Road Pig by Cloud Strife (Rd. 3)

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Well, this is the 3rd Road Pig custom I've made, and like it's predecessor, I believe it's better than the previous one. Progress!

I'm a big Dreadnok fan, and Road Pig might just be my favorite out of the whole lot, mainly b/c I really dig his design. Anyhow, this time around I took some advice from Mandingo Rex and G.I. Eddie and weathered the black on the figure, and it paid off. I also did a lot of dry-brushing and some shading in order to bring a little more realism to the paint apps.

In the recipe, you'll notice that I didn't use the Road Pig upper legs, but rather, just the bolt pads. The reason for this is that the upper legs were too big for the torso. However, I love the bolt pad and wanted to use it. Then I tried out the Retaliation RB upper legs and they were well proportioned and even had straps that could be used for holding the bolt pads on. So, I departed from the original design a bit in that there are 2 sets of bolts (1 on each thigh) and they are held in place by a pad and multiple straps instead of just 1 strap.

Recipe:

Head - BBTS 7-pack Road Pig cast from Tofu Jesse
Torso - Angel Forge with sculpted cod piece and modded neck
Arms - X-Men Origins: Wolverine Sabretooth
Hands - ROC Lt. Stone
Upper Legs - Retaliation Roadblock
Bolt Pads - dremeled from the upper legs of the Road Pig legs at the Angel Forge
Lower Legs - Road Pig legs at the Angel Forge
Feet - Resolute Roadblock with some sculpting
Wrist-Mounted Crossbow - Angel Forge
Arm Pad Thingie...? - Slayer Design (don't think it's up at Angel Forge yet)
Shoulder Pads - Slayer Design (don't think it's up at Angel Forge yet)
Cinder Block Hammer - Angel Forge

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

Size Comparison Pic:

Just to see the progression of my RP customs:

Last edited:

Mandingo Rex

★★★★★
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Gone Baby, Gone
:thumbsup:

I posted feedback elsewhere, but you know you can do no wrong by me. The weathering looks great, btw. Who suggested such a thing!?

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
Hot damn!...beautiful paint and weathering...I know you said the crossbow is cast, but what about the rope?...it's real string right?...it certainly looks like it...

I bought an extra Hercules specifically to make a huge freaking RP...but it might be more work than it's worth...

WVMojo

Mocha Viper
Jul 20, 2011
Your painting skill makes me hate you in that Videogame-playing-15-year-old-troll-how-dare-you-be-better-at-me-I-should-just-yell-bullshit-and-leave-the-room-just-after-I-call-you-a-cheater-kind of way.

The paint on both of those figures is beautiful. Thanks for killing my dreams of ever being good at customizing.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
:thumbsup:

I posted feedback elsewhere, but you know you can do no wrong by me. The weathering looks great, btw. Who suggested such a thing!?

Thanks, MR! Yeah, I finally worked up the courage to give weathering a shot and it was advice well taken.

I saw your feedback elsewhere... In true KT fashion, I chortled.

Hot damn!...beautiful paint and weathering...I know you said the crossbow is cast, but what about the rope?...it's real string right?...it certainly looks like it...

I bought an extra Hercules specifically to make a huge freaking RP...but it might be more work than it's worth...

Thanks, Eddie! The rope on the crossbow is part of the cast as well.

He looks great. But that Beachhead is aces!

Thanks, Matt! Once I figure out how to make slings the way that I'm wanting to, I'll be posting pics of BH. Not sure when that will be though...

Your painting skill makes me hate you in that Videogame-playing-15-year-old-troll-how-dare-you-be-better-at-me-I-should-just-yell-bullshit-and-leave-the-room-just-after-I-call-you-a-cheater-kind of way.

The paint on both of those figures is beautiful. Thanks for killing my dreams of ever being good at customizing.

LOL... Thanks, and sorry!

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Cloud manages to make a Dreadnok cool. Wonders never cease.

daremo

Officer III
Sep 12, 2011

I was never into Dreadnoks, but this is freaking cool. That is a great looking figure. My only suggestion would be to paint the straps on the thighs the same as the bolt pads.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar

Glad you dig it, KT!

I was never into Dreadnoks, but this is freaking cool. That is a great looking figure. My only suggestion would be to paint the straps on the thighs the same as the bolt pads.

Thanks, daremo!

I actually meant to ask if people thought he would look better with brown straps for the bolt pads, and forgot. I'm kind of torn. I was going to paint them brown, but I kind of dig the black straps, since that's the most common color you see them in, though that doesn't mean they aren't made in brown. I'm unsure of what I want to do...

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
2-core stretcher should be roughly 8, 9/10ths of an inch x 4/10ths +/-?

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Actually, since I have one of those pieces on hand, I did the measurements and it fits pretty close to a 10" block, which is 9.5 x 7.5 x 15.5, (which came out to .52 x .41 x .87 scale, and the block is .5 x .5+ x just about 1") so it's a 10x8x16 cinderblock.

XOC2008: Defending scale cinderblocks since 2013.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
I know the cinder block looks huge in the first pic, b/c of the forced perspective, but I think the side shots show its true size in comparison to the rest of the figure. Looks like Ian did the measurements and math for us though. Thanks, Ian! Close enough for me!

Whatever is most ARAH accurate :D

Ha! In all honesty, I'm probably going to leave it as is at this point. Mainly due to the fact that I don't want to have to paint it black again if I don't like the brown. I'd also have to figure a shade of brown that I want to go with. I wouldn't want it to look the same as the leather pads and boots since the straps aren't leather. Lighter? Darker? I know. I'm lazy and think too much about these things.

Giga Bread

Mega Calories!
Aug 20, 2011
You guys are complaining about a cinder block size on the end of an axe handle?

You realize that thing would have broken within the first couple of hits?

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
You guys are complaining about a cinder block size on the end of an axe handle?

I refrained from bringing it up. :D

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
...You realize that thing would have broken within the first couple of hits?

Haha... That's what I was telling my wife last night when I finished it. It's a completely ridiculous weapon. If I felt like I could sculpt a symmetrical anvil, I'd do something like wry1's anvil-hammer he came up with in his artwork. Granted, it's a ridiculous weapon too, but it looks pretty frickin' cool and at least it's more durable than a cinder block.

BTW, epic custom.

Thanks, Giga!

XOC2008

Caution: Troll Ahead!
Mar 14, 2011
Plainfield, IL
Either the cinder block or the handle. Whatever breaks first.

The tree branch handle would probably be far more resilient than the block. One miss, though, and the block is done if it connects with a wall, the ground, a vehicle. Actually, it'd probably break hitting a person, too.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I think I like the head from your second attempt best...I like head sculpts with expressions...

Hah!...I was thinking the same thing...that chunks broken off would be much cooler looking than slices in it...

But I agree that as ridiculous as it is as a weapon, it's still freaking cool...

Meddatron

I am what I am
Apr 19, 2011
York, Pa
s1193.photobucket.com
3rd time is a charm. Fantastic. The paint is really well done. It all is. You really upped the ante with this guy!

I want this as my secret santa! :D

Does this mean we get more noks in the future? Than I can't wait to see Buzzer. The last version was the best ever, if you outdo that one, wow. Thrasher too. The sculpt on the last one was spectacular.

Cloud Strife

Mako Infused SOLDIER
Apr 16, 2011
Midgar
Thanks, MW and Medd!

3rd time is a charm. Fantastic. The paint is really well done. It all is. You really upped the ante with this guy!

I want this as my secret santa! :D

Does this mean we get more noks in the future? Than I can't wait to see Buzzer. The last version was the best ever, if you outdo that one, wow. Thrasher too. The sculpt on the last one was spectacular.

I do plan on doing more 'Noks. I plan on using Giga's designs as well, at least for the ones that he's done (no Gnawgahyde, Thrasher, Zartan, Zandar or Zarana yet). I'm actually wanting to do them along the lines of wry1's artwork; mercs instead of bikers.

If I had the time and gumption to make another one, I would do it as Secret Santa. My lack of follow-through prevents me from committing though :eek:.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
What sucks is detailing figs with paint apps and weathering and washes...then they make the rest of your factory fresh figs look like, well, toys...

Byrnes

Ghetto Fabulous
Feb 29, 2012
Flesh tone looks awesome. Another amazing custom.

Last edited: