May Banner Contest

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
From Bee:

Here's a rough outline for them to use for staging their dios.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Yup, every month RED and I do plan on putting up a figure to the winner every now and again. Don't want to do it too often or it gets old. Probably once every quarter or something like that. Don't forget, Low Light is this months prize.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
I think you will have up until the weekend maybe. Not sure though. I think Friday would be enough time to do a poll over the weekend and then get the winner ready.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I'll have something, I've got a few items to finish painting and by that time I should have the figure I ordered in to complete the shot.

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
I like K-Man's magical flying Kiowa, myself.

And yes, it is awesome now tell us how you did it!!!!

Rick's shootout in Mogadishu wins my number two pick!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
we'll wait Mandingo, I mean really have we ever been that strict on deadlines?

Is K-Tiger still holding out on how he did that??? I'm still baffled. I know guys use coat hangers to suspend them and then photoshop them out but I don't think that's the case here.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Uh Huh,..... I just assumed it was one of the power lines in the distance

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
...Although I'm still not sure how he was hanging the chopper without his arm in the shadow... I'm thinking maybe some sort of T-line? I dunno, that part still has me puzzled.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
i'm sticking with fishing line

He most certainly did use fishing line at least in the first two images he had posted. I can see it attached to the main rotor system. In the third image it may still be there but doesn't show up well due to the blinding light coming off the sun. The fishing line is probably attached to something high above the shot to prevent it from casting a shadow on the ground or on the helicopter itself. If he removed the fishing line in the third shot posted then the tail section which is out of frame maybe anchored to something or just being held up by KT himself.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Jesus, it really isn't a mystery, just judicious use of fishing line.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Also judging by the projection of the shadows in the pictures especially in the first one you'll noticed the direction of the casting. With the shadows casting towards the lower right corner of the shot even if he were holding the fishing line himself his shadow would never show up in the pictures.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
They already blew that shit on weed and Twinkies.

Anyhoo, the main line is attached to a shovel on top of a grill shelf and held up by a 40 pound dumbbell, with a line running from the tail to keep it more or less stabilized while the rotor is spinning.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It worked, didn't it?

Wouldn't work on a Huey, though. That's my next project.

Beeavision

A pirate's life for me!
Mar 14, 2011
Orlando, FL
Anyhoo, the main line is attached to a shovel on top of a grill shelf and held up by a 40 pound dumbbell, with a line running from the tail to keep it more or less stabilized while the rotor is spinning.

Sounds to me your trying to make some kind of perpetual motion machine out of all this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cM5UJ_BeiM

Now all you need is some trusty duct tape to hold it all together with.

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
You guys have until Monday to submit your entries. I'll be setting up the vote sometime Tuesday morning.

Just a friendly reminder and update... I've finished my jungle dio, which I'm going to use for this month's entry... Sorry to take all damn weekend but thanks for the extension... I ended up quite happy with my setup, but I need some daylight to take the pics since I finished up too late tonight.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
K, I couldn't decide. I actually shot my entire dio scene with the intentions of putting them in the banner format, then it turned out my favorite shots didn't work in that format. I also took them with my point-and-shoot, because my girlfriend ended up taking her DSLR to a photography class this morning. No worries, I think they turned out pretty decent:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
i l;ike the bottom three the most...between them i can't decide which of the bottom two i like more...i like seeing the bullets flying thru the air, but i also like seeing many OGs represent'n and the pulled out shot just looks so cool...

that close up of RB is really nice though

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
One of the bottom two would look pretty good with the logo. More towards the second to last one for the entry I think would be your better shot. The lighting is a little better than the last shot and you have the ammo belt in there. I like that you already have it sized up.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
One of the bottom two would look pretty good with the logo. More towards the second to last one for the entry I think would be your better shot. The lighting is a little better than the last shot and you have the ammo belt in there. I like that you already have it sized up.

Yeah, I think the last 2 are my faves. The wide shots worked better. I may have a few more coming, my girl's uploading some pics she took with the better camera.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Uploading some pics? The NSFW thread is in Everything Else. ;) I think tomorrow the contenders might get picked so we all can start voting.