some ways, beating DC to the punch.

As far as the slate itself goes, Gunn said he wasn't sure yet "if it's interesting or not."

"The truth is, it's a list of titles, and if they're done well they'll be good," the director said. "If they aren't, they won't be good. But I think we have a little bit more of an idea of what we're getting with Marvel. I mean, we know the actors, we know the characters -- we've seen movies with these characters. You have some idea of what's going on already. We've told
a big part of the story. With DC, they haven't told the story yet."

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
At least they're trying to get Rami back. I really liked his Spidy films. Yes, even Peter as the cocky emo kid dancing down the street.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
At least they're trying to get Rami back. I really liked his Spidy films. Yes, even Peter as the cocky emo kid dancing down the street.

Why did you remind me of Spider-Man 3's existence, it's so fucking bad. :grumpy: But yeah, Raimi did some great work with his first two films, I didn't like Tobey Maguire, but the tone was great. Spidey is one of those heroes that needs a less gritty, dark movie. I do like Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker, I just wish the movies he's in would've been better story and tone-wise.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I love Rami's tone. His films are more fun IMO. Characters like Spiderman and Superman need to be more fun and less heavy. That dark and depressing crap doesn't have to be applied to EVERY superhero film. It just doesn't work for ALL of them.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
Yeah, I love Rami's tone. His films are more fun IMO. Characters like Spiderman and Superman need to be more fun and less heavy. That dark and depressing crap doesn't have to be applied to EVERY superhero film. It just doesn't work for ALL of them.

Yep, I mean one of the resons I like Spider-Man as a character so much is that he stays positive in the worst of situations. I mean, dude's been shit on by the world constantly and he's still upbeat and does the whole hero thing. Doom and gloom is definitely the wrong tone, and the fact that so much of both of the new movies takes place at night doesn't help, dude is not Batman.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think that's why I'm starting to favor Flash over Arrow...it's takes place a lot more in the daylight...so refreshing.

Vindicare86

TANSTAAFL
Apr 4, 2011
Germantown, MD
I think that's why I'm starting to favor Flash over Arrow...it's takes place a lot more in the daylight...so refreshing.

Haven't watched Flash yet, but yeah, Tv and film is obsessed with dark nowadays, drives me nuts. Call me crazy, but I like being able to see what's going on instead of a bunch of shadows obstructing everything...

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Okay, cool.

So who's the chick in the, cave? Thought it was Nebula at first but then it looks like the cave girl is black.

Darkseid83

The Dude
Jun 14, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I'm wondering the same thing, unless she's an African chick, which is quite possible, then that might be a cave in Wakanda, maybe vibranium and Wakanda will play a role in taking down Ultron?

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
Doesn't Stark wind up with the Guardians at some point in the comics? So now it's him in space instead of Hulk? I love RDJ as Tony but I was hoping for more Hulk if someone somehow winds up in space with the Guardians towing them back to earth for Infinity War madness.