Rucksacks and Military Equipment Castings

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Newest 3D rendering of the next model to be produced; a tropical rucksack with a 5-quart canteen, claymore, 2-quart canteen and an XM-28 protective mask carrier.

I have new prototypes of the lightweight ruck in 1:18 being shipped as I write this. When I get some extra time, I'll work on shoulder straps and seeing whether casting will provide a cheaper alternative to printing on a mass scale. Once that's figured out, I'll be able to offer my first line of three with a couple more variations to come.

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
Not sure how you're gonna work out the strap issue, but I'm interested to see what you come up with.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Wow those are sweet, I'm in for 5 or 6 wen there ready !!

Fuckin' A! I'm glad to hear it. As someone who is financing this out of pocket, that helps to keep me on track as I navigate this. Plus, it makes a difference to my modeler to know we're making something people want.

I'm working on the shoulder straps as I write this. They may not be as detailed as I hoped, but for 1:18 they need to be functional. They'll probably be a better version of the PTE style straps; i.e., I'll have to make miniature shoulder straps out of OD elastic and nylon ribbon. More to follow on that...

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I received the 1:18 lightweight ruck prototype in today. Here are some product demo photos.

As you can see, right now I'm having to go with the PTE option for shoulder straps. Please keep in mind that these are still very much prototypes. So far, printing shoulder straps is proving to be infeasible. The elastic with the nylon is the most flexible option, but I do intend to spruce it up so that they more closely resemble shoulder straps.

The purpose of these photos is to give you gents an idea of the scale and detail when placed on a figure.

21st Century SSG Bob Barnes with the radio.

1LT Falcon with the rucksack.

Again, the clear plastic is the "frosted high detail" print material. Although it's harder to see the details, it is more suitable for casting.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Next prototype going up for print:

Which feeds into:

Today I received a successful printing of the tropical rucksack with the 5-quart canteen and the claymore bag. I'll post photos of that when I get time.

Both the LAW and the rucksack will be printed and offered for sale. For the first time that I am aware of, the M-72 LAW will be printed in the correct scale.

I can anticipate K-Tiger's response...

Yes, I know that this is an M-72A1 LAW. Inert copies of the original M-72 LAW are as rare as frog's hair. They can be found, but I wanted to start with what I physically have on hand. When I can find good photo references of one, I'll forward those on to my modeler. My inert M-72A1 is dated 1970 and the good news is that this style is applicable all the way through modern dios since the M-72A7 being used in combat now consists of the same tube style.

Last edited:

K-Tiger

All solutions are final.
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
I'm not so much of a rivet counter that I care about the precise model correct for any given date. Hell, I'm the guy that wants a 1:18 trench gun for my Vietnam era customs. How many trench configuration M97s, M12s or M37s were in Vietnam? I'd be surprised if there were any.

;):D

Last edited:

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
I'm not so much of a rivet counter that I care about the precise model correct for any given date. Hell, I'm the guy that wants a 1:18 trench gun for my Vietnam era customs. How many trench configuration M97s, M12s or M37s were in Vietnam? I'd be surprised if there were any.

;):D

I agree. Shotguns in Vietnam is a mixed bag, although I'm sure I've seen the Model 97, the Stevens and Ithaca 37's in photos. I just couldn't tell you where. But along those lines is why I mentioned the date on the LAW. The precise model correct for a given date.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Thanks to K-Tiger, I have a solution for the shoulder straps...

Hockey Tape!

I had seen the tutorials on making plate carriers and pouches with it, but it never dawned on me to use it on my rucks until KT mentioned it. It is a much better alternative to elastic or ribbon and it's the best I can do until I have a way of producing sophisticated vinyl or soft plastic shoulder straps.

Here are prototype photos. The shoulder straps will receive some more refinement, but you get the idea. Please excuse the poor lighting. I wanted to get this update done when I had some time. I'll post more photos that show the pack details when I can.

And here is the Rucksack with the LAW:

I wasn't thrilled with the shape of the 2-quart canteen. I had it revised and an updated version will be printed this month.

This week I'll be working hard on casting these and making consistent shoulder straps. I hope to have copies to sell by the end of this month.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Here are 3D images of the last two rucks I am doing for now. You may be asking yourself why I did a few different variants of each...

The reason is that, if you're like me, and you're outfitting a squad, you don't want every man wearing the same thing. There are so many different possibilities and permutations that I couldn't possibly do them all. But I wanted to provide some variety.

Tropical Ruck with Bandoleer and 5-Quart Canteen:

Lightweight Ruck with Machete and Claymore Mine:

At this point, I'm still working on getting successful casting molds. It's a trial and error process and sometimes the models break while being molded and popped into and out of the putty.

I'll post photos of castings soon.

Apache26

Enlisted
Feb 3, 2013
Yes and no. I'll soon have high quality Shapeways prototypes of all the rucks I had modeled. Unfortunately, life has taken some twists and turns this summer. On top of my Nat'l Guard summer training and family vacation my family is moving in a couple of months. That has meant a month of non-stop packing and cleaning to get a house ready to put on the market.

When thing quiet down in a week I'll be able to spend some serious time developing the molds and perfecting the casts. When I have all of the prototypes printed and in hand, I'll post photos of them all.

I also have my 3D modeler working on some weapons. I'm starting with what I have in my gun safe - namely an M-1897 trench gun, an XM-16E1, an M-16A1 and possibly an M-16A4 with a BUIS, EOTECH and ghetto grip.

Please excuse how slow it's going. Life happens, but the project isn't dead!