Scratch Built Half-Timber Ruin

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
i had a talk with the guys, we all decided you ain't allowed to post here no more..

but first you have to explain to me the screen window, because i was just doing this the past week, and trying different glues and things. this been something i worked on years ago, but my first idead sucked. and i'm curious what materials you used.

Thanks everyone for the compliments!

i had a talk with the guys, we all decided you ain't allowed to post here no more..

but first you have to explain to me the screen window, because i was just doing this the past week, and trying different glues and things. this been something i worked on years ago, but my first idead sucked. and i'm curious what materials you used.

This is the house I modeled the H-T after:

I can't find the picture that has the windows with the wire mesh, but that is what I tried to simulate in the windows here, in this model. It wasn't supposed to be so much of a screen as it was to be a mesh, or grill as part of the window. Anyway, what I did was: take the smallest scale plastic screen you can find at Lowe's or the Home Depot (or wherever) and the remains of the plastic bubble from your of your favorite fig's. Cut a small section of screen, give it a 1/4 turn and use a dab of super glue here and there (apply sparingly with a toothpick) to adhere to aforementioned plastic. The frosting on the window came naturally from the dull cote.

I'll see if I can locate the screen I used (might still have it buried someplace).

unclassified

THE AYATROLLA KHOMEINI
Jan 31, 2012
the garden state of eden
Thanks everyone for the compliments!

This is the house I modeled the H-T after:

I can't find the picture that has the windows with the wire mesh, but that is what I tried to simulate in the windows here, in this model. It wasn't supposed to be so much of a screen as it was to be a mesh, or grill as part of the window. Anyway, what I did was: take the smallest scale plastic screen you can find at Lowe's or the Home Depot (or wherever) and the remains of the plastic bubble from your of your favorite fig's. Cut a small section of screen, give it a 1/4 turn and use a dab of super glue here and there (apply sparingly with a toothpick) to adhere to aforementioned plastic. The frosting on the window came naturally from the dull cote.

I'll see if I can locate the screen I used (might still have it buried someplace).

i had a feeling that is what you did, and actually is the same thing i did. but metal screen. how crazy is it that we thought of the same shit. i thought i invented it, lol and wanted to blow everyone away with the idea when i posted it... i tried the crazy glue, but it made the plastic cloudy, so i didn't wanna do that. i need it clear. and since you did the same as me and explained what you did, i will say what i figured out. crazy glue don't work, not for clarity, i used model glue, it dried clear and bonded.

i was in my shed a few years ago and seen screen, and was like damn, turn it and it becomes wired glass. my first attempt was the orange plastic on a clemintines crate, i painted it and the paint fell off, so that sucked. then found the screen and it all happened.

just the other day i noticed the screen is tough and hard to lay flat. then i started to think maybe the fiberglass screen lays flat and is very thin and managable.

that's crazy..

anyway, fantastic job, and please post more of your work..

Last edited: