Removing tattoos

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
I've heard eraser removes logos and such from Joes. I've never tried it before, but I asked over at HT a year or so back, and that's what they told me.

They also said it could ruin the gloss on the figure as well. Leaving a mark that you can see it was altered. Someone suggested that the rubbing your finger on it right after could diminish the effect. Something about the oils in your skin or something.

I'm sure someone more experience can come in here and verify or give better (seasoned) advice.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't think there's any non-chemical means of stripping it without marring the surrounding flesh.

Midget

Resident Jarhead
Mar 14, 2011
Old Dominion
I've removed Resolute SE's ninja tat with a small bit of lacquer thinner on a q-tip. A VERY small bit. And then make sure that you wipe it all up with a dry q-tip.

flint-wo2

Enlisted
Jun 4, 2011
New Zealand
I've heard eraser removes logos and such from Joes. I've never tried it before, but I asked over at HT a year or so back, and that's what they told me.

They also said it could ruin the gloss on the figure as well. Leaving a mark that you can see it was altered. Someone suggested that the rubbing your finger on it right after could diminish the effect. Something about the oils in your skin or something.

I'm sure someone more experience can come in here and verify or give better (seasoned) advice.

I don't think there's any non-chemical means of stripping it without marring the surrounding flesh.

I've removed Resolute SE's ninja tat with a small bit of lacquer thinner on a q-tip. A VERY small bit. And then make sure that you wipe it all up with a dry q-tip.
Thanks guys I will try that.
Is night adders skin black plastic?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I don't follow. The skin is molded in that dark brown plastic, so you shouldn't need to match any paint up.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I have removed logos and tattoos with lacquer thinner, and repainted the affected area with matching paint. I have also polished sanded plastic with my oily fingers. The sandpaper has to be fine grit to begin with.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I don't follow. The skin is molded in that dark brown plastic, so you shouldn't need to match any paint up.

You would have to paint-match if you can't polish the affected plastic. Chemicals like lacquer thinner make the plastic dull, removes shine.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
I also boil the figure I want to remove paint from. Hot paint is weaker it seems or its because the plastic is more flexible or the hot water aids in removal. not sure why it is but paint seems to come off way easier when it is hot.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
I also boil the figure I want to remove paint from. Hot paint is weaker it seems or its because the plastic is more flexible or the hot water aids in removal. not sure why it is but paint seems to come off way easier when it is hot.

Most paints don't truly bond to any surface. They merely dry and remain in place because of the vacuum that has formed. Subjecting the paint to heat destabilizes the molecules, which releases the vacuum.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
You can use nail polish remover (the kind with acetone), but I recommend doing it by a sink with running water. The reason is that you want to rub the spot with acetone for only brief periods of time (10-15 seconds), put the figure under water and rinse before it starts eating at the plastic, dry it off and start the process over. This is the safest method using acetone in which you don't have to worry about it eating the plastic.

Another method is to use very very fine sand paper. I use 800 grit and it seems to work fine without marring the plastic.

red4

Enlisted
Feb 25, 2012
When lacquer thinner and a q-tip don't get into tight crevices, I actually carve the paint out with an X-acto knife.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
ttt recomends, rubbing alc, and elbow grease, many recomend nail polish remover with acetone, i have this stuff called desolv-it. it worked well on the softer plastic with some elbow grease,( cleaned roc zartans face right up,he became a joe right after) i tried it on the harder plastic, but was becoming to much of a chore and it wasn't worth it to further on because i wasn't really trying to remove it other than just to see if it would work..

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
I have used BRASSO in the past...but it takes some elbow grease....basically BRASSO is liquid polish for sliver and brass...you put some on a Q-tip and polish away the logo or tat. I have had varying degrees of success pending on the color and the plastic the part is made out of.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I've used denatured alcohol. You can find it in the paint section in Wal-Mart.

It won't melt the plastic like acetone. It will leave a slight foggy spot, but I usually just rub the figure with natural oils from your skin afterwards. If rubbing it with your hands won't work, you may need to add just a little oil from your face. Sounds gross, but that usually fixes it for me. If it grosses you out, you can always wash the figure later, but for some reason, this is some weird fix that I've found that works, and it's cheap.

I think Storm Rider's tats are on top of painted flesh, though. So that'd take off the factory flesh paint down to the underlying black plastic.

Certain colors come off much easier than others. Usually black tattoos come off pretty easily from the Hasbro factory flesh plastic.

Byrnes

Ghetto Fabulous
Feb 29, 2012
I have only removed the camo lines from Tunnel Rats arms but the exacto knife scrapping method worked perfect for me.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I actually removed another Tunnel Rat's arm camo this weekend. I used an X-acto to scrape off most of it, then very fine sandpaper to clean it up. Those arms (Hasbro "white flesh" plastic) tend to scrape off fairly well, though.

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
I've used denatured alcohol. You can find it in the paint section in Wal-Mart.

It won't melt the plastic like acetone. It will leave a slight foggy spot, but I usually just rub the figure with natural oils from your skin afterwards. If rubbing it with your hands won't work, you may need to add just a little oil from your face. Sounds gross, but that usually fixes it for me. If it grosses you out, you can always wash the figure later, but for some reason, this is some weird fix that I've found that works, and it's cheap.

I think Storm Rider's tats are on top of painted flesh, though. So that'd take off the factory flesh paint down to the underlying black plastic.

Certain colors come off much easier than others. Usually black tattoos come off pretty easily from the Hasbro factory flesh plastic.

i used paint thinner and did the same thing, it was cloudy, but rubeed it with my finger and it was shiney