QUESTIONS Regarding Elite Force

TheFatMaster

Enlisted
May 3, 2011
Greetings, gang.

I have some questions. Hoping I can get some helpful feedback.

Black Hawk Down is one of my favorite military action movies. Was thinking about finally getting an MH-6 Little Bird copter for my 3 3/4" G.I.Joes and maybe even a UH-60 Black Hawk.

Question 1) Are the toys from the company "Elite Force" generally liked / approved of in these forums?

Question 2) Are there any other toy companies that y'all would recommend for those particular helicopters?

Please advise.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Bbi is pretty good. Better than anything you're ever gonna get from Hasbro.

That said, you aren't likely to find a Blackhawk from them for cheap these days. If you're on a budget you're gonna have to make do with a PTE or True Heroes Blackhawk.

Joescale (as opposed to proper 1:18), but still miles ahead of Hasbro.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
KT is right...
Bbi Elite Force has very nice blackhawks but you are looking at about $175 for it. The MH6 will probably run you about $30-40 give or take.

The True Heroes/PTE blackhawk isn't bad at all. Just a little small and not as detailed as Bbi's. Their littlebird is pretty sweet. I have a few of them. They have the miniguns that BBi's version does not, but they are not a detailed.

Think of Bbi's helos as "for display" and PTE/True Heores as 'playtime". At least, thats how I look at it.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
if you're not on a budget, there are a few other great helos available too, but they are $$$$$

Bbi Apache

Motorworks

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
21st Century Toys. Motorworks is a logo on a box.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I believe the only Blackhawks you'll find nowadays are BBI (detailed but overpriced) and World Peackeepers/PTE and True Heroes (cheap and cheerful).

I display my BBI and PTE Blackhawks and Little Birds together and they look good.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Blasphemy!

I also add about Bbi is that if one were to "autorotate" from the ceiling I'd fully expect to just put parts back on and not completely rebuild it like a 21st bird.

TheFatMaster

Enlisted
May 3, 2011
THANK YOU, everyone for the feedback. Very grateful here.

You guys aren't kidding. I went poking around eBay yesterday & learned that the Black Hawks now go for, what, in excess of a 100 bucks? Kinda rich for my taste but I guess I can save up. There's always Christmas! LOL One could be a gift to myself.

The Little Birds don't seem as bad, price-wise, but they, too, are getting scarce.

The Apaches are awesome, Eddie! I can't remember HOW I became a fan of the Apaches years ago (maybe saw something on t.v.?) but I remember them as being a badass attack heli. I should get one of those Cobra copters as well but my heart is just too tied to my G.I.Joe "Dragonfly". Ah. Maybe I'll get a Cobra, anyway, if I can manage to afford it.

Priorities right now are the Little Bird AND a Black Hawk. If I miss the boat (or the heli, in this case) with the Black Hawk, I'll have no one to blame but myself (& my empty wallet).

Gotta get back to work, folks. Thanks again for the replies & I'll try to write more later!

TheFatMaster

Enlisted
May 3, 2011
P.S. How is "JoeScale" defined versus proper 1:18th? Collecting G.I.Joe toys over the years, I HAVE noticed that some things look disproportionate. Some characters have bigger heads than others (literally, not figuratively). Is 1:18 bigger or smaller than 3 3/4"? Maybe my questions are getting stupid now.

Fled74

Opinionated Arsehole
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
HobbyStop.webs.com
I think "Joe-compatible" would be a more accurate description. The PTE Blackhawk and A-10, for instance, are underscaled and "selectively compressed", but are made for Joe-size figures.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
1:18th is basically 3 3/4" figures...star wars, joes, marvel universe etc...wish DC would do a GOOD 1:18th line

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
On a budget, you are better off sticking with the Skystriker or other type of things for the 50 dollars and below price range.

BBI is essentially a "limited edition" style company these days, complete with individual certificates assigned to each of their modern releases.

That said, it's really a question of what you are willing to pay in terms of quality 1:18 scale stuff.

BBI has a new "Sidewinders" release of the F/A-18 coming out, and it's about 160 dollars. Yes, you could buy about 4 or so Skystrikers for that price, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

This:

http://www.fighting118th.com/2012/03/01/new-bbi-fa-18c-incoming/comment-page-1/#comment-301

or

This:

http://www.hasbrotoyshop.com/gi-joe-combat-jet-sky-striker-xp-21f-vehicle?BR=520&ST=SO&PG=1

Bravestarr

Molon Labe!
Founder
Mar 15, 2011
BTW, no one on this website is going to think any less of you if you cannot afford BBI stuff or similar expensive items.

We are living in an Obama economy, afterall, so it's understandable why many folks don't have much money to spend these days on toys.

loadedtomcat

Magnificent Bastard
Mar 18, 2011
BTW, no one on this website is going to think any less of you if you cannot afford BBI stuff or similar expensive items.

I will. Its an elitist thing, you wouldn't understand.

Seriously though, I think we're more fascinated with the toy aspect. Sure we all have a BBi or similar high quality bird on our wish list but that doesn't mean we don't appreciate the more economic options. Some of the best pics and dio shots I've seen used the PTE Blackhawk.

TheFatMaster

Enlisted
May 3, 2011
Thanks, Bravestarr & all.

No worries. I'm not trying to impress anyone & go broke in the process.

As with most toy collectors (I'm guessing), I just have a vision of what I'd like my collection to look like. I hope to get the best helicopter replicas available, within reason.

In most years past, I typically focused on the Joe characters. Vehicles have usually been an afterthought for me. [Especially as a kid since collecting vehicles back then ESPECIALLY could get expensive & out of my allowance budget.]

But I do loves my military movies, thus the heli collecting inspiration.

I noticed that air support always plays a big part in the movies I like. Black Hawk Down. Tears of the Sun. Saving Private Ryan. "Angels on our shoulders.". If it's not armed jets, it's the copters.

Lots of fun toys to be had out there. Ah.

Thanks again for the great feedback, guys. I will be looking at all the picture strings of the stuff that you guys already have for more inspiration.

I gotta say, a next step would be remote controlled toys or conversions. Again, just way beyond my budget. But the thought of an RC Little Bird & an RC Black Hawk is just too cool not to entertain. Looked stuff like that up on YouTube already. Problem is, it's tough to go RC for the 1:18th scale AND be able to fit figures in the vehicles!

pcsguy88

Deuce Deuce
Staff member
Mar 14, 2011
KC
www.fighting118th.com
I just sold the 3 bbi Blackhawk Down birds for $200 in a bargain package deal a few weeks ago. It's ridiculous that they have risen in value so much. Took me a few years to get all 3 at reasonable cost or trade value and hurt to sell them.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not really. They're quite a bit chunkier than they should be, with shorter main rotors and tailboom. The Type 92 isn't terribly off nor is the Chinese FAV.

Joescale adj \ˈjÅ￾ˈ-skÄ￾l\

a term used to describe an object, usually a vehicle, that is compatible with 3.75-4" action figures but is not scaled or proportioned properly.

I grew up around Army Aviation, especially Hueys before they left the inventories, so when that 21st Huey came along I had to have it, and after a while it occured to me that Joe vehicles simply would not do. At all.

There was a time when you could buy Bbi stuff in Target and TrU, but those days have gone like the ones of 1.00 dollar gas.

As always in a hobby, buy what you like, but be prepared for some vicious (but good-natured) ribbing if you come up in here with Hasbro vehicles!

TheFatMaster

Enlisted
May 3, 2011
MORE QUESTIONS!:

Typically, for most deployments of Black Hawks, are they delivered by C130s or do they tend to fly in directly from aircraft carriers? I'm guessing "case by case basis" would be the answer but wanted to get some feedback. Any military folks here that can share some insight?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
An-124s, C-5s and sometimes C-17s. They're flown to theater then fly themselves to their operating bases.

thelegoguy

Enlisted
Mar 16, 2011
That big R/C is a C-17. Pretty damn sweet one too. C-130 is a prop-job. I would love to have a 1:18 c-130 big it would be massive. Closest you could get is the true Heroes version.

Red, I have one of those Scorpions in a million pieces that is/was being painted aircraft gray. I will eventually finish it and post the pics...some day.

Last edited: