PTE Chinese Aerial Rocket Helicopter - PIC HEAVY

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
Forum member Melvin helped me obtain this from China recently (US$89 shipped to Australia). It's the World Peacekeepers Z-9W rocket chopper from M&C Toys/Puzzle Animation Studio.

A bit of background: The Zhi-9 (Z-9) army utility helicopter is a license-built version of the Aérospatiale (now Eurocopter) AS 365N Dauphin II.

For some unknown reason, the one sold in the US doesn't have the rockets (despite bearing the "Rocket Helicopter" name).
Interestingly, a glance at the enclosed leaflet lists the US-release version as a rescue chopper, with hi-vis life vests for the figures, as well as a bunch of tools, crates, a life preserver, and the folding ladder and gurney we all know from Marauder Inc.:

Here's the rocket chopper on the leaflet.

Unboxed. The launch tubes on the left-hand side were mounted backwards in the package.
The chopper comes with 3 figures, 2 PASGT-type helmets, 2 rifles, 2 road cones, 4 barricade fence sections, 1 jerry can and 1 oil drum. Lots of useful stuff.

The missile tubes are all removable, with peg-and-hole mounting points.
UPDATE 19 Oct 2012: These are apparently launch tubes for HJ-8 wire-guided anti-tank missiles, similar to the TOW.

Front view.

Two types of rocket pod are also included. (UPDATE 19 Oct 2012: 57mm and 90mm unguided rockets)
Only the forward-facing ends have any detail, the pods themselves are completely devoid of it.

The armaments can all be mounted on either pylon.

It wouldn't take much work to mount the loadouts from other PTE aircraft onto the chopper. These are from the A-10 (which I painted), but I suppose the bombs and ECM pods would be a bit pointless. The weaponry from the AH-6, F-18 or Su-27 would probably work just as well.

Close-up of some of the accessories - jerry can, cones, Type 95 assault rifle with grenade launcher, and Type 88 sniper rifle.
The cones are a bit rubbery with sloppy paint application, but the rifles are of good quality (not bendy or soft like many PTE weapons).

A sticker sheet of PLA markings is also included.

"You guys seen my rifle and helmet?" The PLA figures are more realistically proportioned than their Power Team Elite brethren, but are moulded in a slightly more flexible material, which can cause some joints to stick a bit (it also means they can hold poses better). I have several of them, and they all have a bent/warped left ankle which can cause balance issues.

Rear 3/4 views of the helo. The nose wheels on mine were a bit crooked, but I was able to bend them straight. And no, the landing gear doesn't retract, but that's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned.

With the extra accessories and weapons, I would say the Z-9 is a far better toy than the stripped-down chopper available in the US. Hell, even the Chinese "slick" version comes with a lot of cool diorama items.

Despite the additional cost of shipping it from China, I'm quite happy with it and I already have plans to repaint and customize it into a badass-'80s-action-movie-type gunship.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Thanks for the review, Fled. DEFINITELY better than the North American release.

About my only real complaint is that I would have liked to have seen the weapons doubled up, or at least the 2.75" (whatever the Chinese equivalent is, I can't find it myself) and 90mm rocket pods, simply because on occasion I like a symetrical loadout.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Very cool version of this toy...ours is rather boring...I really like the rescue version too...all the extras it comes with makes it pretty cool in its own right...

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
About my only real complaint is that I would have liked to have seen the weapons doubled up, or at least the 2.75" (whatever the Chinese equivalent is, I can't find it myself) and 90mm rocket pods, simply because on occasion I like a symetrical loadout.

Same, but the only way that'll happen is if I buy one more helo, then I'll have TWO with symmetrical loadouts. :)

I want the sticker sheet.

I'll only need a few numbers from it; you're welcome to the rest when I'm done.

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
Been meaning to get the PTE Aerial Rocket Helicopter for sometime.

I suppose the version we get is the Western one, but with all the bells and whistles and older PTE figures.

I'd love to find the PLA soldiers domestically. They look pretty good.

Frmanlo

The Unwashed
Sep 24, 2012
The weapons were a Kind 97 with drum mag and opportunity, and Kind 95s with different attachments

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
sucks, the american release dont have stickers or bombs. i like this one way better. i can't believe it cost you that much money from china when you're not that far from it.
nice pics fled..

Darkwind01

Enlisted
Nov 19, 2012
Like this bird alot, but gave it my own touch of work. . .

Attachments

• IMG_20120307_222116.jpg
    IMG_20120307_222116.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20120306_181130.jpg
    IMG_20120306_181130.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20120306_181641.jpg
    IMG_20120306_181641.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 34

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Nice! You didn't ruin Gundam MSIA accessories for that did you? OR are those just from model kits?

Darkwind01

Enlisted
Nov 19, 2012
Nice! You didn't ruin Gundam MSIA accessories for that did you? OR are those just from model kits?

Relax. . .
Model kit parts. . .
Got tons of the stuff from my time in Japan.
I don't have any real Gundam figs anymore, I sold them a long time ago when we moved to the states.
I am more of a Macross/MASK/Transformers/GI Joe fan.
But my toy collection is still very diverse.
Check it out here. . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkwind01/sets/72157601444997315/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/darkwind01/sets/72157594404360962/

Mswi

Teabagging Ninja
Feb 16, 2012
that is a pretty cool chopper! anyone have pics of the figures from the "recue" version?

Mswi

Teabagging Ninja
Feb 16, 2012
yep the one with the guys wearing the life vests. Never seen those figures up north here

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I saw the non rescue one at a toy zam around Xmas. I was tempted but I have too many damn vehicles.

Darkwind01

Enlisted
Nov 19, 2012
I know the one he means, there is a review floating around with the pics of it too.
Not sure where it was posted though. . .

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
So, I went back to Toy Zam because this review convinced me to get the rocket version of this helo and they were closed for good.

Sucks because I could still see it in the window.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
I have never even heard of a rescue version, nevermind seeing it.

Here was my custom I did of mine a while back:

Goldbug

BND
Mar 15, 2011
Smallville, IL
goldbug.yolasite.com
So, I went back to Toy Zam because this review convinced me to get the rocket version of this helo and they were closed for good.

Sucks because I could still see it in the window.

Yeah they are only open during the holidays.

The rescue version wouldn't be a custom would it? I know the coast guard uses the same type of helicopter. China makes them themselves under license.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
The Canadian version had the rockets and missiles. I don't know anyone that order one of these to confirm if the payload is present.

Psycho Joe Guy

Enlisted
Mar 5, 2013
Forgot to mention: the US version I had also ships with only a pilot and gunner, no third crewman, and is missing two of the fence sections. I had two and sold them both and every one I saw was packed this way MIB. They went via eBay to Brazil.