Sharpie paint pen?

Magnaprime

The Unwashed
Nov 15, 2015
Maine, USA
Hey all, so I'm very new to customizing. I've been reading a lot of posts and tutorials, and by and large I'm using testors model masters acrylic paints. I have a figure that I need to make some thing blue lines on, and was wondering if anyone had tried using a sharpie paint pen? It's an oil based paint with an extra fine tip. I don't want it to smear or get super tacky, so I might be better sticking with the model master, it would just be a lot more convenient if I could draw the lines on. Thanks!

Contraband

Controlled Substance
Mar 26, 2014
I used them long long ago,..or the testors versions in the early 90's/late 80's? I can't recommend them.

I come from a scale modeling background,so I tend to look at stuff as if it was a 1:72nd scale Blackhawk:trollface: if it's not organic no matter how trained your hands are it'll never look right...that's where masking comes in. If it where me? I'd buy either masking film,or tape to pull off the lines you need. That's me.

G.I.*EDDIE

gobbles a LOT of cock
Founder
Mar 14, 2011
S.E. Mich :(
IF you use it, don't use it on bare soft plastics...it will never fully dry. It'll be tacky forever. Paint soft plastics with acrylic first.

CoreyD

Enlisted
May 3, 2015
DC
Unless you're doing panel lining, and it doesn't sound like you are, I would avoid using oil based paints on plastics.

Have you looked for line water slide decals? Not sure if I've ever seen blue colored line decals, but black and white are pretty common.

Magnaprime

The Unwashed
Nov 15, 2015
Maine, USA
Thanks for the replies, I'll avoid using it on figures. I'll likely try masking, as I tried to freehand the line with model master acrylic and messed it up. Spent quite a while cleaning it up after that. I haven't looked in to water slides much yet, but they seem useful. Once I get somewhat used to painting that might be my next step.