Painting Vehicles. How do?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I finally took some black Krylon Fusion Spray paint to the hood of that GI Joe Humvee that Hasbro reused for the Hulkbuster vehicle. It did not turn out exactly as I imagined. I think I either used an inappropriate paint, or forgot to take some sandpaper to the thing. I don't know, why don't you guys take a look at it and comment.

I want to paint some other GI Joe vehicles that I have, but I don't know if I should use the Krylon Fusion spray paint, and enamel spray paint, or just acrylics.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
First thing, you need to wash, soap and water, before painting...then dry obviously...you can use enamel paints on hard plastics no problem...if you use it on soft it'll stay sticky forever...

Only reason you need to sand is if the finish is rough or uneven or you made runs...

Go light on your coats...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Krylon Fusion will be fine on hard plastics such as those used on the vehicles.

Did you use Fusion here?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Yeah I used Krylon Fusion paint. I was a little concerned though when it was runny and didn't stick very well.

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
It may be because of the graphic that was on the hood. I has some issues with Fusion sticking to a couple graphics on the Capt America 6 wheeler I just finished up...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah, I wasn't sure if the graphics on that hummer were tampoed or stickers. Tampoed graphics will definitely react with spray paint. Got to get those off, first.

PFunk

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
Echo washing the plastic thoroughly. There's always residual dirt and oils that prevent paint adhesion.

Second, I use Krylon Fusion for a base coat. I airbrush my paint jobs because the layers go on thinner. Enamels cover better, but scratch easier. Acrylics require a couple of coats for maximum coverage, but endure wear and tear MUCH better. Best practice for me has been shoot the colors in enamel and then use an acrylic sealer to prevent scratching. Testors ClearCoat is fine, gloss or flat. Gloss dries slower, but airframes look more realistic. I generally like using the Acryl clears out of an airbrush for the same reason I only use Fusion for a primer coat, it goes on thinner and doesn't run.

Acrylic paints dry FAST. REALLY fast, so you better have the paint exactly where you wanted it. The good news is that after it dries, you can do touch-ups pretty soon after. Enamels require about 24 hours drying time before they can be safely handled. Also, the thinners associated with airbrushing enamels are pretty dangerous to inhale. Respirators are a must. Acrylics are safer, but you still probably don't want to inhale atomized plastic. A lot of acrylics can be shot right out of the bottle, but you can thin them very easily, Windex is best. It should be as opaque as milk.

Brands? Start cheap and get fancy after you've gotten some experience. Model Masters Acryl works great, doesn't require thinning. Tamiya acrylics do, but they look really good. Enamels? I love Humbrol, but it's expensive as hell.

Most of all, do exactly what you just did: ask questions. There's guys in here who have been customizing figures and vehicles since the first Reagan Administration. I am a rank amateur compared to the guys in this place.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Yeah, I don't have an air brush. I guess I'll have to go get one. Thanks for the tips.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
An airbrush is a good investment, and it doesn't take long to get the hang of. I got mine from a local auto parts shop for about $30.
I already had a 2-horsepower compressor and regulator so I figured I'd get more use out of them.

I'll try to get a few photos of my airbrush-painted Chap Mei troop truck.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
As promised, here's a WIP pic.

I used Tamiya acrylic, thinned appropriately. It dried within minutes to a dead-flat finish.

Should look even better after some weathering.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It needs some damn stepsides and some hand-holds! :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
If I had a gun in mind I'd get one and turn it into a technical. It might also be a nice base for an M109-like shop van.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It would do fine. It would be a little simple for my tastes, though.

Hell, If I had one I could put a Maxon quad on it.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Yup. If I could find a McFarlane MGS Vulcan Raven minigun I could do a VADS technical truck. Real world? No, but it would LOOK cool.

Some steel plate shielding.....

Shit, Katyusha rails, or rocket tubes in general would be simple to pull off....

Last edited: