question - Gluing Shapeways plastic

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Can anyone tell me what glue to use on Shapeways frosted plastic? I had a piece break and tried using superglue on it, but it doesn't seem to be holding. Conversley, I've also glued some parts together that were just flat side to flat side, and while they seem to be holding, I'm wondering if they will fall off (and disappear) if I so much as sneeze on them?

I know clamping would be a necessity, but the part in question can not be clamped.

I also can't pin the parts, they are too thin and delicate and drilling this stuff ain't easy in the first place.

This frosted plastic is great for detail, but it's shit in ever other regard. And this itty-bitty thing cost me WAY TOO MUCH to just let it go.

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Honestly, I haven't had much success gluing SW's parts.

I haven't personally tried what I'm about to suggest on SW parts, but I've great success with it on other kinds of plastic.

I was trying to find something that would bond the Little Tykes kind of plastic and that cement was suggested (it didn't work...NOTHING does). I tried it on some plastic piece and styrene and it works really really well. Might be worth a shot if you have some lying around.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I don't think SW plastic is PVC based, so that stuff might not work...but I do appreciate the suggestion.

I suppose the old two part epoxy stuff would work, like JB Weld. That stuff works on just about anything.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Any brand or name in particular? I've got all sorts of glue, although some of it is waaaaay past it's life expectancy.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
The issue is microscopic pockets of wax. Nothing sticks to wax. You can use low heat to try to draw it out, but it makes a textured surface. I wanted to try that method used to fix model aircraft canopies but I've kind of moved onto black acrylate.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
What? Wax??!! Why the Hell is there wax inside this stuff? And how the hell do I fix a broken area that has wax on it?

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
Wax is used as a support material. You need a support material to build a print

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Oh. I thought the parts were "grown"...to use a better term, from the ground up, thus negating any sort of support. I thought I had seen some 3D printers do that.

Well, I guess I'm screwed if wax gets inside a structure, which causes it to break. This sucks because the part that broke was the main spoke of a tri-pod that a large gun rests on. Really hard to fix even under the best circumstances.

I tried super glue and the broken point seems to be holding...but I don't know if it will stay that way if any sort of weight is applied. In the mean-time...I added superglue around the break and covered that with tissue paper. Once it all dries, I'm hoping it will act as a solid sleeve and add stability to it.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
I did build it thicker by using superglue soaked tissue paper. It seems to be doing fine at the moment, I'll just have to handle it very carefully from now on.

Gig, what does soaking the parts in alcohol do?