Rex's Ultimate Rock N Roll

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
I never cared much for the 25th Rock N Roll. He was a lame kitbash, with the only "cool" parts being his double-strapped bullet belts and his weapon. The tiny cranium was laughable with its beady little eyes, and the crappy Duke arms and rehashed greenshirt basic body that was already overused by wave 2 back in 2008, when RnR debuted in the "modern" sculpt.

Then they released the comic pack one, which was leaps and bounds better, but still had that awful head. When I got mine, I swapped out the gear and belts from the single-carded figure just to break up some of the greens a little bit.

What I kept hoping for was a V2 RnR redone in 25th, the badass design from '89. When Resolute came around, they sort of used that look, and I figured maybe we'd get him. So far it's 2011, and nada. Since I always loved the '89 look much more than the '82 version, but really liked the double-gun-belt harness, I dug through my parts bin and cobbled together what I will call my "ultimate" RnR. The head, as is the drill with most of my customs, is from Slayer Design Studios. The figure is somewhat of a hybrid between V1 and V2, and retains my favorite elements. I liked the Airborne helmet I gave him, so the hat and helmet are removable and interchangeable, depending on the mission. If POC did an updated RnR, this is how I'd want him to look.

Recipe:
Head: Slayer Design Studios
Torso/arms: Greatest Battles Duke
Legs: 25th General Hawk
Belt: Roadblock
Chest belt: Rock N Roll, Nightforce Tunnel Rat
Headgear: Airborne (helmet), Nightfox (ballcap)

Last edited:

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
LOVE IT!!!...but we've already talked about that...

i've always really liked the the v2 version also, though not necessarily the harness that was molded onto him...i too very much like the double ammo belt of v1, though, unlike you, i still really like the v1 design and all of the O13...i wouldnt mind seeing all of the O13 updated with the Zap parts...

i love the cap, very v2-y...not so much the helmet...and if i were you i'd cut off the strap of the TR belt and just leave the two ammo belts...i know that the gun would then be attached to the ammo belt, but the extra strap just looks too cluttered IMHO...

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
LOVE IT!!!...but we've already talked about that...

i've always really liked the the v2 version also, though not necessarily the harness that was molded onto him...i too very much like the double ammo belt of v1, though, unlike you, i still really like the v1 design and all of the O13...i wouldnt mind seeing all of the O13 updated with the Zap parts...

i love the cap, very v2-y...not so much the helmet...and if i were you i'd cut off the strap of the TR belt and just leave the two ammo belts...i know that the gun would then be attached to the ammo belt, but the extra strap just looks too cluttered IMHO...

I can't stand half the O13 guys. I wish they'd updated all of them, but I really hate original Hawk, Grand Slam, Grunt, Short-Fuze and probably even Flash, too, to be honest because they're so boring. If the 25th Zap hadn't been so awesome, I'd probably hate him too, but that figure made me like him a lot more than I should. They're mostly mediocre and forgettable when compared to the later guys, although the only reason I like them at all is their "started it all" original linup. RnR was always a standout to me, though, along with the drivers and Stalker/SE/Scarlett, but I always wished that he wasn't so bland. The V2 one was really badass, although I kinda think the gun system he had was a bit too ridiculous, which is why I didn't eBay them.

I like the shoulder harness, as it helps to mimic the V2 harness just a little more, and it beefs him up just a bit more, too.

excellent job. You did an amazing job of painting what i think is the hardest part. The eyes. they are pefect in comparison to a hasbro machine paintjob.

Thanks man. I don't know why he was so beady-eyed to begin with. That light hair and light skin made him look especially cartoonish with the dots for eyes, and he had a little pea head on top of it. I've gotten pretty good at painting eyes, although I still loathe doing it because I rarely get it right the first time.

Rick

Enlisted
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I like your version better especially the head sculpt

Slaymaker

Mostly Ignored
Officer Club
May 13, 2011
Iowa
Looks great! I may have to look at getting that headsculpt one day as well. I have a PoC R-n-R in works as well. I have always liked him, but no figures ever represented him well enough in my opinion. I love his look in Resolute, so I will probably use some of that to inspire me as well. :D