My custom MOTUC Backdrop/diorama

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
I made this for my MOTUC shelf in my toy room. My plan was to make one of these backdrop/dioramas for each of my shelves for my different collections, I just never got around to doing it. When Matty announced their collection contest to win a Fisto, I figured, why not try to finally make it and set it apart from the other entries. Granted I don't have a ton of figures, but I thought the backdrop might help my chances a little, lol.

Anyway, I started with a sheet of pink construction foam and measured the size I needed, then drew what I wanted and then started carving away. I added extra depth by carving the skull on separate pieces and then gluing them on.

I wasn't happy with the "gums" and "teeth", so I resculpted part of them with fixit.

After that(about a million hours of cutting and sanding that foam).. I just went over the whole thing with black and then dry brushed the colors on(another million hours of dry brushing layer by layer).

Here's a pic I sent a friend to show how it looked without the figures in front of it.

And here it is with my meek collection. I have a couple other figures I didn't open yet, but they're guys that weren't really key and though I could just add them later.

I'm quite happy with how I turned out. I originally planned on adding the snake mountain bridge, which is why there's that extra rock part on the bottom right, but I ran out of time and the wood I bought for the bridge didn't look right, so I'll have to rethink that part. Now to plan my next shelf... Halo or Batman... hmmm...

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
The detail on that back drop is sweet! That came out excellent JR. For the next one I would love to see a Batman set up done but I bet a Halo one would look really cool if you did a battlefield.

Joerhyno

Enlisted
Aug 18, 2012
Thanks guys, Batman might be small as I only have a handful of figs, I might make two as I have a few 4" customs I'm working on too... so we'll see.

Halo. I'm torn, I have a ton of spartans, but only a handful of bad guys, maybe I'll make one base with the spartans, then a battlefield for the rest... we'll see.

Star Wars amd Joes... oh boy, those will have to be a few shelves each, lol.