(Paint) Close Approximations

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
There's a similar thread on another site, and I thought it would be nice to have a thread that's a reference for paint approximations. This could be for close approximations to factory paint, or real world equivalents that you're desiring to use on your customs. Hopefully, we'll be able to get a list together and update the 1st post as the suggestions come in.

This thread isn't just for people to post their suggestions, but to ask and discuss as well.

Example:

POC Duke "Desert Battle"
Shirt - Testors Model Master Israeli Armor Sand/Gray

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
So, here's a question.

Which colors do you guys find to be close to the real world colors used for Woodland Camo, and Tiger Stripe camo?

I've been using Testors Model Master Dark Green, Israeli Armor Sand/Gray, custom mixed brown, and Testors Floquil NATO Black. I know the green I've been using is darker than what it should be though, and am having a hard time finding a close approximation. I suppose the closest I've found is Testors Floquil Foliage Green.

Also, I was using the exact same colors for my Tiger Stripe camo, but changed them with my recent Tunnel Rat custom. I opted for Testors' Floquil Dark Olive Green, and Testors Model Master US Army/Marines Gulf Armor Sand instead of the green and tan I previously used.

I guess you could say, I'm trying to figure out stock paints to use for camo. Not just Woodland and Tiger Stripe, but any and all camo.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I definitely think the green you used on TR has too much yellow in it.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I definitely think the green you used on TR has too much yellow in it.

From images I've seen, it's just about right. Without that little bit of yellow, the green starts relating too much to the black and you lose the pattern at this scale. I've tried several different greens both pre mixed and custom mixed and I haven't found one that works with the pattern as well as olive green.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
From images I've seen, it's just about right. Without that little bit of yellow, the green starts relating too much to the black and you lose the pattern at this scale. I've tried several different greens both pre mixed and custom mixed and I haven't found one that works with the pattern as well as olive green.

I disagree with you, but that's life.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
That's definitely a funky tiger stripe. The black is actually more forest green than black.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm actually thinking of making another Stalker using the dark green instead of the black. I'm assuming they went with the dark green since the original design was a light green with dark green stripes. I think it's a cool way to keep the original color scheme a part of the update.

joesilver

PMC on demand!!!!!!
Jun 3, 2011
Portugal
nice thread this one. here goes a question:
The ROC troop builder pack with the desert team, what is the best and similar color/paint to reproduce their camo???

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Unfortunately, I don't have any of the figures from that pack. So, I can't be of any help there, but maybe someone else will be able to help out.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'd use the "Chocolate Chips" (DBDUs) as my starting point for messing around with the colors.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Other than not painting soldiers fucking blue?

Anyhoo, I did some digging and apparently Tamiya XF-8 is in the ballpark.

Last edited:

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I paint with Testors Model Masters Acrylic, does anyone have a recommendation for the Cobra blue on the 30th Vipers and Cobra Troopers?

I am thinking either Blue Angel Blue or Deep Pearlescent Purple or Dark Blue. Have you guys used any of these?

Testors doesn't have a blue that works. Flat blue from tamiya is pretty close to the troopers

For 30th vipers, I had to make a mix of testors dunkel-something and dark gray.

Stryker927

Cobra Project Manager
Aug 13, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Do you guys know if it is ok to use different types of paint on the figures such as Tamiya for blue but Testors for red? Can they touch? I guess as long as they are both acrylic, it shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks for the tips.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Hell, they should mix together just fine, so one on top of the other is likely ok.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Do you guys know if it is ok to use different types of paint on the figures such as Tamiya for blue but Testors for red? Can they touch? I guess as long as they are both acrylic, it shouldn't matter, right?

Thanks for the tips.

I do it all the time. Wont be a problem at all, They mix well too like KT said. I even mix my gloss testors with Apple barrell sometimes to dull them out or thicken the paint a little for easier drybrushing.

starwarsgeek

Self-explanatory
Aug 1, 2011
New Joisey
www.starwarsgeek.net
Here's a program from Reaper that will help with color matching. Basically, you upload a pic of what you want to color match and it will give you the best Reaper color to use. Which works great for me since I use Reaper paint and have the entire line.

http://www.reapermini.com/powerpalette

But if you use other brands of paint besides Reaper, you can then use one of the charts below to get the approximation from Reaper to another brand like Vallejo or Citadel. Pretty useful.

http://www.paint4models.com/index.html

http://nesbetminiatures.blogspot.com/2010/02/resource-paints-equivalence-charts.html

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

Of course, it's not always 100% accurate, but more often than not I find that the results I get by uploading a photo to the PowerPalette work great.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
That's pretty cool. I wish there was a way to convert Adobe RGB numbers to something like this.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
nice thread this one. here goes a question:
The ROC troop builder pack with the desert team, what is the best and similar color/paint to reproduce their camo???

That's crazy, I came into the thread for the same figures. Specifically the base tan on the figures. The bottom of Dialtone's pants were painted and I accidentally removed the paint. Now I need to find paint that matches base tan to repaint it.

joesilver

PMC on demand!!!!!!
Jun 3, 2011
Portugal
best paint approximation of retaliation mouse body? to be honest i don´t even know if that camo is green, grey or something else:wtf:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
According to their color chart Vallejo looks to have a couple of potential matches.

Talisman

They Call me Sonic.
Jun 15, 2012

fogger1138

SCIENCE!
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Mt Airy, MD
Bumping because, hey, useful thread.

I paint with Testors Model Masters Acrylic, does anyone have a recommendation for the Cobra blue on the 30th Vipers and Cobra Troopers?

I am thinking either Blue Angel Blue or Deep Pearlescent Purple or Dark Blue. Have you guys used any of these?

Anyhoo, I did some digging and apparently Tamiya XF-8 is in the ballpark.

Citadel's Kantor Blue is a perfect match for the PoC/30th Trooper.

Home | Games Workshop Webstore

Note when working with Citadel, though- ALWAYS primer first.

I have to try these - I have some torsos (non-military, so maybe KT won't be offended :trollface:) that I need to match to trooper arms.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
It's worth noting that Testors is no longer making their Floquil/Polyscale and Model Master paint lines. I've been experimenting with Reaper paints from my local comic book store, and I'm digging them for the most part. They have a nice flat finish and a huge variety of colors. Just trying to figure out which colors are going to replace those that I used from Testors.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
FUCK!

*makes note to stock up on Friday*

EDIT:

The post I just saw was from last May, and mentions the Floquil, but states Model Master will remain. Did they about face on this?

Last edited:

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
No more Model Masters?! :eek: :crying:

FUCK!

*makes note to stock up on Friday*

EDIT:

The post I just saw was from last May, and mentions the Floquil, but states Model Master will remain. Did they about face on this?

Looks like I fubarred. Model Master Acrylics do look to still be in production and it looks like they've even updated their "packaging":

Testors

I'm not sure where I read it, but I had read somewhere last week that the Model Master line was being discontinued too, but either I read it wrong, or the source was wrong.

I just wish they hadn't discontinued their Floquil line. Their military themed category of Floquil paints is still by far my favorite. I used to love Model Masters, but after I tried Floquil, I realized how much gloss is even in the flat paints of the MM line. Though, I did read somewhere awhile back, I believe it was Tankster who posted it over on HT, that adding rubbing alcohol to paint nulls the gloss. I have yet to try it though. I'll have to figure out how much to add, if it even works.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Will do.

I've got the perfect project to try it on, if some fucking arms would become available.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Rubbing alcohol does make Model Master paint flat. I just kept adding a couple of drops until it took effect. The paint dries a lot quicker due to the alcohol as well.

gman5004

Call me Garrison
Oct 11, 2016
Pasco, Washington
So, probably covered earlier in the thread, but, what types of paint do you guys use on the rubbery plastic, like what the elite force figures are molded from? Thanks,
Garrison

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I use the cheap "Apple Barrel" brand paint from Wal-Mart. I'm not usually throwing these things against the wall or grinding them with my skate board so the paint holds up pretty good.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Every brand mentioned has its place, even the Apple Barrel and Folk Art cheapies. I like Vallejo, but they can be temperamental.