Retaliation Jinx sucks.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
It is only appropriate and ironic that the G.I. Joe team member named Jinx has had bad luck in the action figure realm. Not only was Jinx chosen to be two different highly expensive SDCC exclusive figures, but her one contemporary figure that was suppose to be available for retail is also expensive, difficult to find on shelves, and to top it off, a bad action figure.

Hasbro blatantly does not care if their products are of high quality. A lot of recent cinematic figure lines are a testament to that fact. Jinx's Retaliation figure is just another victim of Hasbro's corner cutting and down right cheating in order to get an overpriced product released without the expensive of doing good work. I honestly don't understand why G.I. Joe fans put so much value on this figure. She goes for almost $20 on Ebay everyday and yet she is blatantly not worth it. The quality of the figure is that of a $5 figure, and the community is over rating her.

Let's talk about why it's a bad figure. The first and most glaring issue is the paint work. There was minimal effort put into making sure this figure had a clean paint job. There are blotches of black paint in the yellow areas of her suit, and the black stripes have blotches of yellow paint in them.

The areas on her arms where the black stripes meet the yellow portions are not clean. Instead the two paint fields bleed into each other.

Her headband is inexplicably painted yellow on the sides, but black on her forehead, which doesn't make since because the detail there shows that the head band is all one piece and looks jarring. All of this culminates into one of the messiest looking G.I. Joe figures I've ever bought.

Her legs aren't much better about the paint.

I've seen custom figures made by amateurs with cleaner paint work. Unfortunately, the problems don't end at the deplorable paint apps. The next problem with the figure is plastic quality. Most of her body is made of a reasonably sturdy plastic, the kind that most G.I. Joe figures were made from before the Retaliation line introduced figures with a poor, soft, rubbery plastic. Jinx's lower legs and feet are made from a rough feeling plastic that is easily bent and rubbery. It's jarring to feel the pleasant plastic that the head, arms, torso, and upper legs are made of and then suddenly feel the crummy feeling plastic that her lower legs are made of when you try to make her do a ninja pose.

The last major problem of the figure is the fact that her right hand can barely hold the weapons she comes with. She is very frustrating to pose because the ninja weapons fall out of her hand all the time. It's very annoying! She comes with a bunch of different martial arts weapons and they won't stay in her grip. It reminds me of how "ultimate" Duke came with an arsenal of assault rifles but he wasn't pose-able enough to get into a proper firing position, thus defeating the purpose.

She also comes with this folding box that opens up and the weapons can be stored in it. The POC Recondo axes do not fit inside it very well. The instructions mention that a sting unfolds from it so she can zip-line down it. I assume this is so kids could reenact the film. There is a pathetic amount of string. No child could do anything with this. A child would be better off taking the shoe lases out of an old pair of worn out shoes, and then putting a paper clip on it.

This figure is yet another epitome of Hasbro's grievous attempts to cut production costs while trying to rip off their customers. The figure looks messy, the lower legs feel bad, and she can't hold her weapons. She is an ugly inaction figure. Figures like this really make me miss the good old days of ROC, POC, and the 30th lines. We use to not pay more than $7 or $8 for a G.I. Joe. Now Hasbro tries to sell figures at $10 each and the quality of their products have dropped as dramatically as the prices have risen. I can't recommend this figure to anyone. If you really want a contemporary figure of this character, it would probably be a better investment to just pay for one of the SDCC exclusive ones. It would be a waste of time to get this figure.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I still want her because I have a custom planned that would be unfazed by 90% of her issues.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Customs would probably be the only reason anyone would want this figure, but let me ask you, are you willing to pay about $19 for her? I have my doubts.

Falcone

Green Beret
Feb 20, 2012
WI
I've had dozens of Jinx's in hand and most of those paint problems I have never seen. The black lines aren't always crisp, but you really have to look hard to see it. The soft lower legs don't bother me as I haven't noticed a drop in durability from it. I personally love this figure and have many customs planned out with them.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
How did you get dozens of Jinx figures?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I hate living in south eastern Kentucky. Even if I moved to Lexington or Louisville where TRU stores are plentiful, I'd still be hard pressed to find the figures I want because it's Kentucky and no one here has any kind of work ethic and everyone here is unpatriotic. I don't know why but Kentucky retailers just straight up hate G.I. Joe. Retaliation wave 1 has kind of given them a reason though.

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
They were hardly ever in stores...it's all about the online hunt for them.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
I've lucked out. I've found pieces of wave 3/4 at TRU Expresses and on one occasion at a Meijers.

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
Still, what kind of contract with Satan does one have to sign in order to find this stuff on TRU.com? Doesn't this kind of stuff go out of stock within hours of being posted?

lancelot

Ď̵͓̲̬̮͜͝ȉ̶̜̝̙͙͕̀̽ͦͯ͗ ̟gͨ
Mar 19, 2011
I'm still not very impressed with the figure. At least she's pose-able. I'm still peeved that she can't really hold her weapons too. Even Rza can hold weapons. The retaliation wave 1 Red Ninja also can't hold his weapons. I'm not even going to take the plastic band off his right hand. At least the silly zip line gimmick that he comes with is a little more justifiable. There's got to be about 6 ft of string that he comes with, whereas the zip-line that Jinx comes with is only 6 inches. If they're going to fall through with a gimmick it shouldn't suck.

At least Olympus makes a camera that can make them look decent.

Videoviper

illuminati
Officer Club
Aug 15, 2012
Behind a camera watching you!
I like my version better....

Ctrl_Z

Enlisted
May 6, 2011
I inexplicably found her at retail. I don't buy too many Joes these days, but this figure I like.

Monte Williams

Geek Creek Kitbasher
Apr 17, 2013
Twin Falls, Idaho
www.flickr.com
I got lucky with the paint apps on mine; the head looked like garbage, but luckily I wasn't planning to use the head anyway.

My only issue is the rocker ankles, which I hate.

I think she has a cool look, evocative of The Bride (and, by extension, Bruce Lee).

I use her as April O'Neil:

Apr 30, 2014
I agree that the figure is overrated and overpriced. If I ever decide to get Jinx(which is doubtful at the moment) into my collection I definitely would not get this figure. With the yellow and black colors on the figure, I think she would make a cool Beatrix Kiddo(the main character from the Kill Bill movies) than Jinx.

Vortious

Officer II
Feb 13, 2013
$20?!?! I got mine for $15 shipped from a seller on ebay, and no he wasn't from China he's located in Illinois.

blackrazor1

Enlisted
Dec 25, 2013
$20?!?! I got mine for $15 shipped from a seller on ebay, and no he wasn't from China he's located in Illinois.

I think I bought two from the same guy.

She does have problems holding her staff, but she holds her swords just fine. The black paint on the forearms has the slight overspray. I probably wouldn't have paid, if I hadn't read this review. Mine doesn't have any of the other paint issues mentioned in the review. The headband is just painted the match the deco on the movie mask. I think lancelot just got a badly painted sample.

It would have been nice if they had made movie accurate sculpts for Jinx and Lady Jaye, but I can at least have a more traditional female ninja body to go with the Renegade Storm Shadow sculpt now.

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
Paint on the one I got from Tria is just fine. Holding staff is an issue. I love the Bruce Lee colors.

Don't forget some people are finding these at 5 Below, Ross and Tuesday Mornings for 5 bucks.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
And if you don't have one of those, she's turning up at TrUs again for a sawbuck. She's worth retail, and no more.

Any tips on getting her apart. Past experience with Retaliation figures rules out the vice/channel lock method.

GIMark

Enlisted
May 13, 2013
Damn sounds like bad luck, I have found a crap ton of her int he wild, both at TRU and 5 Below and all have had great paint apps, very very happy with this figure, not one bad fig in the many I have bought and traded

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I've also had over a dozen of this figure in hand,shes usually they're on the pegs next to or behind the three dozen or so night vipers Ive gotten so far..

^
No ton o' jinx pics,cause I figured nobody cares about that figure...till now,lol. If you where local I'd led you pick out the one you feel is best from them all:D same goes for the NV's,cause I'm gonna start passing on them. I think Ive got my fill,and hooked up enough friends to counter the straight raw dogging Ive been involved in on eBay:D and before the "oh,your a scalper" stuff...no,I give it back like I take it! I have a serious shocktrooper addiction,and my backside is wallowed slap out from all the hits Ive taken,so I'm just returning the favor. Someone's gotta pay,and it ain't fiddna be me,at least not everytime:D

I really haven't noticed the paint issues? Of coarse Ive only personally openened one,and that was for my son(he has every retaliation figure). I have the red version,she was $20(which doesn't qualify as expensive in my book,justsayin) I got her,because she looks like the one I had as a kid..

^
No,the paint isn't missing off the chin..reflection/crappy phone camera.

The yellow ones where $9.99...

Oh,and please don't PM me about the NV's I don't trade or sell on forums..UNLESS you have a steel brigade delta V1 or V2 to pony up,or your on my friends list we got nothing to discuss.:p

Last edited:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
No need to worry about NV'son this board. We like figures that have function and look useful outside of comedic value. :D

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
SB Delta is worth 4 NVs. I'd go so far to say that SB Delta is a better base for a Night Viper than the NV itself!

All hail the superiority of the Shock Trooper buck in its entirety!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
No need to worry about NV'son this board. We like figures that have function and look useful outside of comedic value. :D

^
I feel the same way! That's why they're still carded,lol

^

So...pour it on you mangina? lol. Jk:D

SB Delta is worth 4 NVs. I'd go so far to say that SB Delta is a better base for a Night Viper than the NV itself!

All hail the superiority of the Shock Trooper buck in its entirety!

^
Agreed. Can't blame me for trying,lol. Always start low...

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Yea, ST's set the bar pretty high. A lot of POC stuff did honestly. A shame that was a one and done deal.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
Yea, ST's set the bar pretty high. A lot of POC stuff did honestly. A shame that was a one and done deal.

^
That's the only figures I actually collect. Thankfully hasbro keeps reusing the mold. It effs with me that they changed their feet tho! Wtf?!?

Ain't going to name any names:D but in my days at the other board I traded one NV for a SBD,and 2 POA night fox bricks for two ret.invasion troopers. I still go to bed smiling off that one,lol.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I saw crazy numbers of STs at retail. Not one goddamn movie-accurate Trooper.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
^
That's the only figures I actually collect. Thankfully hasbro keeps reusing the mold. It effs with me that they changed their feet tho! Wtf?!?

Ain't going to name any names:D but in my days at the other board I traded one NV for a SBD,and 2 POA night fox bricks for two ret.invasion troopers. I still go to bed smiling off that one,lol.

The stuff "true fans" do for nostalgia. Makes me laugh and sick at the same time. Gotta get them when they are fresh and there is a panic.

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
^
I still trip at the price my beloved SBD pulls now! I seen a used one with "loose joints,and paint wear" as stated in the description pull some serious cheddar last night. I was watching it thinking..when reality sets in,I'll buy it. I always can use parts SBD. I have 3 with the "defect" but $50 for a figure that was free with a vamp is retarded IMO. Even if I didn't already have a shit ton of them,I ain't fiddna pay it.justsayin.

If I was 100% sure I could get $50 each for mine,I'd sell them all! But I know I'm not lucky like that. Besides,I'd flood the market with them,and they'd be $10 in no time. It took me two years to acumulate mine through gangster bidding,and shrude trading,lol

Last edited: