Review: Zombie Viper (GI Joe 30th anniversary)

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Figure:

The zombie viper is one of the more interesting figures Hasbro has come up with in the "modern era". Of course not everyone likes zombies but it is an interesting concept. A soldier that can go non stop and is even more powerful than before. And just in case, they are strapped with pipe bombs. On the file card is says they are wearing barbed wire but it looks to be regular web gear.

Articulation includes his wrists, ankles and all the other areas that the GI Joe figures have. The blue (compound Z) on the figure is a bit to "toony" but that can easily be fixed with a little paint.

Last edited by a moderator:

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Accessories:

The zombie viper does not come with much. Two tentacle arms, a containment helmet and the compound Z container. The tentacles are a bit of an overkill but then again, so is a zombie. :D The arms pop off similar to a B.A.T. You could even put the robot attachments on if so inclined.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Accessories:

The containment helmet is a bit different than the Lamprey helmet. It has three holes in the back of it. Perhaps they originally planned on more tubes going into it. Considering how many holes are in the back of the web gear that could have been a possibility.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Ugh, gotta find and paint a bunch of these. You gotta have at least 4 so you can do one with the full canister and piping rig, dragging it's mutant arms.

MAJOR BLOOD

Size matters
Staff member
Mar 13, 2011
Yea, they do need some paint. The blue snot just doesn't cut it. Seems they were kind of going for a Bio Viper with the tentacles.

Monkeywrench

00coathanger
Mar 14, 2011
Yea, they do need some paint. The blue snot just doesn't cut it. Seems they were kind of going for a Bio Viper with the tentacles.

This^^

I really do think that this figure was either intended to be a bio viper or they took plans/protos of a Bio Viper and combined it with a zombie viper and made this.

Very nice photos, thanks for the review.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Ugh, gotta find and paint a bunch of these. You gotta have at least 4 so you can do one with the full canister and piping rig, dragging it's mutant arms.

yeah, i'd love to see one with the full canister alotment hooked up...prolly look pretty cool...

Seems they were kind of going for a Bio Viper with the tentacles.

so glad they went the zombie route...had this been B-V, we'd all be trying to unload them on the HT "i'll take anything you stick in my throat" morons

Dr Syn

humerus
Mar 27, 2011
This^^

I really do think that this figure was either intended to be a bio viper or they took plans/protos of a Bio Viper and combined it with a zombie viper and made this.

Very nice photos, thanks for the review.

Plus they really, really wanted to do a follow up figure to the Toxo-Zombie.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Barbed wire? Pipe bombs? Seriously? They should have gone with the barbed wire...would have made them that much more bad-ass.

I suppose a few coils of BW that came with Dusty could easily be straightened out and added.

I wonder about the reason for the pipe bombs. To explode and spread compound Z?
Suicide bombers? I would think pipe bombs being strapped to these guys would work against them, all it would take is a well placed shot by LL to take them out, but I suppose that would also cause alot of collateral damage?

The more I think about it, the more dirty this sounds on behalf of Cobra...and I like it!

Fantastic review MB, and superb photos!

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
hmmm, pipe bombs. cool fodder. I will get a couple for crispy burnt guys in bombed & burnt vehicle dio.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Suicide bombers? I would think pipe bombs being strapped to these guys would work against them, all it would take is a well placed shot by LL to take them out, but I suppose that would also cause alot of collateral damage?

Probably not. From the looks of it these guys run on a constant supply of the reanimation agent. Without it they just become corpses.

If they really are pipe bombs I reckon they're mainly for killing anyone trying to carry one off for research.

I don't imagine it'd work after the first couple of encounters. They'd be eliminated from a distance, like you said.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Or maybe once they are converted they have some sort of rudimentary training that allows them use of pipe bombs?

With a pull activated fuse, all they have to do is toss them around which would make them more cost effective than a simple one use suicide bomber.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I wanted one to just have him, but I can't see buying multiples. They could've cut some of that gear that Tunnel Rat got and given this guy either another head, or a weapon or another canister at least. The holes in his helmet prove to me that they intended to load this guy up with canisters but bailed to cut costs, although there are only 3 helmet holes and 4 in his back for canisters, so that's odd...

I really like the idea Rick had. If these turn out to be easier to find or we get a repaint in the Retaliation line, I think it'd be cool to go the crispy route. The colors bug me, but I think they were just going the kid-friendly route there.

I also feel like they were trying to go the Bio- route in this guy, too. At least with the tentacled arms.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Or maybe once they are converted they have some sort of rudimentary training that allows them use of pipe bombs?

With a pull activated fuse, all they have to do is toss them around which would make them more cost effective than a simple one use suicide bomber.

Way more sentience than I'm gonna give my zombies.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I wanted one to just have him, but I can't see buying multiples. They could've cut some of that gear that Tunnel Rat got and given this guy either another head, or a weapon or another canister at least. The holes in his helmet prove to me that they intended to load this guy up with canisters but bailed to cut costs, although there are only 3 helmet holes and 4 in his back for canisters, so that's odd...

I really like the idea Rick had. If these turn out to be easier to find or we get a repaint in the Retaliation line, I think it'd be cool to go the crispy route. The colors bug me, but I think they were just going the kid-friendly route there.

I also feel like they were trying to go the Bio- route in this guy, too. At least with the tentacled arms.

The con pics showed him with a full hose and canister set up. No "intended" about it.

That's fine if you two want to paint them black and call them charred corpses, I just think it's a waste. Jedem das Seine and all that.

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I have Con pics archived on my laptop, I'll have to check out how they had him geared up. I couldn't remember whether or not he had more then or not. Did he have 3 or 4 canisters? Where'd the fourth one connect? Or was it a "reserve" type canister?

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Which zombie movie was it that had "Bub" the zombie and he somehow remembered/figured out how to shoot a gun? Not sentience, just lingering abilities.

And on the above photo, I count three hoses, although they could probably be hooked up in series if one were so inclined.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Which zombie movie was it that had "Bub" the zombie and he somehow remembered/figured out how to shoot a gun? Not sentience, just lingering abilities.

And on the above photo, I count three hoses, although they could probably be hooked up in series if one were so inclined.

C.H.U.D.

They're your zombies, have them do what you like.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
Oh man, I love CHUD! Did you know that was one of John Goodmans first movie roles?

Yeah, to each their own. I'll be happy to even find ONE! :)

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Same here.

John was in that? Maybe I should watch it.

flint-wo2

Enlisted
Jun 4, 2011
New Zealand
Barbed wire? Pipe bombs? Seriously? They should have gone with the barbed wire...would have made them that much more bad-ass.

I suppose a few coils of BW that came with Dusty could easily be straightened out and added.

The more I think about it, the more dirty this sounds on behalf of Cobra...and I like it!

Fantastic review MB, and superb photos!

I think the bombs are filled with compound z.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
It really is a shame you have to buy 4 to get one in proper "full" mode.

Dropshipbob

Turtlenap, Hanger Alpha
Mar 29, 2011
K, how did you manage getting four? I know you had one from MB? WM finally get some stock in?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Walmart got 2 cases and there were 3 left. I fell on them like a starving man on some Doritos.